Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rta cabinets

Posted by gamaeagle (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 2:20

About six months ago I was doing research for rta cabinets. I found a site that let me select the width, the hinge side, the depth, exposed side, etc. I can't find that company now. Anyone know who it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rta cabinets

Do you mean Barker Cabinets? They are fully custom RTA.

o

I also immediately thought of Barker as well. Totally customizable. We purchased kitchen cabinets from them in January and are so completely in love with them...highly recommend!! And very easy to assemble.

o

Another possibility is Scherr's Custom Cabinets, which also does fully custom RTA cabinets. They do frameless cabinets only. In addition to allowing the choice for the width, the hinge side, the depth, the exposed side, they also allow you to specify the wood species, the finish, the door style, the inside finish, and the drawer construction.

o

For those that have ordered from Barkers and Scherr's - did you order the finished or unfinished cabinets?

I love the products that both of those companies offer, though the wood finishes available are a bit lighter than I would like. I'm not really interested in doing the finishing myself. I think my husband would kill me if I attempted to do the whole kitchen myself!

Thanks,
Jen

o

Conestoga does RTA cabinets as well, and they offer a large selection of wood types and finishes. Check out the Cabinet Joint

o

We ordered from Barker in their natural cherry finish so it may be too light for you. They have a darker stained finish as well in any of their wood options as well.

o

We also ordered our cabinets in the clear coat finished natural cherry from Barkers. Ours just shipped today, so I hope to be able to give more meaningful feedback soon(ish). Before we ordered the cabinets, we ordered several wood samples, a sample cabinet in the stain (which was what we thought we wanted) and a sample door in the clear coat. I'm glad I did! It changed my order.

I can't remember why I never got samples from Scherrs, but I think they might have been higher for our order. But, honestly, it may have been that I find their website overwhelming, and I was ready to have a decision made.

o

Joygreenwald, I can't wait to see pictures of your cabinets! Please do share when they arrive. I love how these rta brands discussed are fully custom!

o

I ordered finished cabinets from Scherr's. They sent me a couple of stained samples to help decide on the color, however neither of them were quite right, so I worked with them to develop a custom stain color.

Joygreenwald, I think the usual approach of looking at their website and picking from the options they offer is the wrong approach to use with Scherr's. Think of it as an idea book, to help you figure out exactly what you want, and then ask them to make that.

In my kitchen one row of my base cabinets was 28" deep, with 15" deep uppers above it. On the other side I had them make a 34" wide cabinet and 17" wide one to fill a 51" space. And at the end there is a custom cabinet with two narrow doors and a wine rack in the space between them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here