Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
messyguy

feedback for my kichen layout please

messyguy
9 years ago

Please, give feed back for my kitchen layout. I have some reservation with the cook top at the corner in this layout. I want the cooktop on a wall counter run instead of an island for better ventilation, but our fridge, prep- sink, cook top counter run is a little short, therefore, our kitchen designer want to push to cooktop into the corner ! Thanks everyone!!!
PS: the dotted lines are current walls to be removed during the renovation.

Comments (10)

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

The biggest issue I see is that, for the total amount of kitchen real estate and countertop real estate, you have apportioned a disproportionally large amount to sinks and drainboards, hogging counter space. If you reduce this then you will have better options for cooktop location. Putting a cooktop in a corner is a crazy solution. Is that yet another sink to the right of the cooktop?

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I think that is an awkward layout that would be uncomfortable and possibly unsafe to work in. This is a 10th attempt? I'd want to start with someone new.

Is this a reno or new build? What are you starting with and what limitations are you having to work around (are those windows fixed, ,etc.). What are your needs and priorities? How many cooks? How many diners? Kids?

It's hard to offer improvements without knowing a bit more about the situation, but I'd never want to live or work in that space. You are right to have reservations.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm a bit confused by the drawing. On the window wall, I see a fridge, what appears to be a gigantic sink, a cooktop and something next to the cooktop that I cannot identify. On the island (how long is the island?), I see another gigantic sink.

What I don't get is what the shaded area at the right side of the island is, nor do I understand what the shaded area perpendicular to the sink wall is (between "hot prep" and "ovens").

I'd start over with attempt no. 11, but we need a little more help to get started!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

There's another sink in the dining area.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Here is a quick play with your space just to get some ideas on the table. And some questions.

Is that a window in the middle of the pantry?

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

That is possibly the most terrible, unsafe, dysfunctional layout I've ever seen. Miles of countertop and you're cooking in the corner? Also, why are there two huge (and one small??) sinks?

Bellsmom's layout is much more functional.

edit: Bellsmom, yes, OP stated those dotted lines are walls to be removed.

This post was edited by tracie.erin on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 15:13

• messyguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry everyone for the confusion.
    -The oval shape on the corner is actually not a sink, but a vegetable steamer. There is a DW on the left of the sink on the island. The window in the middle of the pantry will be gone. Yes, the beverage center shares wall with powder room.
    Thanks

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Do you really want your DW so far from the dish storage?
    Do you really want to remove the only window on that long wall? Natural light is a treasured benefit in most kitchens.
    That "hot prep" corner looks totally unusable to me.
    What size are the various sinks?
    Where you envision prep? Why put cleanup and DW so far from available storage?

I really hope so who are better at layout than I will come along and help you. I would NOT want to cook in the kitchen your original plan.

• messyguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone, especially Bellsmom for your feedback, we are working with the designer to start over. My wife doesn't feel comfortable with the cooktop in the corner either. We will post the next layout. Thanks!!

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Your design is too sink-heavy (yeah, sinks are great -- but you don't need this many, and they are pretty expensive, especially prep sinks), and you're absolutely right to question that corner cook area.

I don't think I'd go with a built-in vegetable steamer. I steam vegetables (and shrimp and dumplings and all sorts of things) 3-4 times a week, but I use a great little countertop appliance. A small appliance is easier to clean, tucks out of sight for storage, and can be tossed /replaced if it breaks.

Bellsmom's design is spot-on - except that I'd switch the refrigerator with the oven. And I'd consider losing the prep sink. Your main sink is located in a central position, so it's easily accessible to the island prep space. Get the price on that prep sink before you decide to commit to it: An island sink means the plumbing has to go under the flooring -- not an easy option -- and it cuts down on your storage. You have another sink right there in the beverage center, and you have a sink in the adjacent half bath for hand washing.