Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golfer57_gw

Over the rang design too small?

golfer57
10 years ago

Hey guys,

im getting to the finish line on my superwhite kitchen...and after getting opinions on my pulls and on my backsplash from this forum..i just gotta ask one more question...is my over the range design too small???...i think i should have gone a few inches wider ..i think it may be too late to add on inches anyways, but i over think everything and would love too see what you guys think since gardenweb has been my acting kitchen designer so far and you guys haven't let me down yet.

i was thinking it may look a lil small since the rest of the tile isnt up yet and the range is missing....but im not sure and dont want them to continue before its too late..but i think it may be already!! thanks again

Comments (11)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

As a design professional, the tile design is lovely and perfectly proportioned IMO. You'll think so too when all the pieces come together.

• User
    10 years ago

Are you really asking, "Is my new baby ugly?". Or are you asking, "My baby isn't ugly, is he?" There's a difference. One wants honesty. One wants reassurance.

• taggie
    10 years ago

^^ ??? I guess hollysprings thinks it should be bigger?

OP, I think you have the proportions just right. Remember that when your rangetop goes in the grates will be higher than the counters beside it, so you dont want to start the design too low. It looks like your tilesetter took that into consideration so it should look well proportioned when your rangetop goes in.

Btw, I think your design is beautiful.

• User
    10 years ago

As I really don't coo over babies of any kind, I'll give you honesty. No, I don't think the scale of the square panel behind the range is too small. And I think the tile itself is gorgeous. It's a wonderful choice! It would look better as the entire backsplash than as a panel though. The scale of the design encased in the square is off. It needs a smaller pattern scale for the size of the panel. Or the pattern needs to occupy the entire space so as to appreciate it's scale.

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the honest input so far..on a side note..do you guys think i should use a white grout for the marble subway tiles or a gray grout?

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

It really seams that you are past the point of no return without incurring a significant expense and delay in getting your kitchen done. I think it looks fine. Stop second guessing yourself.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

There is already a thread that will list all the reasons to use either white or grey. This is a repaste of lt grey grout and dark grey grout.

You'll have to make this choice yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: White versus Grey Grout for White Subway Tile

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I'm all for honesty. I think the pattern should have filled the entire area and allowed the sweeping pattern to act like it continues on and disappears. My eyes and mind are trying to follow the sweeping lines and can't - it's a little disturbing.

I don't like the fact the borders stop the sweeping pattern so abruptly. can you remove the borders and continue the sweeping pattern with more tile?

It's kind of like looking at a holiday picture and only seeing half a castle - where is the rest of it?

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

@blfenton - It looks to me like they stopped to let the panel above the range set up before completing the rest of the tile.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

But don't they have those fancy framing tiles already installed and set? Maybe I'm not seeing this thing properly and I could be confused. Won't be the first or last time. :)

• golfer57
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blfenton .. You r correct. They are not set but that's where the design stops. They will finish with the subway marble tile around. I found out its already set in so I guess it's a mute point now. Thanks again everyone for all the input.