Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pawa_gw

pawa's retro kitchen reveal: yellow, marmoleum, wood, and white!

pawa
11 years ago

Hey there,

This is the before and after of my kitchen, which I'm absolutely in love with! Thank-you for all your help! (Well, I didn't ask for much help, but lurking around here answered a lot of my questions without my having to post.)

I'm posting my kitchen in an incomplete state, with cab lighting and a few doors to go. But you get the idea, and if I don't post it now, I fear I never will.

My goals were:

- to improve storage and flow

- to be cheerful and bright - with one north-facing window, it has to be

- to be true to the 1950's character of the home

- to not dispose of any of my existing kitchen accoutrements in order to fit the look of the new kitchen. In other words, the kitchen has to work with my things. **

**I actually did dispose of some mismatched glasses and bought a 24-pack at Costco.

Here's the before:

Inspiration pic:

After:

cabs: ikea

sink: kohler

faucet: chicago faucets

appliances: mix n match from lowes, costco, and ikea

floor: marmoleum corn and barbados

tile: saltilotiles.com

hardware: rejuvenation

counter: maple, lumber liquidators

Comments (52)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

There's that sunflower/quilt tile! I was waiting to see it in your space. It looks lovely. Its so cool to see the Rejuvenation Saturn pulls in a real kitchen. You've done a brilliant job keeping the room true to you. I bet you're loving the new layout also.

Is that toaster pink like it appears on my screen??

• cawaps
    11 years ago

The tile is adorable! What a great space. Congratulations!

• mermanmike
    11 years ago

Great job! The tiles are so interesting. You made lots of good choices for your 50s house--beautiful.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Big smile here.... I just knew I was going to like your finished kitchen when I liked your before pictures too:) Really like the tile and your floor. Congrats!

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I like how you kept that valance detail over your sink. You really did keep the character of the kitchen while making it more functional. Really nice!

• Yvonne B
    11 years ago

I love it! You did a fabulous job of using all the space available to you while keeping true to your home.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Cheerful and bright--check!
    True to 1960's feel--check!!
    Lots of storage--check!!!

I'd say you aced it. Really like the sunflower tiles.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sandra

• senator13
    11 years ago

What a darling kitchen. I love how you represented the photo, yet really updated the space!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Great job!
    How are you liking your Chicago faucet?
    They were on my list of finals and thinking of using in my bathrooms.
    Love that tile in your kitchen!

PS. Loved your goals! I reused everything sans a few new "vessels" for the cooktop - oh and new towels- figured 17 year old dish towels deserved to be almost retired

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I love it. I approve of keeping a kitchen cheerful and making it work for you and your things. Your backsplash is incredible. Enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

OMG, it's my grandma's kitchen, only WAAAY better! That's a huge compliment in my book -- lots of hours spent in her kitchen making pie and cookies and playing cards.

Your backsplash takes my breath away! Countertop is lovely. Love the retro cabs and pull. Everything is just right.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I thought your before looked like an after, but your new one is even better. I love the wood counter and the floor. The backsplash tile, which is wonderful, is reminiscent of a 50's wallpaper pattern. Very clever! I could live in your kitchen. Excellent job!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's wonderful, you really nailed the look of your inspiration picture. Where did you find those great knobs? I love your backsplash tile too.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

It's fantastic! That tile works perfectly with your counter and space. It's my new favorite backsplash! Every time I think I decide not to consider Ikea, someone posts pics of a great kitchen like this. Maybe I just need to make friends with their software, I can't find some sizes I need on there.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    11 years ago

Boy that last pic is the money shot: all the tremendous storage you shoehorned everywhere but with the fabulous look of your '50s inspiration. And hurrah for the hudee ringed sink!

Quick question about your ''before'' kitchen: did you ever catch your clothing or bruisedly bump into the pulls on your lower cabs? I like those style pulls but not sure about the bodily injury potential.

congratulations on a thoughtful and true-to-you remodel!

• catlover5
    11 years ago

Pawa, it's so lovely!! Enjoy.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I love it! The marmoleum floor might be my favorite element. The only sad thing about this post is the fridge in your inspiration pic - I wish they still made fridges that looked like that (it's only sad because those aren't available now).

Are you moved in to the kitchen enough that you have enjoyed the improved layout and flow? Or are you still adjusting to it all?

• labbie
    11 years ago

To echo other posters, I adore your kitchen! The warmth of the wood counters, the backsplash tile, the floors. It looks like a very warm, welcoming space. I could come right over for a cup of tea :-)
    Enjoy your new space!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

So pretty and inviting! I really like it!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I really like your 'old' kitchen. It was lovely. But the new one sure adds to the function - and form. That BS just so fits your kitchen! It looks like you'll have so much more storage - that will sure make your kitchen life easier.

Great changes and choices. You met your goal of being true to your kitchen/house - and self.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Very, very cool. I love the fact that you updated and basically kept the window valance and made it work in the new kitchen.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

primo, pawa. I have to scroll back and forth to figure out why it's "modern" ... that's a complement! (That is, it really feels like the era you intended it to stay from, but works for ours).

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

Nice hudee ring! Are you oiling your butcher block or is it sealed? What a relief it must be to have your stove in it's new spot. Your old kitchen was sweet & cute but the layout was a joy of cooking killer and it was mortified by those stainless bar handles.

Love your remodeled kitchen. Very inspiring. Congratulations!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

You had me at 'retro.' It all works perfectly together--love the bright, clean lines, and all the wonderful storage. And the floor is excellent!

• pawa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, everyone!
    I'm so happy you think it's retro, and that it fits with the house!

I love the tile too! It's my favouite part, along with the recycling centre (in the pantry!).

re: Is that toaster pink like it appears on my screen??
    No, it's an equally outrageous orange.

re: how are you liking the chicago faucet?
    I'm impressed with this faucet - the flow of water is much more powerful than my previous delta faucet. The chrome, the heavy feel, and the smooth action really make me love this faucet.

re: am I all moved in or am I still adjusting.
    I'm all moved in. This layout is much better: food storage all located at kitchen entrance. There are two 'drop spots' at the entrance. Long runs of counterspace in the right spots. Dishwasher close to sink. There is so much storage, I'm bringing in stuff previously stored in other rooms. Everything's within arms' reach.

re: I liked the before. I agree, the before wasn't bad. But there was dangerous, non-grounded electrical, and the cabs were in very rough, jury-rigged, water damaged, unsalvageable shape. You don't see that in the pics. There was truly not enough storage, given the original cabs were sacrificed to make way for a d/w and microwave shelf.

re: do the long bar pulls snag?
    In the past 10 years of having those pulls, I'd say I've snagged clothing/vacuum on them maybe 5 times. Now, keep in mind this: they were installed vertically, not horizontally, which likely reduces the chances for snagging.

re: using ikea cabs
    I like ikea :-) Their software is easy-to-use, and I liked being able to mess around with the layout after work (as opposed to relying on a kitchen designer).

re: did I oil or seal countertop? I sealed it with varnish, on both sides. It took me over a month to do all the sealing (2 counters X 12 layers of varnish (8 on one side, 4 on the other) X 1 day per layer). Not sure I'd want to do this again. Maybe I'd put fewer layers on...

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

It looks fantastic! Congratulations : )

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

It's beautiful! I love the backsplash!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Wow. That's beautiful! A hudee ring, too!

Your backsplash and floor are gorgeous, I love the B/S with the wood counters, too.

How do you like your metal drawers so far?

Really, really excellent job.

Got yer pearls on yet Mrs. Cleaver?

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Everything is fantastic, but the floor and the BS make my heart sing! So much storage, too.

Beautiful! Congrats!

• BalTra
    11 years ago

pawa,

I've been waiting to see your final pics -- wonderful!

CONGRATULATIONS, surely many memorable meals will be made there.

Enjoy!

• springroz
    11 years ago

Cutest kitchen EVER! I love it , Pawa! Everything!

Going to look at pics, yet again!

Nancy

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

Pawa, your kitchen is wonderful! I love retro and you were very faithful to your inspiration pic. My favorites are the cabs (all those fantastic drawers), beautiful BS, valence, and faucet--well everything!!! I have to say that the picture with all the drawers open just blew me away; it must be heavenly to have all that storage! Would you please take a closer pic of your pantry? I'm thinking those drawers might be the best way to make the most of my pantry. TIA!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Where did the dishwasher go?

• KBSpider
    11 years ago

Beautiful job - love the BS! Lazygardens, I think the dishwasher is to the right of the sink - looks like a big enough "door" to be hiding it...

• rosie
    11 years ago

I also like your kitchen a whole lot, Pawa. What an excellent place to work, plus it looks so good (I want your floor). Actually, I have Ikea cabs also, a happy LITTLE investment that pays great returns day after day. Hope lots of people looking for inspiration find your pictures. Happy cooking!

• pawa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi flowers!
    Here is a closer look at my pantry:

Lazygardens: yes, KBSpider is right. It's to the right of the sink.

Thank-you so much, again, for your kind words. It was a little scary putting it all together. I feel like some of my choices were unconventional (at least by my standards), and it's nice to get a pat on the back from the discerning gardenweb crowd ;-)

• gardenpea_gw
    11 years ago

re: do the long bar pulls snag?
    Before our redo, we had pulls similar to those placed horizontally on the drawers, and I hated them. I ruined many a blouse or pants by catching the end of it in a pocket or button placket. DH had the same problem. I ruled out any pulls that halfway looked like they might snag clothing this time around. I know they're really popular, but I stayed away for that reason.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Pawa, I've been looking forward to your reveal and it didn't disappoint! Rarely do I like a 'before' and still like the 'after'...but in your case, you kept the original charm, upped it (with that amazing tile) and added awesome functionality! I bet you're loving it. Thanks for sharing. :)

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Sleek and cool, but cheery and fun, too! Love the floor and the sunflower backsplash, and I think I envy the easy clean of the base cabs.

Is there a story behind the knob on the upper to the right of the window that looks different than those to the left?

I also got rid of some odds and ends of glasses and mugs when we moved into our house and filled the new kitchen... But somehow we have odd ones mixed in again!

Enjoy!

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

Wonderful! You did a fantastic job! The backsplash and windows really pull it all together.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Oh my! You're kitchen is darling, cheerful, charming, pleasant, and FUNCTIONAL! Congratulations on a accomplishing all of your goals with your design. You must be pleased as punch! I hope you have an orange and white apron like the one in the inspiraiton pic, that would be the cherry on top!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

pawa, your backsplash is so gorgeous! your kitchen is so charming. congrats!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I was wondering what you would do to your Before, since it was really a nice kitchen, too!

I love it.

Where are you going to start getting your hair done? Have you picked out your lipstick & heels? Period is period, so you must dress the part! Particularly when you have a party. Have you hung your inspiration pic in the kitchen so you can admire your improved version?

• eustacem
    11 years ago

Ok, I have to ask...it looks like you stayed with your original sink (which is almost exactly like mine) but your before pics do NOT have a hudee ring. When we did our addition I was adamant that the old sink was going to move into the new kitchen, and we were not able to salvage our hudee ring so we ended up just dropping the sink into the new counter and caulking the heck out of it. I would have liked to keep the ring, for nostalgia's sake, but I am perfectly happy without it as well. So my question is, if you didn't have a ring originally, where did you get yours? Just curious. BTW, your kitchen looks beautiful. :)

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

Love it! Thought the before was pretty cute, too. But after is awesome.

• pawa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

eustacem - thanks!
    The sink is new! The old one was acrylic. It was stained and gross, so I bought a new Kohler. That design has been in production since the 40's or 50's.

rhome: the story behind the differing cab knobs is that I couldn't decide! So I have two types: a dish knob star backplate, and some glass orb knobs :-)

• logan_g_dyer
    5 years ago

Gorgeous! Do you have any advice for installing a hudee sink in a wood countertop? We have a great seafoam grean bathroom sink we're trying to keep and we are not sure the best countertop to place it in.

• desertsteph
    5 years ago

so many years later now, and I still love this little kitchen! It's great and has great storage. I'd love having it myself!

• Robin Luther
    2 years ago

MARVELOUS! We're finally executing our kitchen reno - has been multiple years in the making - inspired by a (1956) vintage stove and a 1940's faucet still in production today. Every effort is being made to recreate the homey feel of my grandparent's kitchens and the kitchen we had growing up. What an amazing job you've done with your kitchen.

• theresa21
    2 years ago

I love so much about your kitchen. And I really love that you kept some of the unique character of the original kitchen. What a wonderful happy retro-vibe space!