Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steph2000

Beautiful blue tile posted a while ago?

steph2000
11 years ago

I'm officially in information overload, I think... This might not be the first such post you see from me in the time to come. It's clear I'm going to have to come up with a better organization system of top contenders, because I am losing track of all kinds of good stuff.

A while back on GW, there was a picture of a 4x4 (I think) blue tile used as a backsplash. It had some variation of color. It was one of the few colorful tiles I've seen that I could actually find myself drawn towards. As such, I want to consider it for a possible color board along with some more earthy options as I move along here (I am going to move along here, right?)

I'd sure appreciate it if someone remembers the picture/tile I am not doing a very good job of describing. Otherwise, I'll just keep digging through these darn files...

Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

What shade of blue? Was it ceramic? Handpainted like this?

• steph2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, circuspeanut. My memory isn't perfect, but it seemed the tile was close to that color. It was applied floor to ceiling in the picture.

I've been digging through my files and looking at the threads. I think it might be one of those unfortunate examples of a pic disappearing after a time. I keep forgetting that happens a lot around here.

In my digging, I did happen to run across the pic sas95 posted of a Walker Zanger Ceramica Alhambra in green tones going floor to ceiling, which is also stunning and in an earthy green colorway. Egads, it is gorgeous.

I wonder what happened to that blue one...perhaps it will show up.

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

This probably wasn't it, was it? From the "only one clown" thread:

• steph2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hm, not this one. It seemed somehow soft, toned and somehow subtle, though definitely blue. I'm not having any luck at all... I am, however, falling in love with the greenish tiles above. lol

Thanks so much for trying, circuspeanut. I really have GOT to start finding a way to save things in a way that makes sense - and I can access later.

On a sidenote, I listened to some fascinating TED talks on happiness recently. One segment profiled a researcher whose work focuses on about how options create happiness. The next segment was from a researcher who is looking at how too many options creates UNhappiness and increasing paralysis as people are bombarded with so many options, they become increasingly convinced they can't make a 'right' decision. He commented on the 70-odd options for salad dressing available at his grocery store. I thought about paint colors, tile choices, etc. They did a study and found that if a retirement/investment plan offered more than 3-5 options, the rate of signing up kept decreasing as people felt increasingly unsure about which investment portfolio to sign up for. I can really relate to this research!

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Any idea how long ago? Was it in a kitchen of a GWer or just a linked photo? Was it a kitchen in the Pacific Northwest with a glass counter top on one surface? Anything to jog our collective memory?

• steph2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi there, kitchendetective. It was definitely a linked photo. I was so focused on the tile, I failed to retain any other information... I looked at a thread last night called "Tiles with color variations" which I had saved to my personal files. The thread was started by Linelle and the picture was a flicker pic which has since disappeared. I'm wondering now if that was the blue kitchen...

That's not much to go on, is it? Unfortunately, it's the best I've got at this point. I'm still digging through my files, though.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

How about this? http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0320024019508.html Scroll halfway down

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll halfway down

• leela4
    11 years ago

Was it Angie's thread about tile??

Here is a link that might be useful: Angie_DIY thread on tile

• steph2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alas, drbeanie2000 and leela4, it's neither of those threads, though they are both great sources. I'm beginning to fear I dreamed it... could I be that obsessed? ;:

Thanks so much for your efforts to help out here. It is very much appreciated.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

If this is the one, I'm fairly certain it is one of Marc Whitman's baths. The tile is from RTK Studio, Ojai, CA. I have some of his mother's art and have met him a couple of times, so this stands out in my mind. We used to board horses up there.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

There's another old one but probably not it:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0719505831020.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue countertops/backsplash thread

• irishlaw1
    11 years ago

I have a thing for dragonfly08's tile. But, it isn't 4x4, and it might not be blue. :)

• localeater
    11 years ago

This thread has beautiful 6X6 and a link to a blue 4x4, neither is a picture tile in a kitchen though, sorry

Here is a link that might be useful: tile

• steph2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, localeater, irishlaw1, drbeanie2000 and kitchendetective, for your efforts here. If nothing else, this thread is turning into a collection of a very wide variety of blue tiles that just might benefit someone someday.

Unfortunately, all of our digging is not turning it up. Hm. I really wonder if it is a pic that got deleted from a thread... Darn.

I'll be sure to post if I find it!