Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_mjt

If you have delicatus granite....

mrs-mjt
15 years ago

can you post a picture of your granite with your countertops? If you can't post to the website cuz you don't know how (like me), could you send me an email as my address in on "MY Page". I have delicatus on hold and am ready to pay for it, but just don't know if I LOVE it so I'm getting cold feet! I'm tempted to just go with Emerald Pearl as I know it would go with almost anything but don't know if I want the maintenance of a darker granite. Seems like I'm more drawn to consistent colors and delicatus is anything but that! I know it wouldn't be boring! Thanks!

Comments (16)

• sandsonik
    15 years ago

I don't, but I have a question about your question! How does a darker granite involve extra maintenance? It's my understanding that the darker granites, and emerald pearl in particular, don't need sealing at all and are practically impermeable. I have read complaints that Absolute Black shows every fingerprint; is that the case with all darker granites?

• daki
    15 years ago

When we iniially looked for granite, the granite yard/ warehouse had two very different looking granites both labeled "Delicatus". We liked the warmer looking one. When we finally picked out our granite, we ended up with Juparana Delicatus.

Here is one version of Delicatus we saw (this one was too grey for our kichen):

Here is one of the slabs of Juparana Delicatus we used and similar in color to one of the slabs that had been labeled plain Delicatus about a month earlier - it looks very peachy in this picture:

Here are some pictures after install. Once installed you tend to notice the overall color and tone first, then the patterns and inclusions.

{{!gwi}}

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much daki! Your kitchen is beautiful! The sample backsplash I was given of delicatus is warm with lots of carmel (not peach). I LOVED it! But when I went in to see the prefab countertops there was very little carmel in comparison to the sample and I felt disappointed. There was lots of grey and spots of black with a tad of carmel here and there. I saw the peachy delicatus and do not want that. They may get another crate in and I could look through it for more carmel colored pieces, but they may be on the peachy side so there is no way of knowing until they get it and I need to move forward with my granite choice as its time to order the sink and cabinets, etc.. It's funny because all the granite I was drawn to initially was very consistent but delicatus has lots of variety. I do like a contemporary look so delicatus would fit that criteria.

• iris16
    15 years ago

Here is my delicatus gold. It is very different from the Japurna Delicatus.
    Daki I love your grey paint and backsplash. Can you give details please?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• claybabe
    15 years ago

Wow, daki, gorgeous kitchen!

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

iris16, Beautiful color!

sandsonik, What I meant by higher maintenance is that dark colors show more dust and fingerprints than lighter colors. My friend has Uba Tuba and she likes it but said it does show streaks, etc.. if it is not wiped down correctly and consistently. There was a recent thread on how lighter granite always "looks" clean because it hides the crumbs, etc.. on your counter whereas darker tends to be less forgiving in that regard. As for stainproof, the darker granite won hands down in my torture test!

• daki
    15 years ago

iris16, our paint is actually a very neutral light beige...BM Clay Beige. Our backsplash tiles are 4"x24" Casa Dolce Casa Neutra tiles in the tortora color. It's a very subtle backsplash, but I like the unusual tile size :)

• iris16
    15 years ago

Thank you for the paint name and tile color Daki.

• dd70
    15 years ago

3AyZJQ48/s400/100_1149.JPG" />

These were taken before kitchen was complete. I love my counter but what has been really bothering me lately is that there are spots of mica (i say mica or maybe its quartz I dont know but thats what it looks like to me) that are not polished. So even after I clean it, from a distance you can see unshiny spots that look dirty to me. Is a natural thing with this granite or did my fabricator not do a great job?

• redroze
    15 years ago

Dd70 - it's not just you. We have Bianco Antico and have similar smudges/dull spots all over the granite, that you can see in certain lighting. It is the nature of this type of stone since there are so many inclusions in it, and certain areas polish differently than others. We have a very reputable fabricator so it's not a problem with yours. Gorgeous granite by the way, both you and Daki!

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dd70, Thanks for the pics! Looks great with your cab color! I have no clue about the unshiny spots you are concerned about. Sorry!

Update on my delicatus dilemma: I was given a backsplash sample of "Delicatus" that I fell in love with but when I went to look at "Delicatus" prefab counters (couldn't get a great look as they were at the back of the stack), they really appeared different than the sample. The sample has loads of carmel consistently spread throughout it, but the counters had very little carmel and lots of cream & grey which won't go as well with my cabinet color. The carmel in the sample is what attracted me to this particular granite in the first place.

Yesterday, I went to take another look and felt the same way so discussed it with my GC as he was ready to purchase it for me. I really prayed hard to receive clear direction as I continued to feel uneasy about my choice and time is running out. Well, GC told me about another granite place right near my house (wish I'd known about this first). Today I went with my sample "carmel-colored" backsplash and was pleasantly surprised to find a Persa that matches the backsplash almost perfectly. They truly look like they are the exact same granite which makes me wonder if my sample is something other than delicatus. The Persa looks more like the Gold Delicatus that iris16 posted. Anyway, they have what I need in stock so I'm planning to go take another look tomorrow so think I might be jumping the delicatus ship! This color will go so much better with my cabinet color.

Just wanted to thank you for your help and let you know how much I enjoyed the pictures of your beautiful kitchens!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Daki and DD, those are gorgeous stones! Daki, the granite looks just beautiful in your formal kitchen! (sorry for hijacking, but I just couldn't resist)

• hammybee
    15 years ago

Too funny. I have 2 slabs of Delicatus tagged, too and I am having second thoughts, also. I have never been one to hem and how over anything and yet, here I am, second guessing my choice.

I have white cabinets and appreciate the pictures from DD70.

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

IMHO, the delicatus looks stunning with dd's "white" cabinets and Daki's dark cabinets. Glad you can "see" it in someone else's kitchen to determine if it'll work for you.

• dd70
    15 years ago

Im glad to hear its the nature of the stone, I would be really upset if it was the fabricator after paying him that money.

mrs-mjt, glad it worked out for you.
    Thanks for the compliments, one day soon I hope to pick out a backsplash so I can post finished pics!

• bri615
    15 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is beautiful! We just got the Juparana Delicatus and it has more of the yellow in it then the peach. My question is we are trying to pick out paint for our kitchen and are at a loss. We cannot decide on a color. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!