Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Sea Pearl needs a backsplash...

Peke
10 years ago

Ok, many of you know it took me months to decide on a countertop material. So, now I need a backsplash.

I need suggestions because I am not good with colors which is why my house is not painted yet.

I know I don't want the backsplash to overpower the countertop and I don't want it dark.

I found this tile that makes the Sea Pearl look blue but it is about $60.00 per 13"x13" square. OUCH!
Peke

Comments (156)

• romy718
    10 years ago

Peke-glad to see your back. How was the wedding?
    What colors are the existing furnishings in your living room & dining room? I have an adjoining family & breakfast room so I understand the challenge of finding a paint color that works in all three rooms. Add in the backsplash hunt & it can get discouraging. So you probably do need to find your paint color first?
    I know blue green looks good with oak cabinets. That "pale blue green" that you circled on your Sea Pearl looks very much like the faux paint wallpaper I recently took down (still loved it but couldn't save it with the reno & I'm never doing wallpaper again). It did look great with oak cabinets. Another gray (if gray works) is BM La Paloma Gray, a medium fresh, clean gray that works with blues & greens (my accent colors). It was recommended to me. I thought it would be too dark but I love it. I do have a good bit of natural light.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in denial about the blue... I know. I just hate that color of green. I like blue greens. I don't want gray walls in the rest of the area. I wonder if the sealant could be removed. It was not supposed to change the color. It might not make a difference though.

I could go with gray tiles, but I would still be stuck with the green tones. There is only one part of my kitchen where the countertop touches the painted wall. I just realized that I don't know what to do with the side wall. Tile it? The depth of the uppers? The lowers? Just paint it? Put a piece of oak there?

Off to buy more samples. Thanks everyone! Peke

I think all of you are right. I will keep trying paint colors.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No matter what I choose the paint color has to be next to the horrible colors in the fireplace monstrosity. We have way too much to remodel so the fireplace will be last. I am hoping we can cover it with something, but that may be ten years down the road.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My original colors.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or this one... less blue.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or this one.

I need to go toward a yellowish greenish tone because of the oak and fireplace rock and oak floors.

I would hate for my major regret to be the most expensive thing in my kitchen...the Sea Pearl.

{{!gwi}}

• bosma
    10 years ago

What is the tile you posted at 20:32?
    Its gorgeous!!!
    I also like the darker paint colors next to the oak.
    If it makes you feel better i painted probably 15 swatches before I found my paint color. Good luck!!!

• cani
    10 years ago

On the last picture you posted, what is the first color, the one that has "seeds"
    On it?

• isabel98
    10 years ago

Look at BM november rain and if it's too light just have them mix it with more color. It's perfect for your space and counter. IMHO.

Here is a link that might be useful: [November Rain[(https://www.houzz.com/products/november-rain-2142-60-by-benjamin-moore-prvw-vr~265843)

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bosma, I can't remember the name, but Google it using key words hand-painted, glass tiles, sapphire blue, cobalt blue, etc. If I see it tomorrow, I will post the name. At last count I have 31 paint samples. I am now mixing the colors to see what I can get. I am sure I will get the perfect color, then I won't be able to create it again.

Cani123, the pictures are missing when I tried to look at them. Is this the picture? These are hex #s converted to RGB colors. Then I use a website to see which brand of paint and color to try. The problem is everyone's computer colors are slightly different. Try these names for Benjamin Moore: Arctic Blue, Icy Moon Drops, or Forget Me Not. For Sherwin Williams try Swimming, Bubble, Tame Teal, or Open Air. If you use a different brand, tell me the brand name and I can find the color. The RGB #s are R 200, G 230, B 228.

Isabel98, I looked at it, but it was a little too yellowish. I think I am getting closer to a paint color though. I found some new colors. One of them is close to November Rain.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bosma, I found the tile. It is called Catwalk. Site is Marazzi USA under glass tile. I think it is beautiful.

Here are some more paint chips. I underlined the last color because some of them blended in very well. #4, 5, and 10 all have three colors but it is easy to miss the 3rd color. I think I am getting closer.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The first 6 tiles against the backslash wall.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Why does my computer change backsplash to backslash? It drives me crazy.

Here are #7-12.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found these tiles today, but I can't remember the name of the last one.

Anyone know about how well the Thassos (marble) will hold up as a backsplash? Stains? Not sure about the Asian statuary.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Getting closer to the right color?

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

@jbrig, thanks for posting that link to The Enchanted Home. Glyn Weakly boutique is not too far from my home and it is one of my very favorite stores. I have purchased some accessories there over the years. We are fortunate to have such a nice store in our area. Thanks for sharing that.

Peke, I love your countertops, you have great taste so I know you will find the perfect BS.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The middle color blends in.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another chip it picture. It seems it changes with the light or shadows.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This chip is Valspar's Smoke Infusion in the middle. Sometimes it looks blue-gray and sometimes it looks green-gray. I don't think I am going to find a paint color that works in all the areas of my kitchen and during the different lights/shadows. Smoke Infusion is the chip it sample in all of the pictures.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smoke infusion next to the cabinets.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smoke infusion

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smoke infusion

{{!gwi}}

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smoke infusion

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smoke infusion

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What about these tiles against the Sea Pearl then the paint above? The paint color is not right up next to the Sea Pearl so do you think it would work?

I am leaning towards the Thassos marble, but it depends on keeping it stain free. I would get honed so that should help with etching. The IC matte tile looks good too.

Would super large tiles like 4 x 12 be more contemporary looking? I don't like the tiny ones. Not sure about 3 x 6 either.

Thanks, peke

• msrose
    10 years ago

The tile on the far right looks like the best match as far as color. Did you decide against a blue tile or did you just have a hard time finding the right color?

Smoke Infusion looks good in your pictures. I just googled it and while I was looking, I came across BM Grey Mirage. Is that one you've looked at? It's probably too gray, but thought I would mention it.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Gray Mirage

This post was edited by msrose on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 20:03

• msrose
    10 years ago

Here's a kitchen with sea pearl and blue paint. Unfortunately, it doesn't say what the paint color is.

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Walpole Tile, Stone & Countertops Premier Stone Granite & Marble Wholesale Supplier

• romy718
    10 years ago

Here's a pic I found of the Valspar Smoke Infusion. Pretty color.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MSRose, I looked at a SW sample called Comfort Gray and Sea Salt. BM Gray Mirage is very close. I think the problem is that the stone has a light green-gray tone in the morning and has a gray-blue in the evenings.

The porcelain tile with ????? is a darker beige color compared to the white and off white/cream in the counter. Plus it has the veins like the marble.

I like the picture with the white subway tiles. The blue-green paint is not touching the Sea Pearl so I think that is why it works. It is very pretty against the white walls. Thank you for finding that picture.

Romy718, that is a pretty color with those wood floors. It's a prettier color than I thought it would be. I haven't seen pictures of it yet, just paint chips. Thank you!

I have also looked at crackle tile, but I think it is too shiny. I have to drive two hours one way to see it in person. It may have too much pattern/movement in it.

I will pick up the Valspar sample color tomorrow to see if it will work. I can't believe the backsplash and paint is taking me this long. I really appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions. It truly helps me to see through other's eyes.

Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Romy718, I saw your Silver Crackle backsplash. Your kitchen is wonderful! I have to go Encore website to see if they have any tile without the shine.

• cani
    10 years ago

I love that picture msrose posted of that wall color with the sea pearl. I went to look at slabs last weekend and saw several slabs of the sea pearl. It is so gorgeous! I am totally drawn to it but remembered your posts in trying to find matching backsplash and paint and decided I didn't want to have the same headache, lol. In the slabs I saw it looked like there were areas of cream in them. I think I would use the cream for the backsplash and then try to find that gorgeous paint color in that picture. On my screen the paint in that picture looked looked more green than blue.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Encore crackle colors/ Green board
    These are pics Marthastoo took
    Edit: spelling error

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 11:21

• romy718
    10 years ago

Green board colors. This tile runs about $29? /sq ft

• romy718
    10 years ago

Blue board- marthastoo pic

• romy718
    10 years ago

Blue board colors. Not sure if this tile will work for you but I reposted the boards here so others could give their input.

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

Peke,

That Smoke Infusion looks really nice. And hey, it might just work out perfectly, since you said both the paint color and the spots in your granite change from green-gray to blue-gray throughout the day--so long as they both change to the same color at the same time, right? ;-)

One thing I've found helpful when trying out paint samples is to get some pieces of foam poster board and paint several of them, so that I could place them in different areas around the room--or sometimes even all together in one spot so I could better visualize how a larger area of that color would look.

I know I've said this before, but I can't wait to see your finished kitchen--it's going to be fabulous :-)

I think you're right

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

Oh, and I forgot to add that those Encore crackle tiles are really pretty, too--even if you went w/ one of the white ones to break up the expanse between paint and countertop, they are really pretty, yet subtle.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

The photo that msrose posted is beautiful. The color seems perfect and the white subway with light grey grout ties everything together instead of competing with the beautiful granite. A white crackle would add a little interest, but the plain and simple might be a case of where less is more. I do like the idea of a white subway with a light gray grout. It would also look nice with your beautiful oak cabinets.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Kalapointer's beautiful crackle backsplash, Pratt & Larson Water Color Line.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Another pic of kalapointer's backsplash. Not sure if a color or neutral is better for you Peke. Just posting so others can weigh in.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't want any shine, but that is a beautiful tile. First picture shows gray green and second shows gray blue and green on my monitor.

I can't decide whether to go with light tiles that blend in or with some color like the crackle tiles. I like the idea of a darker grout that won't show stains as much as a white grout. Sealed of course. I guess I will be doing a road trip next week. I hate driving 2 hours just to pick up tile samples, them driving 2 hours back home. I plan on picking up Sonoma, Encore, Pratt and Larson and any other suggestions I get. Thanks, Peek

Oh this is pathetic...I just noticed the number of posts on this thread. Thank you everyone for helping. Peke

• kalapointer
    10 years ago

Peke, be sure to let us know what you decide. It should be a fun road trip. Drive safely

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This color is cielo. I wish it was a subway tile.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ocean Blue. So pretty.

• Karen D
    9 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but just wondering how your kitchen turned out and what backsplash you picked to go with your sea pearl quartzite, Peke? We also have sea pearl in our kitchen. Did you end up posting pictures of your finished kitchen?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I haven't seen Peke on here in quite awhile, but I kind of recall her posting several months after this to say she had to delay her tiling due to some other issue that came up. I don't remember a name change, so maybe she did make the move to Houzz. Is she set up to receive messages?

• casablanca103
    8 years ago

I was following along too, and wondered. I was doing my kitchen with Sea Pearl at the same time. I agree it was hard to choose a backsplash. I ended up with a mini glass subway tile called Smoke but it looks gray/green.

• Karen D
    8 years ago

casablanca103, thanks for your update. Your kitchen looks beautiful. I ended up using a medium gray glass tile with my sea pearl, as well.

• Jan
    6 years ago

casablanca103, beautiful kitchen!!

• Lisa 902
    6 years ago

Oh man. This is like reading an interesting novel and then realizing at the end that the last page is missing! I wonder what happened in that kitchen.. But Casablanca, yours is just gorgeous.