Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caffeinequeen_gw

Pantry cabinets vs. bifold closet

caffeinequeen
13 years ago

Need advice on another kitchen remodel question: We have a 5-foot space that currently houses a 24 inch wall oven and a 36 inch pantry cabinet with ROTs. We plan to relocate the oven, and are considering a 5-foot wide, 24 inch deep pantry closet with bifold doors rather than wood cabinetry in this location. It will be our only pantry storage. It's an area of the kitchen that is somewhat hidden from view anyway. Any thoughts on closet vs. pantry?

Comments (15)

• eustacem
    13 years ago

FWIW, I like the idea. You would have tons of space in there to store food, and also perhaps larger items difficult to fit in cabinets. And, it would save you some money on cabinets, if that is a concern.

• melaska
    13 years ago

I've been doing a lot of poking around Houzz.com You can make idea books for each room...I have this pantry in my kitchen book. Looks like they are using a pocket door here...don't know if that would work for you, though. I think bifold doors are fine with a closet-type pantry.

I'll link a Houzz page on pantry idea books below - looks like I need to poke around some more :)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by boston interior designer Marie

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by boston interior designer Marie

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz pantry photo idea books

• clergychick
    13 years ago

My pantry is exactly what you describe. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the bi-fold doors, and had dreamed of putting cabinets in that space when we remodeled, but the cost was HUGE! So, I live with the doors, and it's a bit out of the main space (so doesn't show much), and there is a lot of flexibility: ours is for food storage.

Now if mine was neat and beautiful like that Houzz pantry, I'd be eager to take a pic of the inside, but it's just deep shelves in various levels of organization.

(You can see it closed up in this pic -- to the right of the fridge)

HTH! -- Amy

• melaska
    13 years ago

Clergychick...I love your kitchen - especially the colors. Your pantry is in a great place. Do you have more pics of your kitchen?

• caffeinequeen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! Clergychick, your pantry is in the exact same location ours will be, in a corner set back from the fridge. Seeing your photo has inspired me to go with it. And thanks Melaska - I love the idea of having some deep counter-height space in there for appliances.

• countrydi
    13 years ago

We inherited a small pantry with bifold doors, and it works great. We have elfa shelving floor to ceiling and total flexibility because of the open space inside.

In fact, in the upcoming remodel, we're converting the laundry room to a huge pantry room, with spare fridge and freezer, extra prep space, and wall-to-wall pantry space. I was going to put cabinets along that wall, but decided it made more sense to put 2 sets of double doors and elfa inside, just like our current pantry only much bigger. 10' of floor-to-ceiling pantry/storage shelving that I can close off ... can't wait!!!!

One advantage of an open closet rather than cabinets is easy access to floor space. I use 40-lb buckets of grains, and can slide them in and out easily, directly on the floor. No lifting. :-)

• clergychick
    13 years ago

Glad I could provide some inspiration, caffeinequeen!

Melaska, thanks for the compliment! Here is the link to my finished kitchen thread. It is one that disappeared from the list when it got to page four -- who knows why? -- but I found it through Google. The first note has the link to the photobucket slideshow with more pics.

--Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: clergychick's kitchen

• susanka
    13 years ago

We actually like our pantry with just doors (not bifold). The narrow one on the left end is a broom closet so we have a spot for that also. Don't have the knobs on in this photo, and the crooked veggie/fruit photos are no longer there! Ours are only 12 or so inches deep, plenty of room for the two of us, and no wasted space to have to walk in and out of a pantry.

• gillycat
    13 years ago

another big yes for the cupboard vs cabinet
    However I do not like bi-fold doors.
    You just can never get into the one side.

• clergychick
    13 years ago

Caffeinequeen -- just wanted to say "thanks" to you. The more I thought about my pantry yesterday, the more I realized that it really is a great, flexible space! I had mourned not being able to put in cabinets, but now I am appreciating what I have -- even if it has bi-fold doors.
    So thanks for turning my head around on that! -- Amy

• melaska
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting your kitchen pics for me, clergychick.

You should definitely put it in the Finished Kitchen Blog - I'll link it below. rhome410 told me about it. I've been living there getting all kinds of inspiration.

I absolutely love your mantle/hood! The mirror is so charming. You must feel so happy when you work in your beautiful kitchen. I can't wait for my day :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished kitchen blog

• clergychick
    13 years ago

Thanks, melaska.
    I did submit my pics/link to Starpooh who does the FKB. Guess you could say it's "in process."

Your day is coming!

• doraville
    13 years ago

I went from bifolds to custom pantry with ordered doors. I would do it again in a heartbeat. An alternative I considered was ordering bifold doors to match the cabinets which were shaker style. If I had gone with painted cabs, it would have been easy to match. What my contractor did was to order the doors and build the cabinet.

From Kitchen
    From Kitchen
    From Kitchen

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Depending on the width, I would think about solid doors rather than bifold. That way, I could put shelves (basket-type?) on the backside of the doors for additional storage of small/light items.