Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Sea Pearl needs a backsplash...

Posted by Peke (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 1:37

Ok, many of you know it took me months to decide on a countertop material. So, now I need a backsplash.

I need suggestions because I am not good with colors which is why my house is not painted yet.

I know I don't want the backsplash to overpower the countertop and I don't want it dark.

I found this tile that makes the Sea Pearl look blue but it is about $60.00 per 13"x13" square. OUCH!
Peke

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sea Pearl needs a backsplash...

Here is a close up of the inset tiles..

o

I worry about this one being too busy and too dark. Peke

o

Here is another that makes the Sea Pearl look blue instead of green.

Please help with any suggestions you might have....whether it is a specific tile or a design/color suggestion. Thanks, Peke

o

I had botticino polished marble in a subway pattern in my last house and it has beautiful simple veining and bit of sea green in it. It is hard to tell the detail from the photo.

I think it would look wonderful with your sea pearl.

Here is a photo. I also attached a link. 12.95 a sq ft. Not bad!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to BS

o

Here is another that would look nice with your sea pearl. Also, very affordable. They have other lovely choices as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to BS

o

Go for light...that light blue glass square is quite pretty in bringing out the blue in the counter... Still, I think you can do better...keep hunting, if you have the time.... I just finished my kitchen but will wait another ten weeks or more for backsplash on back order ... Just cannot bear the thought of starting over....

o

Peke, is it that there are both blue and green in your Sea Pearl and you want to emphasize the blue? I'm definitely not a color theorist, but I thought if you put blue next to, say, blue-green, it would emphasize the green. Or, if you have blue eyes, you don't wear blue eyeshadow to make them stand out. Anyhoo...

I would choose a solid color or at least a homogenous looking backsplash. Your counter is too wonderful to have a busy backsplash vying for attention. A definite no to the one you feel is busy and dark. I'm tired of looking at them on line so I doubt I could live with it in my kitchen.

I forget, what is the rest of your kitchen like?

o

I would pick one of the light, creamy, neutral tones in the sea pearl and try to match that...something very subtle with subtle veining or texture...I don't think it has to be plain Jane .

o

The sea pearl is mostly pale gray and white. There are also some dark gray veins. There isn't any cream or tan. If I put a gray subway tile against the counter it brings out the green. If I use blue-gray it shows up as blue.

I found the blue-gray tile without the insets for half the cost.

I like the light blue, but in subway tiles.

Since my countertop is brushed, I am not sure a shiny glass look is appropriate.

Peke

o

Don't ignore the strong grain pattern of your oak cabinets. Your kitchen can't take another busy pattern in a mosaic. The mosaics are also too contemporary for your kitchen. In looking at your partial reveal thread, I noticed you are displaying old pottery in your glass cabinets. I would stick with a good quality, solid-colored traditional ceramic tile, maybe even in a 4 x 4 square.

o

Have a look at the Island Stone glass series tile -- if you can find the right color and format, I think it would look great with the Sea Pearl -- the glass has a matte finish so it wouldn't compete so much as complement the Sea Pearl -- pricing is in the mid 20's/sq. ft.

o

I think a light gray would be nice in either a subway, squares, or diamonds.

o

Peke, when I was looking for bs tiles I saw a photo on houzz of Susan Jablon 3/4 inch curved white milk glass tiles that read beautiful blue green color. The "white" in the description doesn't do it justice as it is actually blue green. I remember thinking if I had Peke's beautiful sea pearl this would be the bs I would choose. I don't know how to link for you but maybe another GW could find it and link it for you.

o

If you go to houzz and type that description in you will see the pics of it installed.

o

holly-kay, is this the one you're referring to?

Here is a link that might be useful: Susan Jablon curved milk glass tiles on Houzz

o

Yes! Thank you jbrig.

o

You're welcome, holly-kay. Hope the OP gets a chance to check it out.

o

Holly and jbrigg- that is gorgeous! I think it would look great with peke's sea pearl!

o

Me too! I thought of Peke's kitchen right away when I saw it.

o

Mays, I worried about the oak grain too.

RMS, the island stone colors are perfect. I am going to try to find them locally.

A2, Holly-Kay, and jbrig- I love the subway tiles. I think the milk glass might overpower the sea pearl. Maybe in a subway tile? Brick like?

The Sea Pearl is really sort of muted. You don't really notice it. What about a frosted tile? Would all glass tiles be contemporary?

Here is a frosted glass picture.

o

Blue or gray frosted

o

Look at the tile on the lower left . This is a clear glass subway tile that looks blue. It has a white paper on the back. I thought clear would be clear....

Does the white paper stay on the back?

o

Sea Pearl is the star, would tiles made of nature stone in matte finish in color similar to Sea Pearl's work?

o

I don't know. People talk about too much movement in cabinets and countertops, yet I see pictures that show lots of countertop movement with a backsplash that has movement.

Look at the glass tile in the bottom left of picture. It is supposed to be clear, but it looks blue. Peke

o

Peke, I really think your kitchen needs something that is traditional. I love your kitchen and your " my precious" oven. I am anxious to see what you choose.

o

My glass subways look green and were called beige. Beats me.If I remember correctly, the paper stays on.
I'm glad you are looking at a simple backsplash. I know I loved the little mosaics, and we actually put some up before I, with some GW help saw that it was wrong to have 2 competing surfaces.

o

Sixty, I love that look. Amazing that your tiles were called beige. How big are your grout lines? Is it easy to keep clean?

Holly-Kay, I don't really know what traditional is. Is glass subway tile modern?

Peke

o

I love glass subway tile but I do think it has a more contemporary flair to it. With that being said the mini milk glass tiles were also glass but to me looked very traditional.

I think a subway tile would look gorgeous in your kitchen but I think a crackle subway tile would look better than the glass version. I am not a designer so I may be way off track.

I just LOVE your kitchen. I think it has a beautiful, serene, vintage feel to it, so maybe when I say you need a traditional tile I mean a classic or vintage type tile.

o

Peke, I'm with those that say the mosaics and glass are too contemporary, even the frosted glass. Your counter is too beautiful to be paired with something like what you posted on 9/2 at 13:00. That would be an utter travesty.

Consider crackle tile. It reads like a solid, but has more life than a solid.

o

That one was not considered once I got it home. It just looked wrong, but I figured I didn't know what I was doing.

Ok, I will keep looking. Peke

o

I looked at some crackle tile, but my kitchen looked so blah! peke

o

Can't quite believe the "blah," Peke. Maybe post some pictures in this thread from across the room? Do you have UCL? I saw a pretty marble 2 x 2 today that was polished and had a good amount of mica shine, have you tried something like that?

o

Peke, your blah is my no-drama calm and serene. :)

o

Looked at your reveal thread again. You said that you liked the softness of the Sea Pearl, so wouldn't you want something soft and subtle for the backsplash? I am having a hard time picturing marble, MOP, crackle tile, mosaic, etc. with your strongly-grained traditional oak cabinets.
You seem to want color, but I think it's going to be hard to find a colored field tile that matches Sea Pearl. Have you considered doing an accent strip with some soft colors, along with a traditional field tile? Here's a tastefully done accent strip in ceramic.

o

may_flowers, my crackle tile is actually pretty soft and subtle. My distance vision is pretty good, but I can't discern the crackles unless I get 12" away. It really reads as a solid. So why not get a solid? Crackle just has a nice overall look without it being obvious.

o

Sixty - thanks for posting - I always loved your kitchen
May - Love that concept - OK - I did something similar but love the one you found - not sure if yours or not
Peke - You will know when you found it!

o

Linelle, I think your white-painted Shaker-style cabinets are exactly the type of cabinets made for crackle tile.

o

a2, no, not my kitchen. It's a photo I saved because I have solid beige quartz counters and I know I'm going to have to bring some color and interest in somehow.

o

To all-
Marble did not look good against my Sea Pearl. Neither did MOP or anything with iridescent shine.

I have not found any regular tile that pulls out the blue-gray in the counter. I also want to tone down the green. Or maybe use pale blue and green that are very close in color. I found that combination in glass tiles.

Yes, I did like the brushed side of the Sea Pearl because it was softer than the polished side. The green really showed up on the polished side. I really want some color besides gray and brown in my kitchen. (brown from cabinets)

Will take more pics and post them soon.

Thanks everyone. Peke

o

Here is a picture from a distance.
Peke

o

Here are green, white, and blue-.gray glass tiles.
The middle one is really green

o

these are the sizes I could get. The two bright tiles are just for size. They didn't have my colors in those sizes.

o

These are the three that would work colorwise.

o

On the previous picture, the one on the left that looks like blue is really green. How are these colors? I could use one or two or all three tiles.

Here is a different angle in this picture. Peke

o

Sorry you're having so much trouble finding a good match. The (pricy) tile that you posted in your original post and liked so much seems to work well... who makes it and what's it called? Have you tried searching for it online or at other local stores? Perhaps you could find a better deal that way. I've also found that sometimes the same tile is carried by others, but w/ a different name.

o

Just came across a few pics of a laundry room backsplash that you might want to look at. Maybe they will inspire you ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out the 1st few pics on this page

o

Sorry for the multiple posts--I'm gonna stop after this, I promise.

Just another possible picture of interest. If the link below doesn't work, it's the fifth picture down on the blogger's post from 4/19/11. The pic is actually being used to illustrate how a dark wood floor can ground a room. Here is her blog: http://yournestdesign.blogspot.com/2011/04/asked-and-answered-color-help.html

Here is a link that might be useful: From C.B.I.D. Home Decor & Design's blog

o

I like the colors, but I'm not liking the shiny glass with your kitchen. Maybe frosted/matte glass? Or better yet, ceramic which is more fitting with your traditional kitchen. Have you checked out Heath Ceramics? They have the coolest ceramic tile IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Health Ceramics - tile

o

What about a subway tile like Sonoma Tilemakers 'Stellar' in a light neutral? Their matte glaze would be great with the oak. Maybe you could then use a two row pencil line accent like I posted above, using the three colors of glass tiles. I like the three colors mixed together. Clearly you'd like glass tiles, so let's make it work!

o

Sonoma Stellar is beautiful!

o

I looked at all of the tiles on the sites you suggested. The problem is none of the colors work. I need ocean colors, but much lighter blues and greens.

Well, with my daughter's outdoor wedding coming up soon, I have 4 weekends left to finish the kitchen and paint the living room and finish the electrical in the kitchen. Installed the Sharpe microwave drawer and it doesn't work. No water to dishwater yet because I need to find an undercounter filter and a utility faucet first.........

So, I now see why so many people are ABB! 😢
I will be right there with them. I am giving up until after the wedding.

Whew! That is one thing off my mind. I will try again later. I know the colors exist. I just need more time to find them. Thanks to all of you for steering me in the right direction.
Peke

o

Sometimes it's best to just step back, take a breather and come back to it again later. Sounds like that's a good choice for you right now, especially w/ your daughter's upcoming wedding. Hope all the other details work out smoothly and y'all have a fantastic time making wedding memories!

o

Peke, I just ordered my second round of 5 samples for $5 from the glass tile store. And intend to copy this cute idea for a craft project if I end up ordering a 5 tile sample of the white minibricks which are the current front runner (small samples aren't available) http://www.glasstilestore.com/mini-brick-oyster-white-pearl-tile-mini-brick-pattern.html

I remember how long it took to find my slab, so I'm resigning myself to a long process over the b/s, too. Hang in there, we'll make it!

Here is a link that might be useful: glasstilestore.com

o

Yes, I think I need a break!

Kks, I have been looking at the same site. Did you see their clearance sale? Nice tiles, but not my colors.

Did you see Matchstix Kismet? Pretty but not my colors. Pink, lavender, light gray, dark gray, blue marble.

Another one is Enchanted Folk Stone Marble. Wow!
Enchanted Grecian Marble and Glass tile is calling my name too!

I think the Loft blue-gray might work for me. I am ordering samples too. Then I am taking a break from tiles. I need to get my brand new Sharpe microwave oven drawer repaired. I have horrible luck don't I? I always get broken appliances. Eke

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty tiles

o

Ok, I reread your post again. You ordered two sets of samples at two different times? I just ordered my first set. How long did you wait until you ordered the 2nd set?

Did you see the picture frames with a sea star and shells with the mother of pearl tiles inside the glass? What a cute idea.

o

Yes, I love it, and my daughters are crafty, so they'll do something with the tile samples when this is over. I think it took less than a week to get samples, I think I've had the first samples for a week (sorry for being vague - time is beginning to blur 2 months into my 6 week remodel). Today I ordered another set. I was able to rule out most of the samples immediately, but hope I'll have more contenders with the second set. I'm pretty sure I want small or mini white mosaic with little or no contrast; maybe the one I posted but maybe frosted glass.
I can see a gray/blue working for you, good luck!

o

I ordered many sets of samples from them before I made my final decision. I then ordered single sheets of my "finalists" and duct taped them to the wall (glass tiles are heavy:) This was a great company do purchase from. My backsplash was just installed last week and I am really happy with it. Each piece of tile was in perfect condition.

o

Anna, pic needed please! I think I will buy a whole sheet too when or if I finally choose one.

Kks, here are my five samples.

Enchanted Grecian. Pretty, but it has a rhinestone looking piece in it that I don't like.

o

This one is isle mystique. Pretty good match, but not sure if I like the shine.

o

MOP mini bricks

o

Serene mop...verymthin.

NO grout needed!
I wonder if it stays on well.

o

Nacre white 3D pearl.

NO grout! I like the idea of no grout.

o

All 5 lined up. I like the two on the right, but I am pretty sure they are not "traditional"!😁😁😁

o

Hi Peke,
I just posted a photo under "Blue Pearl in need of a backsplash." It was perfect for my granite. I just packed up two boxes of samples and full sheets. It took me a long time to find something I loved. In the meantime, my family would lose patience with me when they would hear a crash on the countertop--just one more taped sample falling off the wall:)

Your countertops are perhaps the most beautiful I have ever seen! Take your time and find something subtle that allows them to continue to be the star of the show. I was thinking maybe a plain subway with something soft like this as an accent or an accent on a particular wall.
http://www.glasstilestore.com/seaspray-blend-squares-1-2-x-1-2-marble-glass-tiles.html
They are backordered, but they usually can give you the date of anticipated arrival. They also have a blue version, but it might be too blue.

o

I love the one on the right. It picks up the sea pearl and it is still quiet and doesn't distract from the sea pearl.

o

Wow I love the no grout ones too. How does that work exactly. They look lovely with your countertop.

o

The sea spray is one of the ones I looked at first. It is a little too gray with the gray counter and gray painted walls.

I like the last two. IRL it doesn't shine much. Of course I don't have UCLs installed yet so that could make a difference.

I have no idea how well the no grout thing works. It says to use a thin set, but it also says something about peel and stick tiles.
Peke

o

I like the ones on right too.

I also like the one with the rhinestones, but those I'd replace. I would put in -at random-blue, green, & gray.

o

okay; I added a picture from my patio. I have 3 colors of glass tile.

o

Bookworm, that is lovely.
Peke, I have a seaspray sample, it isn't gray IRL but the glossy glass pieces have iridescence and imo the look is therefore more glitzy in a teenage girl way.
Another sample I have is 2 x 2 loft super white frosted, I really love the color which is a soft watery green/blue. I may find a way to use that tile somewhere in my house, but I definitely think it would work with your sea pearl. The loft white ice frosted 1 x 2s could also work, they are lighter in tone and have much less blue than super white, but they aren't white let alone stark white.
Peke, it looks to me like mop and sea pearl would perfectly complement each other but I love love love mop and am not a designer. The no grout thing sounds great!

o

Ordering more samples and will wait until after the wedding to decide....or later....LOL

Bookworm. I never even thought of replacing the rhinestone tiles. Thanks.

o

Peke, I'm 99% sure I'm going with Sea Pearl as well. I too am trying to emphasize the blues/grays (I will have a gray island.) The BS I've narrowed it down to a glass subway tile or a ceramic subway tile. I really like the size and shape of it and think it keeps a classic feel. The samples I have gotten are a clear or white glass (which ends up picking up the colors you have in the counter) or a gray. I You have probably picked it by now, looking forward to seeing your choice.

o

Bookworm, I like those small tiles of bright colors. I might see what I can do with small inset tiles.

We painted the kitchen/living room a pale gray with a touch of blue. It is way too much gray so we will be painting it again. We are thinking about a darker shade of blue-green but it all depends on the backslash tile colors.

o

I found a tile color called Capri from Ann Sacks. Very soft colors. It has been discontinued, but maybe I can find something close to it.

How did you choose the size of tile for your backslash? I know I don't like the really big subway tiles. What are reasons for choosing 1" vs 1"x2" vs 3"x6"?

o

Peke, if you're still considering a blue tile, I'd buy a quart of blue paint and paint the wall. I think you may be focusing too much on the slight blue you see in the counter, but when painted/tiled, it can end up clashing with the main color of the counter. You can see the blue in person, but we only see photos of the overall color, which I think is a better way of seeing if the the colors match. I think MOP works well in an all-white kitchen to add a little something to break up the white, but I wouldn't put it in your kitchen.

Do you only have the sink wall to tile?

o

Yes, only that wall... about 11-12 feet. We painted the wall gray since the countertop is mostly gray. So boring and bland. I wanted soft colors, but the gray was horrible. I just want some soft blues and greens for the tile. The countertop does not really standout so it is not a focal point. MOP is too delicate and thin for me.

So, what are the reasons for choosing a specific size tile?

o

Peke, I haven't seen you on the forum for awhile (but have been here less myself lately). Have you seen the fabulous encore tiles several GWers have used? Did you see how my backsplash turned out? I'm very happy with it though install wasn't ideal and I worry about the amount and quality of my grout lines. It has the mop without being delicate and I think the colors would look really nice with seapearl.
 photo IMG_1482_zps5292bee6.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: kksmama reveal

o

Kksmama, I loved your reveal pictures. That color backslash would match the Sea pearl, but I am a little bit lazy in the kitchen. I would probably never clean all those tiles with the ridges. LOL

I will be painting blue and green color samples on the wall by the Sea pearl. We did this for the gray paint and it looked good. Once we painted the entire room, it didn't look very good. It matches, but maybe too much. Too much hospital gray. The Seapearl color changed once they put the sealer on it. It was supposed to not change the color.
Pictures of paint samples will be posted next.
Peke

o

Loft seafoam brick picture in the link. It is a possibility.

Here is a link that might be useful: loft seafoam brick

o

Tao Bliss tile

Here is a link that might be useful: tao bliss glass tile atore

o

Can't wait to see what you finally decide on!

o

Paint samples from Sherwin Williams. Once I get it narrowed down to 4 or 5 I will paint them on the wall.

I like the darker colors with the oak cabinets, but the lighter colors go with the Sea pearl better. The green seems to work better.

What does everyone think? Peke

o

Paint samples against the quartzite.

o

I wish I had a sample of your sea pearl to hold against my paint samplw wheel. I think I would go with a lighter color, both for contrast and to let the SP shine. I;m thinking a cool gray, like the ones towards the front. In particular, R side, second up from botton. Perhaps take picture with a few samples, and give each a number? I still don't think I can tell the tone right. In the end, I'm sure you will find the right color.

o

My eyes also went to the row closest to the counter edge. The others are too blue.

I would think the light colors in a glass tile would read as "ice". You're using glass, correct?

o

I also like the lighter. It's hard to tell which ones match the best, but I think a greenish gray would be gorgeous if that what looks best in person. What are the names of some of the light colors? In particular, what is the 1st and 2nd from the front in the row closest to the edge?

o

1. Sw6225 sleepy blue
2. Sw6218 tradewind
3. Sw6219 rain
4. Sw6220 interesting aqua
5. Sw6226 languid blue
6. Sw6227 meditative
7. Sw6221 moody blue
8. Sw6228 refuge
9. Sw6211 rainwashed
10. Sw6212 quietude
11. Sw6213 halcyon green
12. Sw6214 underseas

o

Too dark

o

Interesting aqua and meditative next to cabinets. I like the darker colors against the oak.

o

Blue gray in real life.

o

Blue gray and some weird color vein... bronze maybe??

o

Blue gray in circles. Tannish gray

o

Subtle blue green

o

2 sample colors

o

2 sample colors

o

One of my inspirations at the beginning.....anne sacks tiles. I couldn't find a slab to go with them.

I just really like the blue-green colors.

o

I found this one today. It's a good thing I am not rich. I would start all over for this one.

I would have loved to have put stained glass in my upper cabinets.

I ordered 5 samples from glass tile store yesterday. Loft blue gray frosted, Tao bliss, Tao beach, Loft seafoam brick, and Coastal shower beached glass. I will post picks when I get them.

I know I have traditional cabinets, but I just love the frosted glass tiles.

o

Do you think it would be better to pick out your backsplash first and then your paint color?

o

I don't have a suggestion re: your tile choices, but I love the tile colors you're looking at for your backsplash. And your paint choices are beautiful, also. However, I did want to encourage you to consider waiting on making a final decision on your wall color til your backsplash is installed, as msrose suggested.

Secondly, I know you've mentioned liking how the darker paint colors contrast w/ your cabs. From personal experience (both good and bad!), I've found that, even w/ lighter colors, the wall color can end up looking much more intense than it appears when you only have a splotch/poster board size sample up. So, if you go w/ one of the darker colors, you may end up w/ a much darker result than anticipated.

Can't wait to see your final results; as I've said, I love these calming blues/greens you're using.

o

I wonder how Comfort Gray would look.

o

MS-We are picking the tile first, but our kitchen, living room, dining room is one huge room. They all have to be painted the same color. So we need to choose the tile and paint at the same time.

I thought about painting blue or green on the wall then putting the other color on top.... one of those multi layer techniques.

JBRIG- I like lighter paint and my husband likes darker
.... so we painted a medium color.

We have tried multiple shades of gray, but I don't think we tried that one. The problem is the gray does not look good anywhere else. I could get gray tile, then paint a green or blue color, I guess. The living, kitchen, and dining room is probably 30' x 45'. That is a lot of gray paint.... it looks like a hospital so we thought we would use blue-green paint to get some color in our dark house. Light paint and dark paint do not make rooms look lighter so we want a medium color.

What to do.... what to do... Will this ever end? LOL Peke

o

Oh no! Someone stop me....I love this cobalt blue/sapphire blue tile. White cabinets.... oh, help me. I have to stop looking. Peke

o

Peke - When looking at the paint samples lined up against the wall, what is the 2nd from the left?

o

MS, That is SW 6212- Quietude. A lot of the green in my counter is that color, but I would like to tone that color down if possible. Not my favorite color...

As you can see in the picture there is also a darker green (evergreen?) in one part. Then white sections, then gray-blue sections, then bronze/brown veins and white veins, then gray sections. I can't match all the different colors.

This picture was BEFORE the sealer went on. I liked it better before the sealer.

o

With that gorgeous countertop, I would definitely go with a green undertone paint color. I just cannot see blue with it.

I also at first glance liked quietude, halcyon and underseas. Just my opinion.

Love the kitchen and the stone is fabulous!

o

I don't think you can or should fight the undertones. If the undertone is green and you put a blue tile with it, you've got a solid blue against a solid green surface. The secondary colors are too subtle in your counter. You'll need to be right up on it to see that you were attempting to pull out a color from the granite. I have seen a few kitchens like that posted here, and IMO, it always looks a little off.

o

Peke-glad to see your back. How was the wedding?
What colors are the existing furnishings in your living room & dining room? I have an adjoining family & breakfast room so I understand the challenge of finding a paint color that works in all three rooms. Add in the backsplash hunt & it can get discouraging. So you probably do need to find your paint color first?
I know blue green looks good with oak cabinets. That "pale blue green" that you circled on your Sea Pearl looks very much like the faux paint wallpaper I recently took down (still loved it but couldn't save it with the reno & I'm never doing wallpaper again). It did look great with oak cabinets. Another gray (if gray works) is BM La Paloma Gray, a medium fresh, clean gray that works with blues & greens (my accent colors). It was recommended to me. I thought it would be too dark but I love it. I do have a good bit of natural light.

o

I am in denial about the blue... I know. I just hate that color of green. I like blue greens. I don't want gray walls in the rest of the area. I wonder if the sealant could be removed. It was not supposed to change the color. It might not make a difference though.

I could go with gray tiles, but I would still be stuck with the green tones. There is only one part of my kitchen where the countertop touches the painted wall. I just realized that I don't know what to do with the side wall. Tile it? The depth of the uppers? The lowers? Just paint it? Put a piece of oak there?

Off to buy more samples. Thanks everyone! Peke

I think all of you are right. I will keep trying paint colors.

o

No matter what I choose the paint color has to be next to the horrible colors in the fireplace monstrosity. We have way too much to remodel so the fireplace will be last. I am hoping we can cover it with something, but that may be ten years down the road.

o

My original colors.

o

Or this one... less blue.

o

Or this one.

I need to go toward a yellowish greenish tone because of the oak and fireplace rock and oak floors.

I would hate for my major regret to be the most expensive thing in my kitchen...the Sea Pearl.

o

What is the tile you posted at 20:32?
Its gorgeous!!!
I also like the darker paint colors next to the oak.
If it makes you feel better i painted probably 15 swatches before I found my paint color. Good luck!!!

o

On the last picture you posted, what is the first color, the one that has "seeds"
On it?

o

Look at BM november rain and if it's too light just have them mix it with more color. It's perfect for your space and counter. IMHO.

Here is a link that might be useful: November Rain

o

Bosma, I can't remember the name, but Google it using key words hand-painted, glass tiles, sapphire blue, cobalt blue, etc. If I see it tomorrow, I will post the name. At last count I have 31 paint samples. I am now mixing the colors to see what I can get. I am sure I will get the perfect color, then I won't be able to create it again.

Cani123, the pictures are missing when I tried to look at them. Is this the picture? These are hex #s converted to RGB colors. Then I use a website to see which brand of paint and color to try. The problem is everyone's computer colors are slightly different. Try these names for Benjamin Moore: Arctic Blue, Icy Moon Drops, or Forget Me Not. For Sherwin Williams try Swimming, Bubble, Tame Teal, or Open Air. If you use a different brand, tell me the brand name and I can find the color. The RGB #s are R 200, G 230, B 228.

Isabel98, I looked at it, but it was a little too yellowish. I think I am getting closer to a paint color though. I found some new colors. One of them is close to November Rain.

o

Bosma, I found the tile. It is called Catwalk. Site is Marazzi USA under glass tile. I think it is beautiful.

Here are some more paint chips. I underlined the last color because some of them blended in very well. #4, 5, and 10 all have three colors but it is easy to miss the 3rd color. I think I am getting closer.

o

The first 6 tiles against the backslash wall.

o

Why does my computer change backsplash to backslash? It drives me crazy.

Here are #7-12.

o

I found these tiles today, but I can't remember the name of the last one.

Anyone know about how well the Thassos (marble) will hold up as a backsplash? Stains? Not sure about the Asian statuary.

o

Getting closer to the right color?

o

@jbrig, thanks for posting that link to The Enchanted Home. Glyn Weakly boutique is not too far from my home and it is one of my very favorite stores. I have purchased some accessories there over the years. We are fortunate to have such a nice store in our area. Thanks for sharing that.

Peke, I love your countertops, you have great taste so I know you will find the perfect BS.

o

The middle color blends in.

Here is a link that might be useful: chip it

o

Another chip it picture. It seems it changes with the light or shadows.

Here is a link that might be useful: chip it

o

This chip is Valspar's Smoke Infusion in the middle. Sometimes it looks blue-gray and sometimes it looks green-gray. I don't think I am going to find a paint color that works in all the areas of my kitchen and during the different lights/shadows. Smoke Infusion is the chip it sample in all of the pictures.

o

Smoke infusion next to the cabinets.

o

Smoke infusion

o

Smoke infusion

o

Smoke infusion

o

Smoke infusion

o

What about these tiles against the Sea Pearl then the paint above? The paint color is not right up next to the Sea Pearl so do you think it would work?

I am leaning towards the Thassos marble, but it depends on keeping it stain free. I would get honed so that should help with etching. The IC matte tile looks good too.

Would super large tiles like 4 x 12 be more contemporary looking? I don't like the tiny ones. Not sure about 3 x 6 either.

Thanks, peke

o

The tile on the far right looks like the best match as far as color. Did you decide against a blue tile or did you just have a hard time finding the right color?

Smoke Infusion looks good in your pictures. I just googled it and while I was looking, I came across BM Grey Mirage. Is that one you've looked at? It's probably too gray, but thought I would mention it.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Gray Mirage

This post was edited by msrose on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 20:03

o

Here's a kitchen with sea pearl and blue paint. Unfortunately, it doesn't say what the paint color is.

o

Here's a pic I found of the Valspar Smoke Infusion. Pretty color.

o

MSRose, I looked at a SW sample called Comfort Gray and Sea Salt. BM Gray Mirage is very close. I think the problem is that the stone has a light green-gray tone in the morning and has a gray-blue in the evenings.

The porcelain tile with ????? is a darker beige color compared to the white and off white/cream in the counter. Plus it has the veins like the marble.

I like the picture with the white subway tiles. The blue-green paint is not touching the Sea Pearl so I think that is why it works. It is very pretty against the white walls. Thank you for finding that picture.

Romy718, that is a pretty color with those wood floors. It's a prettier color than I thought it would be. I haven't seen pictures of it yet, just paint chips. Thank you!

I have also looked at crackle tile, but I think it is too shiny. I have to drive two hours one way to see it in person. It may have too much pattern/movement in it.

I will pick up the Valspar sample color tomorrow to see if it will work. I can't believe the backsplash and paint is taking me this long. I really appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions. It truly helps me to see through other's eyes.

Peke

o

Romy718, I saw your Silver Crackle backsplash. Your kitchen is wonderful! I have to go Encore website to see if they have any tile without the shine.

o

I love that picture msrose posted of that wall color with the sea pearl. I went to look at slabs last weekend and saw several slabs of the sea pearl. It is so gorgeous! I am totally drawn to it but remembered your posts in trying to find matching backsplash and paint and decided I didn't want to have the same headache, lol. In the slabs I saw it looked like there were areas of cream in them. I think I would use the cream for the backsplash and then try to find that gorgeous paint color in that picture. On my screen the paint in that picture looked looked more green than blue.

o

Encore crackle colors/ Green board
These are pics Marthastoo took
Edit: spelling error

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 11:21

o

Green board colors. This tile runs about $29? /sq ft

o

Blue board- marthastoo pic

o

Blue board colors. Not sure if this tile will work for you but I reposted the boards here so others could give their input.

o

Peke,

That Smoke Infusion looks really nice. And hey, it might just work out perfectly, since you said both the paint color and the spots in your granite change from green-gray to blue-gray throughout the day--so long as they both change to the same color at the same time, right? ;-)

One thing I've found helpful when trying out paint samples is to get some pieces of foam poster board and paint several of them, so that I could place them in different areas around the room--or sometimes even all together in one spot so I could better visualize how a larger area of that color would look.

I know I've said this before, but I can't wait to see your finished kitchen--it's going to be fabulous :-)

I think you're right

o

Oh, and I forgot to add that those Encore crackle tiles are really pretty, too--even if you went w/ one of the white ones to break up the expanse between paint and countertop, they are really pretty, yet subtle.

o

The photo that msrose posted is beautiful. The color seems perfect and the white subway with light grey grout ties everything together instead of competing with the beautiful granite. A white crackle would add a little interest, but the plain and simple might be a case of where less is more. I do like the idea of a white subway with a light gray grout. It would also look nice with your beautiful oak cabinets.

o

Kalapointer's beautiful crackle backsplash, Pratt & Larson Water Color Line.

o

Another pic of kalapointer's backsplash. Not sure if a color or neutral is better for you Peke. Just posting so others can weigh in.

o

I didn't want any shine, but that is a beautiful tile. First picture shows gray green and second shows gray blue and green on my monitor.

I can't decide whether to go with light tiles that blend in or with some color like the crackle tiles. I like the idea of a darker grout that won't show stains as much as a white grout. Sealed of course. I guess I will be doing a road trip next week. I hate driving 2 hours just to pick up tile samples, them driving 2 hours back home. I plan on picking up Sonoma, Encore, Pratt and Larson and any other suggestions I get. Thanks, Peek

Oh this is pathetic...I just noticed the number of posts on this thread. Thank you everyone for helping. Peke

o

Peke, be sure to let us know what you decide. It should be a fun road trip. Drive safely

o

This color is cielo. I wish it was a subway tile.

o

Ocean Blue. So pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here