Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_r_ct

Is GE the only one offering slate appliances

lynn_r_ct
10 years ago

Saw them on their website and they are under consideration for my kitchen. I like the warmer tone and they say, it is not prone to fingerprints. That would be a big plus. I was forced to buy a DW when mine died and I bought stainless and when it is shiny, shiny it is pretty, but it is not always pretty, pretty.

Would love to know if there are other companies jumping on the bandwagon. So far my search is not going well.

Comments (37)

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Yes, and they completely crapped out the first time they offered them as a "Home Depot Exclusive" for the HD Adora line. In fact, I know someone who was left hanging because they were buying their appliances a piece at a time, and the color was discontinued. Now that the Slate has come out, they were excited to be able to finally get the DW that matches the rest of their stuff. Well, it doesn't match. It's slightly different than the HD grey color that was offered. That will happen here too. I wouldn't put any stock in them having any longevity or popularity at all.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Kenmore tried a similar color a few years ago, IIRC it was "graphite". I loved it but wasn't ready to replace anything then. If you decide to try something new like that I think you should be prepared to have mixed finishes in your kitchen at some point. I don't see anything wrong with that, but I'm not a designer.

• uther
    10 years ago

I know what you mean, lynn. They are very pretty. And if you are one of those people, like me, we is not 100% sold on the stainless look, the slate is tempting. But, I agree with holly, I think they may only survive for a short time and then you are stuck with a discontinued color.

I'm considering white. I think it will always be available! ;)

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I haven't seen them in person, but looking at images online I think they're very nice looking. I can see why you're drawn to them.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Part of the problem is that people want matching appliances and very few people buy all new appliances unless they are building or remodeling. So, people want to buy something that goes with what they already have, or have some expectation of at least ending up with matching appliances at some point.

So the typical appliance buyer is going to be in the cycle of white, black or stainless.

The other thing that I think is part of the equation is that the "experimental" colors are always at a lower price point with a lower number of features. The new GE Artisan line is a low priced line to appeal to an under-35 demographic. (and it's still white or black). Whirlpool had dark red and navy fridges in their offerings a few years back and they were small and no frills.

I myself might be interested in something other than the SS W or B offerings, but I also want features that aren't usally offered with the unusual colors, when they are rarely offered. (Viking and Bertazzoni et al excepted).

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

We bought something similar for our new W/D about 18 mos ago. These are LG and were on clearance at Lowes or HD I think because of the color...we got a good deal on the pair and the color worked in our laundry room. I have SS appliances in the adjacent kitchen. Whoa...sorry for the huge pic!

• lynn_r_ct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My biggest fear is that the company will ditch the color as has been mentioned. I am hoping that the popularity of the slate, assuming it is so, will lend itself to other manufacturers diving into the pond. I remember a few years back when one co., don't remember who, introduced a soft copper (not the 60's color) looking suite of appliances and it was gone within a year. Woe is me. I don't want black or white for the look I hope to achieve, but damn I really don't like stainless. Please don't stone me!

• melissaki5
    10 years ago

I Looove that color and was really hoping it would become popular before I needed to buy my appliances. (It did not) but I am still hoping that maybe it will in the future. Eventually the stainless will have to go out of style I just don't know when and what will replace it.

• mtpam2
    10 years ago

Lynn - I understand what you mean about the stainless color. I am just not a lover. Not that I hate it, but would prefer something else. I also have been looking at the GE Slate colors. However, like mentioned, I only need the DW at this time. I hope to replace the Range and Fridge in a few years, but will they still be around then? Also, haven't always heard the best reviews on GE DWs. I currently have white, but putting in darker cabinets, so not sure I want the contrast. What to do remains to be seen.

• jamescarmensub
    9 years ago

Slate has been around for about five or six years now. It is a shame that the appliances mentioned above did not match. I like it and am going to buy a ST, and MW in the slate, but I do not like the fridge in the Slate. I think a couple of other brands bridges are designed a bit better. So I will probably pass on the Slate at this time, and opt for a black color.

• diymom79
    9 years ago

I went to lowes to see the see slate in person, my hubby wants them. The sales person said they are very popular right now and do not cause fingerprints. However, he said he would caution me that the color may not last like black, white, and ss. So we are choosing to go with ss, but if that doesn't worry you the color is pretty.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Slate is a flash in the pan. While not quite avacado green, in many ways, it's worse. Only GE produces it, and who knows how long they will support it given their takeover by Frigidaire/Electrolux?

• karenjh
    8 years ago

I love the slate appliances and finally something hubby also likes. I'm replacing all my appliances in the new year, so for the first time, they will all match, at least for a while.

• stjerome15
    8 years ago

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on GE Slate DW, stove & frig. Anyone out there have experience with the quality of these particular GE appliances? Thanks.

• Rosanne
    8 years ago

I was at Lowe's today looking for a washer and saw a GE fridge in the slate. I loved it. BUT that was the only appliance they had in the color. It looked grey-dark brown and I think it would look lovely with light-medium stained wood cabinets. I hope they are still selling them when I get my next house in a couple of years.

• Rosanne
    8 years ago

So many people want SS. While walking around Lowe's and looking at all the DW and Refrigerators - the fingerprints looked awful! Turned me off once and for all to the idea of buying all SS appliances.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Southeastern, you could consider paneling at least the dishwasher.

• KATHY
    8 years ago

Samsung is using a black stainless steel. I saw the fridge at one of the big box stores and really liked the color but not sure I would go with Samsung.

• Laura Wilhelm-Bruzek
    8 years ago

I just purchased the entire GE Adora Slate set for my kitchen. So far the burner grates on the range rusted after ONE washing, the dishwasher is "kind of" cleaning dishes, but leaving residue behind.. Haven't installed the microwave yet because we actually called Home Depot and told them to take their crap back. They gave us new grates..Better, but not heavy duty compared to my old ceramic ones. I can send everything back still but I'm afraid everything is made like crap these days.. Oh and the dishwasher was missing pieces of the plastic insulation on the back...GE claims it won't effect the machine but is willing to replace. Anyone else have issues???

• Deleted Account
    8 years ago

I decided to stay with the Slate, glad I did after seeing a friend who had went stainless. Now she is attempting to make the switch to Slate after seeing these. My dishwasher is a dream, I think it is the best I have ever owned. The only problem I have had was the dishwasher being a little lighter. They have reordered all my appliances at the same time so there will be less odds of any slight variance. GE has been awesome, and so has Lowe's. So far I am very pleased with the way they are attempting to make sure I am totally happy.

• Deleted Account
    8 years ago

Palimpsest, My Dishwasher has more options that I would ever use lol. Steam clean, Sanitize, Boost, Top level only wash, lower level only wash, 3 washing/fountain's water. 5 or 6 levels of washing times, each with different options. The stove is a True European Convection oven, option of Steam clean and Self Clean. All kinds of options as well, with 5 tops to cook on or hold warm. The Fridge was a special order due to the small size, but filtered water, large amount of Ice placement in the door. For me it is all I need. These appliances were in the price range of 900-1600, with even deeper discounts during blow out November at Lowe's.

• beckybritches
    8 years ago
    @stjerome15, on November 30, 2015 you asked about GE Slate Appliances. We just remodeled or kitchen last summer and bought all new GE slate appliance. We live the color! However, if Whirlpool ever offers slate, we will be exchanging them out. We hate the GE appliances, dishwasher does not get dishes clean. Out of every load I find 1 or 2 dishes not clean (I have always been one to say if you have to rinse dishes before putting in dishwasher them I'm not having one) always water standing on glasses & cups. We've always used Whirlpool but seen this new slate color and thought we couldn't go wrong getting GE...were we ever wrong! On the water dispenser on the fridge, it drips after dispensing water or ice; clock no longer displays on our microwave; I could go on & on. So as we patiently await for Whirlpool to make slate we're stuck with these. Good luck and I hope my review isn't too late!
  • Sandi Quinn
    8 years ago

Don't blame Home Depot for the crappy make of GE. Good grief! I LOVE the slate appliances, but waiting until someone comes out with a wall oven/cooktop. They are not going out of style. It's a beautiful alternative to SS, in which I hate. I like the brushed metal of the GE. I did see a slate refrigerator in a customers home a while back, but can't remember the make. It was shinier than the GE, and my concern with that was finger prints. What was nice was it was a double door top, and had two drawers for the bottom freezer. I've been searching for slate, but am only coming up with GE. I'll keep looking. Everyone thought SS wouldn't stay in style either, but 20 years later..they keep trying to perfect the fingerprint issue.

• Sandi Quinn
    8 years ago

WOW, look what I just found! Black stainless by KitchenAid. I like it, but it's darker than I'd like. They offer a lot of choices in this design.

What do you think?

• Laura Wilhelm-Bruzek
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sandi Quinn I didn't see anyone blame Home Depot...Maybe take a reading lesson?

• Jim1405
    8 years ago

I was wondering around the local appliance store today and the one thing that really caught my eye was the GE Slate frig. they had on display. In fact, I doubled back around to take a second look at it and find out what they called that color. I think it would work great in the kitchen I'm planning. I've never been head over heels in love with SS this was so much warmer and inviting than the cold SS. Also, I don't think fingerprints would be and issue. I wish other brands would come with this color.

They also had the KA Black Stainless frig. that also caught my eye. Although I don't think it would work in my plans it was interesting and stands out. Interestingly, they carried the Black Stainless theme to the interior which was quite striking compared to bright white every other frig. has but I'm not sure I would enjoy it on a daily basis.

• karenjh
    8 years ago

I bought the slate fridge and dishwasher from GE and LOVE them. I only wish they would come out with a smaller microwave, instead of the huge one that they offer in slate - to match.. The slate is gorgeous!

• esabatier
    8 years ago

Here it is early 2016 and people are still liking and considering Slate over SS. It is by far my favourite and it is now also offered by Frigidaire. Seems the only reason people are not choosing it is because of fear. So the less who choose it the less likely it will stick around. Vicious circle. I think it has all the same design properties that SS has (works with all styles of kitchens/cabinets) without the annoying smudges. IF ONLY the appliance manufacturers would just commit to one standardized slate colour then I don't think there'd be an issue with Slate having staying power over the long term.

Now, if new home builders would get "on board" en masse and display primarily slate appliances in their showcase homes they really would take off and have staying power. Maybe the fact that Rachel Ray has them in her TV kitchen will boost sales and longevity?

Hubs and I intend on going for slate appliances next time and ensuring we maintain the warranties as long as possible in case, God-forbid, they are discontinued in the future. =D Worst case scenario, things like DW's can easily be covered by panels matching your kitchen cabinets if renovating or building from scratch.

• silly26reno
    7 years ago

I would like to comment on GE slate appliances we purchased the entire set for our kitchen loved the slate but it does not clean up well. Splash something on it like bacon grease and it leaves spots that won't come off. I called GE and they said well you splashed bacon grease on it and I said who doesn't? They were no help at all this finish may look beautiful and it is but the look only lasts if you don't cook on the stove! I will never buy GE or slate again

• karenjh
    7 years ago

Yikes. I have just bought all slate appliances except the stove, as my stainless one isn't very old. Glad you wrote this, so I won't be rushing to change it. Just the same, I love my fridge, dishwasher and microwave!

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

I really like the color but don't care for GE appliances. Also don't care for the fact I'd never be able to buy a replacement appliance in the same color. I miss the old days of colored appliances.

• 5moco5
    7 years ago

I purchased the GE slate refrigerator and dishwasher from HHGregg and the dishwasher is several shades lighter than the fridge. HHGregg has stalled on helping me and now I am over the 30 day return period and think I am stuck with appliances that do not match. The left is the fridge side, the middle is the fridge and the right is the dishwasher front panel that was sent to me to fix the issue, but it is the same too light color that is already on the dishwasher. Be very careful where you buy your appliances from and just return them right away, don't let them stall you and act like they are going to help you, to just ignore you for months.

• Janice Whitworth
    7 years ago

I really like the new LG Black Slate but I'm leary of their only dishwasher with the option of black slate. I've had a GE dishwasher before and loved it. Anyone think the slate GE DW would look okay with the rest of the appliances being the LG black slate?

• Sandi Quinn
    7 years ago

Laura Wilhelm-Bruzek You are the one that said, and I quote "Haven't installed the microwave yet because we actually called Home Depot and told them to take their crap back." My guess is that you know you did blame them, or you wouldn't have come back at me about my reading, which is fine, thanks.

• judyl2015
    6 years ago

We purchased GE slate appliances in 2013. Very unhappy with GE service and appliances. Stainless steel interior of dishwasher had rust within weeks. GE said not covered by warranty. Racks have rusted also. Was hoping some other manufacturer would offer the slate color so we could replace dishwasher without purchasing another product.

• Deb McConnon
    3 years ago

Purchased the ge slate fridge, micro, dw four years ago. I, too, loved the color. Now that the dw is too expensive to repair, the stove grates are damaged in addition to the fridge having requiring multiple wipe downs for finger prints, i regret the decision to purchase. Now looking at overall value of versus looks.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz