Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gamaeagle

rta cabinets

gamaeagle
9 years ago

About six months ago I was doing research for rta cabinets. I found a site that let me select the width, the hinge side, the depth, exposed side, etc. I can't find that company now. Anyone know who it is?

Comments (11)

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Do you mean Barker Cabinets? They are fully custom RTA.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I also immediately thought of Barker as well. Totally customizable. We purchased kitchen cabinets from them in January and are so completely in love with them...highly recommend!! And very easy to assemble.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

Another possibility is Scherr's Custom Cabinets, which also does fully custom RTA cabinets. They do frameless cabinets only. In addition to allowing the choice for the width, the hinge side, the depth, the exposed side, they also allow you to specify the wood species, the finish, the door style, the inside finish, and the drawer construction.

• JenBL
    9 years ago

For those that have ordered from Barkers and Scherr's - did you order the finished or unfinished cabinets?

I love the products that both of those companies offer, though the wood finishes available are a bit lighter than I would like. I'm not really interested in doing the finishing myself. I think my husband would kill me if I attempted to do the whole kitchen myself!

Thanks,
    Jen

• lam702
    9 years ago

Conestoga does RTA cabinets as well, and they offer a large selection of wood types and finishes. Check out the Cabinet Joint

• dcward89
    9 years ago

We ordered from Barker in their natural cherry finish so it may be too light for you. They have a darker stained finish as well in any of their wood options as well.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

We also ordered our cabinets in the clear coat finished natural cherry from Barkers. Ours just shipped today, so I hope to be able to give more meaningful feedback soon(ish). Before we ordered the cabinets, we ordered several wood samples, a sample cabinet in the stain (which was what we thought we wanted) and a sample door in the clear coat. I'm glad I did! It changed my order.

I can't remember why I never got samples from Scherrs, but I think they might have been higher for our order. But, honestly, it may have been that I find their website overwhelming, and I was ready to have a decision made.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Joygreenwald, I can't wait to see pictures of your cabinets! Please do share when they arrive. I love how these rta brands discussed are fully custom!

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

I ordered finished cabinets from Scherr's. They sent me a couple of stained samples to help decide on the color, however neither of them were quite right, so I worked with them to develop a custom stain color.

Joygreenwald, I think the usual approach of looking at their website and picking from the options they offer is the wrong approach to use with Scherr's. Think of it as an idea book, to help you figure out exactly what you want, and then ask them to make that.

In my kitchen one row of my base cabinets was 28" deep, with 15" deep uppers above it. On the other side I had them make a 34" wide cabinet and 17" wide one to fill a 51" space. And at the end there is a custom cabinet with two narrow doors and a wine rack in the space between them.

• Amber
    8 years ago

We're ordering from Jim at The Cabinet Joint ( Conestoga Cabinets). Awesome experience so far.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

We just completed our kitchen with Scherr's Cabinets. I'm waiting for the electricians to complete a task before I do the big reveal.

We chose a painted finish. Coincidentally SW Dover White. It's a stock color for Barkers. All of my tradesmen keeping running their hands over the doors. My long time painter thinks the finish is outstanding.

Bob_civlle is correct about Scherr's website. Have your floorplan ready. Pick the door and drawer styles you like. Fill out the order form. Scherr's will walk you through the rest. They are the nicest people.

We wanted some custom elements that Barker's couldn't provide. I wanted a flush toe kick for a furniture effect. We thoroughly enjoyed the process and putting the cabinets together. Can you believe it? It was fun. We hired someone else to install them.

Everything is well organized. It takes a few minutes to sort things out. After that, you are off and running. It was a good experience.