Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reveal! Coastal Modern Kitchen

Posted by ChrisInSD (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 2:57

Hi all--

It's been a while since I've been on here since I've been busy trying to move back into our house and take care of endless additional details--and move on to landscaping. But I did want to share some photos and details for the GW crowd who has been so helpful to me. What a great resource all of you are collectively--special thanks to Trebuchet and Texasgal for some great insights and advice. Many questions were answered here and other forums--from how many amps I needed for my house to details on DW air gaps. To all--many many thanks! I served as my own kitchen designer here (though our architect conceived the layout) and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

We have a Southern California ranch house built in 1960 that was in largely original condition. The home sits on a beautiful canyon in a great location which is why we bought it. We love this era of architecture and knew we could turn the house into our dream home.

BEFORE -- Our kitchen last June, when we bought this house:

See boxed in kitchen & all the walls and halls we got rid of:

photo DSCN1481_zps78e0ad0d.jpg

photo DSCN1484_zps244763b4.jpg

AFTER -- July 25 we moved back in (one month late)!

photo DSCN0281_zpsdf4ab929.jpg

photo DSCN0288_zps0ef2f01f.jpg

photo DSCN0286_zps64550b5c.jpg

photo DSCN0283_zps558f4b80.jpg

photo DSCN0284_zps1065c6f9.jpg

photo DSCN0287_zps42296dd7.jpg

Floor: Salerno Dove 12 x 24" tile, Eleganza Tile
Cabinets: IKEA Sofielund. IKEA Applad doors for certain upper cabinets.
Hardware: Top Knobs Sanctuary II Collection, Polished Chrome. -- these had quality control issues. A lot of dings and scratched on these--I sent back two batches and had to inspect each one. But I love the look.
Appliances: IKEA Nutid line--Convection Oven, Microwave, Electric Cooktop, Refrigerator. IKEA Renlig integrated DW. IKEA Kovartig wall mounted extractor hood. All made by Whirlpool in USA except MW, which was made by Electrolux in Sweden.
Countertops: Corian Glacier White in matte finish. People who have read my posts can see I have become somewhat an evangelist for this material. Probably because when I started this process I *knew* was getting a whitish quartz (Silestone, Caesarstone or some such thing) because that's what I had been eyeing for years. Then I did all the research we all do on various matters and fell in love with these European kitchens with white Corian. And I do love it installed--the feel of it is really nice--not glassy. I would say however, that if I did it again, I would choose something white with a fleck or slight pattern in it. Good thing Corian is easy to clean because any smudge or greasy fingerprint shows on a bright white countertop that has no variation. The dirt on the granite in my last home always was hidden by the mottled beigey pattern and I hated that I could never tell if the countertops were dirty. Now, I am on the other end of that spectrum. But I do love Corian and think it's overlooked by most folks on GW (previously by myself as well!).
Sink: speaking of Corian--this is the Angolo sink, part of the Corian Vaso Collection. I was unaware it was possible to fall in love with a sink. But I absolutely love this one. This is coolest thing about my new counters and kitchen. And I got that roll out dish drying rack everyone on GW told me about from Amazon!
Faucet: Blanco Linus Pull Out w/Dual Spray, Polished Chrome. I can't remember how many I looked at but I am glad I picked this one. It's great!
Backsplash: Modwalls Brio Blend Cool Pool, glass tile. I had a lot of issues with this and had custom ordered tile that turned out looking like nothing I had expected. Luckily the team there is all about customer satisfaction and quickly solved my issue.
Windows: Milgard Aluminum w/Matteluxe glass. I reduced the height and increased the length of these windows from what was in the previous kitchen and switched them to frosted for some privacy while still providing light--they overlook the front door. The windows are exactly the height of the backsplash and I ran the Corian countertop directly into the window sill so it finishes at the window frame--I have no sill. It looks awesome. And using Corian, this can be seamless.
Under-cabinet Lights: No idea actually--some kind of LED.
Outlets: Notice no outlets on the backsplash, except one req'd per code by the cooktop. The rest are on a "raceway" underneath the upper cabinets. I love this feature! Outlets required by code at either end of island are Legrand Adorne.

I think that's it. We love our new home and well-functioning kitchen. I am so mentally exhausted from this project, however. I can't wait to really enjoy this house after we get some new furniture in here and the yard in shape and I can just relax and enjoy the fruit of my labor.

ChrisInSD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reveal! Coastal Modern Kitchen

Beautiful kitchen re-do. I have to take another look on a larger screen. It's so open and airy!

o

Beautiful! I love the clean look of the corian and how it goes all the way down the sides of the island. The windows are great - I wish we had done some windows between cabinets. Love the blue with these cabinets and the overall clean modern look.

o

What a difference! Congratulations. Enjoy it!

o

What a gorgeous space! Your design works so well with your home. I love the modern, simple lines combined with varying texture and interesting details. The sink and countertop are just amazing! I was excited to read that it is Corian. I also just installed Corian in my remodel and love it--as you said it feels so good to the touch. And it is so nice not to have to stress over stains, chips, cracks, etc. As they say, "this ain't your momma's Corian"! Thanks for sharing your lovely space!

o

From someone that lives in Europe, I just love what you have done. The use of white appl. is just what I did in my kitchen and after six years I still am glad I did.

o

Nice job! It's so serene. I love the blue on the island, great with your backsplash. Can you tell me about the roll out dish drying rack you got from Amazon? I haven't heard about it. If you have a picture, I'd appreciate being able to see it.

Thank you for sharing. Enjoy your wonderful new kitchen.

o

This is going to be a joy to live in.
Imagine when those windows are revealing your new landscaping as well as all that light.
I really love looking at your kitchen. It wouldn't fit in my home, but it fits perfectly here. The corian is perfect here, and the touch of bright blues, and . . . . .

So happy for you that your dream came true.

o

Beautiful - fresh and elegant with the waterfall sided island.

o

Perfectly designed for your home! Congrats on a job well done, I especially love those cabinets!

o

Looks great! You must be so pleased with the change. Removing all those walls made quite a difference!

o

OH! OH! OH! Perfect kitchen for your house!
That's the way I like to see corian; in all its simple glory.
Confession I've never been to IKEA. I'm just a farm girl with a bit of agoraphobia BUT your kitchen has changed all that! I just love it. Especially the white appliances.

o

Really, really nice! I'll keep this for future use when/if I should ever redo a condo kitchen. Definitely a European vibe.

Ice: How well have the Applad cabinets held up?

o

Nosoccermon. Im sorry I was not clear. i have white refridge. White oven In my kitchen. I dont have a Ikea kitchen. Sorry for beiging unclear.

o

Really sleek and beautiful. That sink is lovely too. I love Corian and integrated sinks!

o

Oops. appliances not Applad :)

o

wow - i love the island with the waterfall and the sink. I have been debating between thassos pentalquartz and corian and I keep going back and forth between the two. anything else you can add re: choosing corian. also i love your sink. i thought i would do stainless steel and never even considered corian-- worried about staining plus you cant easily replace it. would love to hear more about that decision too.
i heard that corian white yellows -- have you heard that? did that worry you.
thank you

o

So sleek and bright. Love the waterfall counters and integrated sink. Enjoy your new space in good health and cheer!

o

I love it. If anything it fits in with the house more than the original, which is tough to do.

The sink makes the countertop look like it's carved out of a thick block of material.

o

Chris- S*T*U*N*N*I*N*G !!!!

I love the contrast between uppers and lowers - and LOVE the color choice for the lowers.

We should have a round-robin dinner sometime and show off / enjoy our kitchens :)

I'll have pics this week - I HOPE - of our mostly finished one!!

o

Wow, I love what you've done with the place!
It's very interesting that you eventually chose Corian over Quartz. What went into that decision?
Also, what are raceway outlets?

Love how cohesive all the elements are. I particularly like the tile with cabinets, and the small bit of white cabinetry in the corner. It all looks nicely balanced to me, and also, totally right for the house. You should be a kitchen designer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here