Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 in backsplash - must it be short lengths?

Posted by miruca (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 3:05

Following a GW lead - we went with a 2 inch back splash that is being fabricated now. They called today and said the granite is fragile and breaking. So for a 173" run it will need to be in 4 or 5 pieces versus a long run.

Has anyone else had backsplash installed in short lengths? I am somehwhat worried that there will so many seams and it will eventually look less than nice. I don't want to be pressured into a 4" backsplash as I do not like it at all and will be irritated looking at it every... even thinking of it irritates me.

This whole granite situation has been a cluster - it is the one part I wish we could do over ... both in choosing the granite and who we are working with. It is a very expensive situation to not be comfortable with the vendor .. and to be thousands of miles away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 in backsplash - must it be short lengths?

Are you married to the idea of a 2" backsplash? Can you abort the mission? If you are not 100% anyway with your granite, and you are facing seams in the b/s, maybe you have enough of that granite for now. Go without a b/s for a bit and then choose another material. Sounds like you are not actually on site? Will you be eventually? I'd wait. Lots of people go without a b/s for a long time over tough decisions.

o

Skip the 2" backsplash and then do a tile BS resting on the countertop. I think the installers will put a bead of clear caulk where the counter meets the wall so water, etc.. wont drip behind the counters and into your cabinets. Then take your time picking out the right tile for your BS.

o

This can be done with some stones like soapstone. but some granite is too brittle. I would probably skip it if it is going to be pieced unless they can epoxy it and make the seams invisible.

o

What kind of granite is it. I ended up removing the 4 inch and was going to cut mine as short as I could. They would only have been comfortable with two inches. Mine is blue pearl and I guess it is pretty hearty. They said no until they found out what type of granite it was. How short are the pieces?

o

By the way, my 4 inch was pieced in more places than I had noticed. They said it was due to the wall. I think they tried to use as much material as efficiently as they could--to their benefit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here