Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granite countertops from BuildDirect

Posted by cholette (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 1:13

I am really interested in quartz countertops, but I stumbled on the BuildDirect website. They have some pretty low prices on granite slabs. Does anyone have any experience buying anything from them? We went to HomeDepot and had sticker shock on the countertop prices. Any info would be appreciated. Also, is it very tough to cut the slab, for say a sink? Can my builder handle these? Many thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granite countertops from BuildDirect

I bought the floors for my house from Build Direct. I ordered samples which they sent FedEx, tested the heck out of them, and compared to other bamboo flooring. I think Lumber Liquidators had a lower price, but their bamboo floors did not pass my chemical test (sample in closed zip-lock bag overnight, open, and sniff - whew, I almost passed out from the fumes - no fumes with the BD bamboo Yanchi).

The service was outstanding, the prices really good; they kept good communication, very patient and helpful with my 1001 questions before I ordered, shipping was a little early, and the delivery guy delivered to the garage instead of the curb. I did the entire house except bathrooms, so was a little skittish about ordering so much sight unseen, but I will both order from and highly recommend them.

o

I can't imagine your builder has the equipment to handle and cut a granite slab. In granite yards, the slabs are generally moved using something along the lines of a crane. Even a finished piece ready to install requires special equipment:

The tricky bit

Build Direct is offering ready-to-use slabs, which makes the moving a little easier, but not easy. Their slabs are also offered in a series of given sizes. There is no modification for the walls in your kitchen which are probably not as straight and square as the slabs. If you look for threads on problems with counter tops not fitting snugly up to the wall, you'll see why this is important. This particular piece is a peninsula and there is no backsplash to hide an iffy cut along the wall:

Tight fit on to the wall

Say, for arguments sake, that your space matches one of their sizes nicely and your walls are straight and square, that just leaves the sink cut out. This is 3 cm granite. It needs a super heavy duty saw and a steady hand. For an undermount sink, you are going to see the edges of the cut, so they need to be really straight. The corners need to be just so.

New sink!

You are not going to cut this inside your kitchen as the granite dust will get everywhere and seriously muck up all your drawer slides. That means the piece needs to be moved after the cut is made. If you look at the first photo, you'll see that the piece has a splint sort of deal across the front of the sink cut-out. Without something of that nature, your piece is likely to break in transit, even if the transit is short.

I'm not saying this can't be done, just that you need to be really cautious and have realistic expectations of how this will turn out. It looks to me like Builder Direct is targeting builders who are doing spec houses as economically as possible and who are willing to acquire the equipment necessary to make this work out more or less right. I would not expect most builders to take this on.

Personally, if the cost of granite is more than the budget can comfortably cover, I'd go with laminate. We had white laminate counter tops for 40 years and they were more than satisfactory; at the end they were still nice and white, scratch free, and had only a couple of small nicks. Considering that we use our counters not just for cooking, but for all sorts of craft and sewing projects, this is particularly impressive. I even clamped a wood carving project to it and carved away with no ill results. Laminate is also very builder friendly. I find its biggest drawback not being able to do an undermount sink, which is sad, but not fatal.

o

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for this post and interest in BuildDirect, we really appreciate it. If you should have any questions on any of your projects, please do not hesitate to call us directly. @Cholette, you can contact our Customer Service Manager of that Department, Craig at 1-877-631-2845. @ae2ga, we are excited for your successful installation and pleased to hear your feedback. Thanks again everyone!

o

What kind of granite is this company offering at such low prices? I'd guess it's the (cheap) stuff from China.... Granite is usually categorized and priced depending on how exotic the stone is. If you know what slab you're looking for then you can easily ask different companies to quote the exact color you like. You'd be surprised how different the quotes can range from...

I got over 8 quotes before choosing a company. I recommend getting at least 3-4 quotes before deciding..

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: My three month granite journey

o

Hello Mrs. Shayne,

Thanks for your question. We are able to offer such low rates because you are buying them at manufacturer-direct prices. We offer a wide range of granite that varies in price and quality. It does not all come from China, we have suppliers in America, Europe and Asia. It varies depending on the product that you would like, and the price you would like to pay. Check out our website for our selection of granite. If you would like any further information, do not hesitate to contact us at 1-877-631-2845 and we'd be pleased to help you. Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: BuildDirect Granite Tile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here