Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat123_gw

Wolf gas cooktop won't simmer

kat123
15 years ago

We have a year old Wolf gas cooktop and I do not like it at all. The reason: can't get the darn designated "true simmer" burner to a TRUE simmer. This was the final selling point for us. We use quality pans and still things get much too hot on simmer. We wish we'd gone with electric. Gas just isn't as great as we've been told, IMHO. Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

Our sales lady even came out with the rep and they said that the cooktop is fine. I'll tell you one thing, I could NEVER leave a pot of spaghetti on simmer and leave the house. A fire would result, I'm afraid.

By the way, Wolf doe not make a difuser. They seem to think the simmer burner does not need one. HA-HA!

Comments (13)

• weissman
    15 years ago

Just curious - do you have the sealed burners or the open burners with the inner simmer ring? I've been on these forums for quite a while and I've never seen any complaints about the simmer on Wolf cooktops. I have a DCS range which has dual stack burners similar to the Wolf sealed burners and the simmer is incredible - I've accidently left things on for hours without any problems. You say you had your KD and a Wolf rep out - did you actually have a service call with a technician to check it out?

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I've got a rangetop, which may be a bit higher powered burner, and I have no problem simmering on it. I rarely use the smaller ring simmer (do you have the two stage burners on the cooktop?). I'm surprised you are having a problem, because I find the control of the flame and power to be great on mine. Might be worth having a tech check it out. Also, test it with a thermometer adn see what temp a pan of water "simmers" at when turned all the way down. Food should be no higher than that.

• dogridge
    15 years ago

Are you using propane? If so, you might need to convert the stove so that it can use the propane correctly. We had a Wolf and had to have it converted.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

Don't know what to tell you. I have a three year old 36" Wolf gas cooktop - not a rangetop - simmers beautifully.

• kat123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I have a call in to the store manager. Our saleslady is no longer with the company! I will let you know the outcome.

• lamir
    15 years ago

I just had the Wolf 36" 6 burner rangetop installed Friday. I made my first pot of "gravy" or tomato sauce if that's what you call it. Anyway after bringing to a boil, it simmered beautifully for 4 hours! Delicious, and the range is wonderful!

• kat123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your help. (We do not use propane.) I'm convinced there's something wrong with our cooktop although we were told it is simmering correctly while on the correct burner designed for a true low simmer. Frankly, I think someone just does not want to correct the problem. I'll let you know what the store manager says. It ought to be interesting!

• antss
    15 years ago

kat - is it burning things instead of simmering them?

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

It certainly sounds to me like you've got a problem, and they need to fix it. I've got the Wolf 36" sealed rangetop and have no problems simmering. In fact, I was told at the Wolf cooking showroom, that their chef accidentally left chocolate on the lowest simmer setting overnight. When he discovered his mistake the next morning, no fire, no ruined pan and the chocolate didn't even seize up. Maybe that's a tall tale, but that's the story that they told me.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

What model do you have and what do you mean by the correct burner? All of mine have simmer capability.

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

On my 36" rangetop (SRT366), at least I think that's the model number from memory. Anyhow it's the sealed 6 burner rangetop model. Like you, all of my burners will simmer too, but on mine, the back left has a smaller eye and is a designated simmer burner with the lowest simmer setting.

• Rkatz
    last year

Had this issue with my Wolf 5 -burner cooktop. Certain burners did not put out any gas on simmer mode, worked fine with the full burner mode. No help online, I took things apart to take a look and compare to burners that did simmer fine. Turns out there is a tiny nozzle in a recessed ring used for the simmer mode, under 1mm wide. Gets clogged easily with things spilling over. I used a sturdy twist tie wire after removing the plastic to poke through and scrape clean the clogged nozzles.

Hope that helps others with the same issue!