Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zackin

Anyone have raised dishwasher?

zackin
11 years ago

I've been glued to GW for months, while trying to settle on a plan for my oddly shaped kitchen. I have a couple of questions at this point and would love to have advice from everyone here.

I'm thinking of having my dishwasher raised about 6", with a glass fronted hutch on top. While this is not a necessity in any way, we're in our 60's and think not having to bend to put dishes in and out will be better for us in the long run and more convenient generally. I'm just not sure whether it looks ok aesthetically.

Counter space looks like a problem, but I don't think it will be, since we'll have the big peninsula and a large kitchen table in the middle of the room.

Has anyone done this?

Many, many thanks for your opinions.

Comments (15)

• deedles
    11 years ago

I had considered this but also didn't want to lose the counter space. Have you considered dishwasher drawers? I've decided to go with one tall one so I don't have to stoop and bend. Supposedly one tall DWD fits 7(?) place settings worth of dishes. Since I always wash the pots and big stuff by hand, I figure this would be good for the 2 of us.

• zackin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much, kadiekins for the encouragement. I'm beginning to be convinced that it does look balanced.

Deedles, my sister had DW drawers and was not happy with them.They never drained well and were not as easy to use as she had hoped. It's entirely possible that the particular brand was the problem, but it's persuaded me not to try drawers anyway.

Thanks to you both.

• zackin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much, kadiekins for the encouragement. I'm beginning to be convinced that it does look balanced.

Deedles, my sister had DW drawers and was not happy with them.They never drained well and were not as easy to use as she had hoped. It's entirely possible that the particular brand was the problem, but it's persuaded me not to try drawers anyway.

Thanks to you both.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Deedles, I know there are several represented in the Finished Kitchens Blog. It's not being updated, but there are old versions there. I remember one from a stunning blue-counter kitchen.... She had something like two islands or peninsulas and angles here or there, so she could afford to lose the counter space. I loved her kitchen... don't remember the name though.

If you can't find it after looking through the archives (which should yield several other example too), let me know (offlist). I can find the owner's email....

• cam349
    11 years ago

Here's an inspiration photo from my kitchen folder. I'm planning something similar except there will be a drawer below the hutch doors so you can set something on the counter and open the doors too. The dishwasher I'm using is a panel ready Bosch.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I think it's a great idea. My mom moved into a duplex when she was she was around 80 and was perfectly healthy. The kitchen had a regular height DW, although for some reason it seems lower than most - probably just a crummy door. In any case, as the years went on she developed a lung disease (pulmonary fibrosis - don't ever get it!!). It got to the point that when she bent over to put something in, she just couldn't get a breath and you could hear her "grunt." If you've ever heard a newborn with breathing issues, it sounds like that. One of my brothers moved in to help her out and he eventually got emphysema. Now he has trouble with the dishwasher, especially since he's really tall. The moral of this story is, you never know what's coming down the road. A lift in the DW now can be enjoyed now and may be a real boon later.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

If possible, i think you should. I was hoping to but I'd have to gut the kitchen to do it and I'm not up for that. OR raise it where it is - just to the left of the sink w/no space between it and the sink - and it'd butt up on the other side to the corner area. That'd be just too weird! To the right of the sink it'd butt up to the fridge - which would be ok w/me IF there was any space between it and the sink! If I had any logical option for it, I'd do it.

this is a display I took at our local Lowe's -

this is nancy's from the 'small home' forum

• melaska
    11 years ago

We are building now and a raised dishwasher as well as a wall oven was a must have for me since I have back issues.

This is the north wall of our L-shaped kitchen with island. I just made sure it was near the end of a counter run so it didn't impede other functions. There is space between the dw & edge of sink as well. I'll have the microwave above the dw.

I am SO looking forward to even having a dishwasher since I haven't had one for most of our almost 35 years of marriage. :)

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

• sameboat
    11 years ago

I love the idea of raising the dishwasher. The basket in my dishwasher is on the door, and when I examined the dishwasher in the store it did not occur to me that the dishwasher floor model was raised. So here at home, my back kills when I have to empty or stack the bottom dishes and silverware! I have to reach almost all the way down to the floor! Ridiculous!

• zackin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! Raising the dishwasher is a done deal. I'm aiming for a look similar to the photo provided by cam349, only the hutch will have a slim bottom drawer for silverware.

I appreciate the photos and advice.

• macybaby
    11 years ago

I love mine - though I have lots of other counterspace so this one is dedicated to the dish rack.

• MuleHouse
    11 years ago

I was going to put one in but my entire kitchen is 1 wall, 18 feet long. Due to issues with the integrity of the wall, I'm putting wall cabinets directly on the counter top. This reduces my counter surface and I gave up the wonderful benefit a raised dishwasher would give. Also, with the DW next to a sink, we would end up with water stains on the raised side of the DW cabinet. We're messy people. :(

If you have the space, go for it.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

I am in the process of having one installed, 12 inches raised, with a shallow cabinet sitting on top. I thought that since I was doing it, why not raise it where it will make a big difference to my back! I too will have a small counter between the sink and dw for my everlasting drying rack.

Macybaby, I never saw your finished product--it's beautiful!! And do I remember that you did this yourselves? Great, great job.

• JC Desiderata
    last month

I'm planning to do this

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County