Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisinsd

Reveal! Coastal Modern Kitchen

chrisinsd
9 years ago

Hi all--

It's been a while since I've been on here since I've been busy trying to move back into our house and take care of endless additional details--and move on to landscaping. But I did want to share some photos and details for the GW crowd who has been so helpful to me. What a great resource all of you are collectively--special thanks to Trebuchet and Texasgal for some great insights and advice. Many questions were answered here and other forums--from how many amps I needed for my house to details on DW air gaps. To all--many many thanks! I served as my own kitchen designer here (though our architect conceived the layout) and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

We have a Southern California ranch house built in 1960 that was in largely original condition. The home sits on a beautiful canyon in a great location which is why we bought it. We love this era of architecture and knew we could turn the house into our dream home.

BEFORE -- Our kitchen last June, when we bought this house:

See boxed in kitchen & all the walls and halls we got rid of:

AFTER -- July 25 we moved back in (one month late)!

Floor: Salerno Dove 12 x 24" tile, Eleganza Tile
Cabinets: IKEA Sofielund. IKEA Applad doors for certain upper cabinets.
Hardware: Top Knobs Sanctuary II Collection, Polished Chrome. -- these had quality control issues. A lot of dings and scratched on these--I sent back two batches and had to inspect each one. But I love the look.
Appliances: IKEA Nutid line--Convection Oven, Microwave, Electric Cooktop, Refrigerator. IKEA Renlig integrated DW. IKEA Kovartig wall mounted extractor hood. All made by Whirlpool in USA except MW, which was made by Electrolux in Sweden.
Countertops: Corian Glacier White in matte finish. People who have read my posts can see I have become somewhat an evangelist for this material. Probably because when I started this process I *knew* was getting a whitish quartz (Silestone, Caesarstone or some such thing) because that's what I had been eyeing for years. Then I did all the research we all do on various matters and fell in love with these European kitchens with white Corian. And I do love it installed--the feel of it is really nice--not glassy. I would say however, that if I did it again, I would choose something white with a fleck or slight pattern in it. Good thing Corian is easy to clean because any smudge or greasy fingerprint shows on a bright white countertop that has no variation. The dirt on the granite in my last home always was hidden by the mottled beigey pattern and I hated that I could never tell if the countertops were dirty. Now, I am on the other end of that spectrum. But I do love Corian and think it's overlooked by most folks on GW (previously by myself as well!).
Sink: speaking of Corian--this is the Angolo sink, part of the Corian Vaso Collection. I was unaware it was possible to fall in love with a sink. But I absolutely love this one. This is coolest thing about my new counters and kitchen. And I got that roll out dish drying rack everyone on GW told me about from Amazon!
Faucet: Blanco Linus Pull Out w/Dual Spray, Polished Chrome. I can't remember how many I looked at but I am glad I picked this one. It's great!
Backsplash: Modwalls Brio Blend Cool Pool, glass tile. I had a lot of issues with this and had custom ordered tile that turned out looking like nothing I had expected. Luckily the team there is all about customer satisfaction and quickly solved my issue.
Windows: Milgard Aluminum w/Matteluxe glass. I reduced the height and increased the length of these windows from what was in the previous kitchen and switched them to frosted for some privacy while still providing light--they overlook the front door. The windows are exactly the height of the backsplash and I ran the Corian countertop directly into the window sill so it finishes at the window frame--I have no sill. It looks awesome. And using Corian, this can be seamless.
Under-cabinet Lights: No idea actually--some kind of LED.
Outlets: Notice no outlets on the backsplash, except one req'd per code by the cooktop. The rest are on a "raceway" underneath the upper cabinets. I love this feature! Outlets required by code at either end of island are Legrand Adorne.

I think that's it. We love our new home and well-functioning kitchen. I am so mentally exhausted from this project, however. I can't wait to really enjoy this house after we get some new furniture in here and the yard in shape and I can just relax and enjoy the fruit of my labor.

ChrisInSD

Comments (24)

• Mags438
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen re-do. I have to take another look on a larger screen. It's so open and airy!

• miruca
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love the clean look of the corian and how it goes all the way down the sides of the island. The windows are great - I wish we had done some windows between cabinets. Love the blue with these cabinets and the overall clean modern look.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

What a difference! Congratulations. Enjoy it!

• teeda
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous space! Your design works so well with your home. I love the modern, simple lines combined with varying texture and interesting details. The sink and countertop are just amazing! I was excited to read that it is Corian. I also just installed Corian in my remodel and love it--as you said it feels so good to the touch. And it is so nice not to have to stress over stains, chips, cracks, etc. As they say, "this ain't your momma's Corian"! Thanks for sharing your lovely space!

• ice1
    9 years ago

From someone that lives in Europe, I just love what you have done. The use of white appl. is just what I did in my kitchen and after six years I still am glad I did.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Nice job! It's so serene. I love the blue on the island, great with your backsplash. Can you tell me about the roll out dish drying rack you got from Amazon? I haven't heard about it. If you have a picture, I'd appreciate being able to see it.

Thank you for sharing. Enjoy your wonderful new kitchen.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

This is going to be a joy to live in.
    Imagine when those windows are revealing your new landscaping as well as all that light.
    I really love looking at your kitchen. It wouldn't fit in my home, but it fits perfectly here. The corian is perfect here, and the touch of bright blues, and . . . . .

So happy for you that your dream came true.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

Beautiful - fresh and elegant with the waterfall sided island.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Perfectly designed for your home! Congrats on a job well done, I especially love those cabinets!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Looks great! You must be so pleased with the change. Removing all those walls made quite a difference!

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

OH! OH! OH! Perfect kitchen for your house!
    That's the way I like to see corian; in all its simple glory.
    Confession I've never been to IKEA. I'm just a farm girl with a bit of agoraphobia BUT your kitchen has changed all that! I just love it. Especially the white appliances.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Really, really nice! I'll keep this for future use when/if I should ever redo a condo kitchen. Definitely a European vibe.

Ice: How well have the Applad cabinets held up?

• ice1
    9 years ago

Nosoccermon. Im sorry I was not clear. i have white refridge. White oven In my kitchen. I dont have a Ikea kitchen. Sorry for beiging unclear.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Really sleek and beautiful. That sink is lovely too. I love Corian and integrated sinks!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Oops. appliances not Applad :)

• housebuilder14
    9 years ago

wow - i love the island with the waterfall and the sink. I have been debating between thassos pentalquartz and corian and I keep going back and forth between the two. anything else you can add re: choosing corian. also i love your sink. i thought i would do stainless steel and never even considered corian-- worried about staining plus you cant easily replace it. would love to hear more about that decision too.
    i heard that corian white yellows -- have you heard that? did that worry you.
    thank you

• vdinli
    9 years ago

So sleek and bright. Love the waterfall counters and integrated sink. Enjoy your new space in good health and cheer!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I love it. If anything it fits in with the house more than the original, which is tough to do.

The sink makes the countertop look like it's carved out of a thick block of material.

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

Chris- S*T*U*N*N*I*N*G !!!!

I love the contrast between uppers and lowers - and LOVE the color choice for the lowers.

We should have a round-robin dinner sometime and show off / enjoy our kitchens :)

I'll have pics this week - I HOPE - of our mostly finished one!!

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Wow, I love what you've done with the place!
    It's very interesting that you eventually chose Corian over Quartz. What went into that decision?
    Also, what are raceway outlets?

Love how cohesive all the elements are. I particularly like the tile with cabinets, and the small bit of white cabinetry in the corner. It all looks nicely balanced to me, and also, totally right for the house. You should be a kitchen designer!

• chrisinsd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all--I realize that I never replied back to the questions on my own thread so finally turning back to this. I realize likely no one who cared months ago cares now, but hey. A month after we moved back in we headed off to Hawaii for our destination wedding following by mainland-side reception a month after that (hosted at the 'new' house), then the holidays so it was a crazy year for our family.

Anyway--the questions:

**Bicyclegirl** "Can you tell me about the roll out dish drying rack you got from Amazon? I haven't heard about it. If you have a picture, I'd appreciate being able to see it.'

See link below--this thing is brilliant, but you need an under mount sink to make this work.

**housebuilder14** "wow - i love the island with the waterfall and the sink. I have been debating between thassos pentalquartz and corian and I keep going back and forth between the two. anything else you can add re: choosing corian. also i love your sink. i thought i would do stainless steel and never even considered corian-- worried about staining plus you cant easily replace it. would love to hear more about that decision too. i heard that corian white yellows -- have you heard that? did that worry you.
    **Hydragea** "Wow, I love what you've done with the place! It's very interesting that you eventually chose Corian over Quartz. What went into that decision?
    Also, what are raceway outlets?'

On the Corian points--now that it's been installed for 5 months or so I can render a preliminary verdict. We absolutely love it! It always looks so clean, is not prone to damage, and cleans up very easily. I love that we can bleach it to disinfect periodically as well (don't do that to granite or quartz). The sink is a real treat--there are no dings or scratches like there were almost instantly after I installed a new stainless steel sink in my last place. And the stainless one *always* looked grungy unless I had just cleaned it. Not so with the Corian sink (and wouldn't be true of any other white enamel sink). And just a little elbow grease applied to the entire surface and it looks perfect again. Just remember--Corian does NOT stain. It is non-porous and stains cannot penetrate the surface. If it appears stained it just needs to be cleaned.

Re Corian yellowing, I don't think that's true. Colored Corian like colored Quartz is not necessarily color stable and will change under intense light (I've read of people having faded quartz counters in areas that are directly under a skylight for example). However, white Corian is entirely UV stable and is certified by the manufacturer for outdoor use in direct sunlight. In Europe and Australia they've even used it to clad the exterior of buildings, so yellowing doesn't happen with this stuff.

Re the decision between Quartz and a Solid Surface--it really came down to the fact that we had seen so many great contemporary kitchen photos that had used Corian we decided we wanted the same look too. And then as we researched it, I fell in love with the integrated sink option from the Vaso collection, ZERO visible seams, the low maintenance of it, and the texture and look of the samples we saw in showrooms. The DS even says, after living with it, we can't imagine having anything else in the future. The manufacturer claims that their customer satisfaction rate is something like 98%...we are among those pleased with our decision.

Re the raceway outlets--these are outlets mounted on the underside of the cabinets--like a power strip. So we've got tons of power for mixers and blenders and such but no ugly outlets marring my beautiful backsplash :)

Good luck to all in their projects!

Here is a link that might be useful: roll up dish rack

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Thanks for getting back to us Chris. Your year sounds like it was insane. Kind of like mine...but I didn't get married, nor did I get to go to Hawaii! Congratulations on your marriage.

I'm getting my countertops & sink next week & it will be undermount, so it's great that you sent this. I had forgotten about it but am thrilled you got back w/ the info.

Thank you again & enjoy your beautiful kitchen.

• Emily Mathis
    8 years ago

WOW! This is not a kitchen I ever would have chosen, and/but it's fabulous. So nice to be able to enjoy the road not taken vicariously... :) (and thanks for the roll-up link!)