Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

Is Miele Futura Dimension dishwasher very good?

janesylvia
9 years ago

I am planning to replace all my kitchen appliances the seller left. Is the G5675SCVI Miele Futura Dimension fully integrated dishwasher with cutlery tray very good compared to other models? If it is, is it better to order directly from Miele or buy one at local stores (Western Appliances, Pacific Sales in the bay area)?

Any input or sharing of experience is greatly appreciated.

This post was edited by janesylvia on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 11:08

Comments (22)

• ajc71
    9 years ago

I consider it one of the best dishwashers made, if it is within the budget it would by far be my first choice

Where I live you can not buy direct, have to go through a reseller...

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

I've had 2 Mieles now. Currently my Incognito is 10 y.o. and never had a service call. Wouldn't buy any other dw.

Noticed the model you posted about has the 3D cutlery tray and the door opens automatically for drying which helps with the plastics.

The best choice is the best dw for you. It depends on what you want/need and what's important. I had a newer Miele in my other house which had the Express cycle. That took about 45 minutes and I liked it a lot. So if, f.ex. I had to replace the DW that would be on my list. I also need & use the china/crystal cycle (some don't).

What features led you you choose that model in particular? Are there others you want?

I know it can be a bit hard to "know" if you haven't used a Miele and the descriptions don't make it especially easy to sort out differences.

Doesn't matter where you buy. After you register the product with Miele for warranty you only deal with them. I would check to see if they can provide one of their service people in your area should service be needed.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I just got mine a little over a week ago. It's like a different appliance all together. We were going to keep our 2-ish year old Samsung which was one of their best. This is a totally different experience.

There are a couple factors to note for us:
    -Miele conditions hard water. We have hard water and no softener, so the salt that Miele takes was a factor in why we stepped up to this model (I don't recall if the one just below did or not).
    -I was using the little plastic Cascade packets, which I think might have had rinse aid in them AND filling the rinse aid thing. Maybe I was over rinse-aiding before. Miele install guys said something to that effect.

But these dishes come out like new. Every. Time. They feel different. It's really odd. It would be hard to convince someone, I'm sure. But it IS (keeping in mind the factors listed above) that much better. For us.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, which are very helpful.

Originally, I was looking for features: clean and dry (some dishes came out wet in my kenmore elite in the house I lived before), quiet, 3rd cutlery tray, and water softener.

I noticed the Dimension model I was interested does not come with Express Wash feature. In order to have it, it seems I have to go one level up, i.e., their top model, Diamond. Express cycle takes about 45 minutes. How long does it take for normal cycle? I am now considering whether it's worthwhile to buy Diamond model.

Really appreciate all your help.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Normal is 2:42 for me. I don't know if that's standard, but that's what it read when I started it yesterday.

The Dimension has a 'turbo' option which reduces running time on any program on which it's available. I didn't see anywhere in the manual where it said which cycles it's available on and which it's not, and I haven't tried it.

ETA: There's a lot of DW discussion, including Miele in general and Dimension specifically, on the appliance forum. You might find info on the turbo option there.

This post was edited by cal_quail on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 13:18

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Calquail, thank you very much for your information. It really helps.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Turbo is said to intensify and shorten cycles. What I found was maybe 10 minutes. For me that was optional.

My normal cycle is long but I never clocked it. We put the DW on just before we go to bed. We use normal most. Pots & Pans and Sani are also excellent cycles. Sani is the longest. I use that when someone in the house has been sick or the dishes really need that extra hot wash. We had guests for lunch this weekend. So I had a load with wine glasses and the vintage sterling plate silver. I use china/crystal for that.

Express is a cycle that takes less than an hour. It was very handy to have as it let me do a fast load in the middle of the day when necessary. For anyone who entertains, I think it's a plus. But it's not a substitute -- it's a high quality option.

cal quail is totally right.This Dw is a bit of a different animal.

Any of these models will do a very good job and with so many variations there is one that will suit for sure.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else weighs in on the Express cycle. The trick is to get the model with everything you want LOL.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 9:16

• texaspenny
    9 years ago

Before you buy a Miele I urge you to go see one in person and bring dinner plates, bowls, and the cups you usually use. My husband was set on Miele because it's a great brand and he wanted the cutlery tray. However, our Crate & Barrel dishes have an extra wide lip and they would NOT fit in the bottom tray when the middle tray was lowered enough for his extra-tall drinking glasses to fit. The inside of a Miele (and Bosch) seemed smaller than an American brand. We ended up going with a Kitchen Aid that also had the cutlery tray. I am in no way trying to dissuade you from Miele...just make sure your stuff fits!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I wish I had gone with the Miele so it would not stick out from my counter and it would have an easier to clean stainless steel than my Kitchen Aid. My dishes are not bulky but TexasPenny, I do like my Kitchen Aid but wish it was a little less long and had a stainless steel that did not take magnets so would be easier to keep clean. I love the dry heat feature and the top silverware rack.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I've been enjoying my Miele Futura Dimension Plus for just over a year. (We just had our one-year anniversary toe weeks ago.) i did the happy-happy-joy-joy dance when my old Kenmore died at age 4 as I'd been planning a Miele for that happy day.

I took some of our 20- y.o. Denby along with some pots and pans and a sheet pan with us to the store when we bought the DW. I highly recommend doing that with any DW purchase. See what fits.

I wasn't keen on having to arrange the silverware at first in the 3D cutlery rack, but I love it now. It's so easy to empty and put away silverware and all my utensils. I don't feel like as much fits in the bottom two racks as my old Kenmore, but there is a lot of flexibility on how to load them. I love being able to load plates side by side along the back of the bottom rack and fit in bigger pots and pans in front, or loading plates along the entire front to leave space in the back. The learning curve for loading the unit was a bit steep for me. I heavily load it, and almost everything comes out clean.

Thanks to advice from Rococogurl (who is a fabulous forum resource on Miele models), I had mine hooked up to cold water to better utilize the china/crystal setting. Most of the time I run it on the Normal cycle, which takes anywhere from 2:43-2:57. I have only run the turbo once or twice. I checked when I powered on my DW earlier to see that it said 2:04 for Normal with turbo.

I often wish I had a model with the Express cycle. I didn't look long enough at the floor model units on special sale when we purchased as I was so excited at the price of this one. Until it was delivered, I assumed it had Express since it was a higher-end model. The extra bit of time savings would come in very handy when we entertain and have the DW running almost continuously. And even on a normal day I run it twice a day on average so it would help daily also.

Really, I would have preferred two DWs so I wasn't sitting up like I am right now waiting for the drying cycle to finish so I can load and run the DW again. Busy days with back to school events and harvest preserving. But that's another thread! :)

• brightm
    9 years ago

I only cranked up one side of the middle rack on my Dimension to fit my dinner plates. It left the middle section plenty tall for my use.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

In the past, Miele actually sold different basket configurations in different models. It looks like they still do that to a more limited extent (it looks like there are two basket configs now). I don't know if the basket are interchangeable. Miele currently has inserts that can be added to the basket for different configurations. I have included the link to the Miele store for the different options available. I like the large diameter plate option that slants for larger plates. In my current machine which is over 10years old, I have the vase insert and the multi-function basket.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Dishwasher Basket Inserts

• homepro01
    9 years ago

In the past, Miele actually sold different basket configurations in different models. It looks like they still do that to a more limited extent (it looks like there are two basket configs now). I don't know if the basket are interchangeable. Miele currently has inserts that can be added to the basket for different configurations. I have included the link to the Miele store for the different options available. I like the large diameter plate option that slants for larger plates. In my current machine which is over 10years old, I have the vase insert and the multi-function basket.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Dishwasher Basket Inserts

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Glad to hear you love your d/w breezy. I remember when you were shopping for it and had wondered how it was going.

I had an Optima with Express 4 years ago. At that time, all the high end models had the cycle. As you explained, I often do 2 loads a day and that was my go-to daytime cycle for the early load.

I've been really, really surprised to hear people say they don't often use it as I used it so often. And also for lighter/smaller loads.

Miele switches features & names around year to year and their website is nearly impenetrable. So anyone shopping is always wise to double check -- GW is so great for that!

Case in point, a friend of mine who is redoing a house entertains a great deal. She got 2 Miele dws for her reno. We were talking and I mentioned how much I would love one with the lights if I was getting a new one. She said to me: "what lights?" Had no idea. Her decorator (who never cooks but designs kitchens, ahem) didn't see to know about that.

I still feel Express is very worthwhile. Loved it and while my 10 year old Incognito still does an amazing job, I do miss Express.

~ ~ ~ waving hi at homepro

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Hi Rococogurl!!! Have not been on the forums for a while. Busy with work. Glad to see so many of the old timers still here!!!

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I'm surprised also that people with the Express cycle don't use it often. Wow. I'd be all over that. My issues are first-world ones, to be sure. Just having one DW (and a very high end one at that) is a blessing to me. It's amazing that you can put dirty dishes into a box and they come out clean. Really. It's amazing.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I will weigh in about the Diamond. It certainly was a splurge, but if it's in the budget, I would go for it. The soft close door and the interior LED light are great. And of course it has a jillion cycles, most of which i dont I don't use but it's nice to have the option.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I have the futura dimension plus. Yes to all the things mentioned in the above posts. I think my turbo on the normal cycle reduces time by 30-45 mins. The one thing I will disagree is how clean they get dishes. We are empty nesters so as the day goes on, we just usually put the dirty dishes in and run the cycle before bed. Dried coffee rings inside the cup don't come off in normal or turbo normal cycle. I'm noticing mainly dried on items have to go thru again. It does have a rinse and hold, maybe I'm supposed to run that 15 min cycle each time I put a dirty dish in the dw. (*shrug*).

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for all the responses, very helpful.

In order to have the express cycle, I'm inclined to buy the diamond model. Which one did you pick and feel looks better, the one with hidden controls and handle bar or the one with front control panel?

Thank you very much.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I went with the model that you must put a cab face on it, so I guess that would mean the hidden controls. I went with a miele for several reasons, the number one reason to consider them for our needs, is they sit flat against the cabinet run. I have small aisles as it is, so I didn't want anything to obstruct the small run. Get what works for you and your family.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

My current machine has a cabinet panel and hidden controls. It looks like any other cabinet, as someone mentioned, so it will never look dated until the whole kitchen does. It isn't noticeable or a design factor at all -- it's purely functional.

The one I installed in our apartment had a stainess front and handle but also hidden controls. I think the front panel and latch would be prone to fingermarks and drips. But others may not agree.

It is strictly a matter of preference in terms of how it will look, and of course budget and function. However, these dishwashers tend to last so long it's a commitment as well. I think it's smart to take a deliberate and persistent approach.

I'm with bluedevil on this one. Budget willing, and with the idea of what you buy you will keep for a long time, the only truly new feature offered in any dishwasher available right now is the interior lighting. Previously, it was the silverware tray.

I've deliberately tried all the cycles on my machines. However, there are some I use more than others so the number is not important. But the high-use cycles are.

Everyone is different, of course. And it's hard to tell anyone in advance what they will turn out to use or not -- as we've seen with Express. .

For me, if I had SaniWash, Normal, China/Crystal and Express, I'd be fine. Rinse and Hold can be very useful if you are not washing right away and I found it keeps the dishes from smelling bad. My current machine has a "top only" setting which has been done away with. I've maybe used it 5 times in 10 years.

But the Diamond is a top-of-the-line machine so they seem to have put in all the wash options they could think of. My washer has the same thing -- it's Miele think -- the appliance version of the "all you can eat" buffet with New Year's Eve pricing 24/7.

Most of us have mixed loads 90% of the time, I'd venture. So unless you're running an Italian restaurant how often will anyone have a full load for the "starch & cheese" setting? I don't understand "tall items" as a setting. But I don't understand "dress shirts" as a setting on my washer. Expect it would be handy if I was running a laundry LOL

You can laugh but the drying is more or less predicated on heat from full loads so having one is a good idea if it can be managed.

Here's a photo of the Diamond with the lights, courtesy of one of the guys on the Appliance forum. (At my house,a load like this is semi-full). I would love this feature as I find I need more light as time goes on. But other models work well without.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 17:40

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Oohhhhh....aaahhhhh... RC. Those lights! I'm a light-a-holic. I need lots of light. If (when) my Miele dies, I want one with lights.

My Futura Dimension Plus has the sumptuously squared handle with the hidden controls on top. I like the clean front. I'd have gone for the hidden cabinet front if I could have as my kitchen is open to most of the main area of the house.

To address a comment you made earlier, RC, I am happy with my Miele. It's quiet, the dishes are clean, the stainless almost always looks clean, and the unit is pretty. I do, however, miss the heated dry. I set the drying plus function to run as long as possible, and I still end up having to dry things and they come out of the DW. On the rare occasion when a clean load sits for 24 hours or more, everything is dry. That rarely happens though. Normally it's unloaded within 10 hours with water sitting on any plastic container, my spatulas, coffee mugs, etc. That's the only thing that makes me miss my cr@ppy Kenmore.