Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning/restoring Pegagus black composite sink

Posted by tomatofreak (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 2:04

I bought the sink today, mostly because of the terrific faucet that came with it. It's in overall good shape, no obvious cracks or chips, but it sure does show wear. If you have - or had - one, how did you clean and/or 'renew' it? It's going in the reno house which is being sold 'as is' but I want it to look its best since I have already poured sweat and blood into that money pit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning/restoring Pegagus black composite sink

Maybe oiling it will help? I had a black composite sink in my last house, it was 10-ish years old and was, how do I describe it? "rough" and faded-looking in places, even after I scrubbed and dried it. It would look sort of dried out. I always thought I should try rubbing a wee bit of oil into it but would always forget by the time the dishes were done. :o)

o

tomatofreak:

I make my living restoring surfaces so I have every financial incentive to keep abreast of the latest in restoration. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find or experiment with a way to restore composite sinks.

I was trying to remove scratches. I could get the scratch out, but I couldn't get the refinished area to match factory. Perhaps if the whole sink were done, this wouldn't be an issue. There's a post about it here somewhere.

o

trebruchet, was it this thread? It's long and old, but seems to have a wealth of suggestions. I'm not sure what to try first, but my biggest concern is 'fixing' the area on the sink divider where the finish looks as if it's worn through.

I have wanted this sink for my own house ever since reading about it here. Now I'm not so sure. I have always loved Kohler's cast iron sinks and I may just stick with one of those. Still, this black sink is sooooo pretty..... (If it's clean and shiny!)

Here is a link that might be useful: keeping 'granite's sinks clean

o

tomatofreak:

Here is is:

Here is a link that might be useful: Experiment

o

IMHO, there is a difference between Blanco's Silgranit II sinks and every other brand. Blanco is the only way to go.

This sounds like a sink you bought used, yes? A used, off-brand, 10 year old sink shouldn't be the benchmark you use to judge the possible purchase of a new Blanco Silgranit sink.

o

trebruchet, thanks. I have some places to start now and a few days before it needs to go in.

breezygirl, it is a Pegasus - which I haven't considered an "off brand" - used sink, not 10 years old and generally sound. I could still be persuaded to get a Blanco since there is no sink in the universe (that I've seen) that does not have drawbacks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here