o
Recycling Granite

Posted by Trebruchet (loosedeckcannon@gmail.com) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 1:02

This post is about how you go from this:

photo IMG_1428_zps55ef7204.jpg

To this:

photo IMG_1441_zpsa592edc8.jpg

Notice the edge profile changes? The guys my customer originally hired said it wouldn't be a problem to reprofile the edges in the house after the tops were installed. Fortunately, they used brown silicone to make their "seams" so removing the top sections wasn't much of a problem:

photo IMG_1423_zpsa0939ca5.jpg

After:

photo IMG_1438_zps1112f13f.jpg

Close up of the repair:

photo IMG_1439_zpse0c8ae87.jpg

More silicone seams:

photo IMG_1424_zps72c4340d.jpg

After:

photo IMG_1440_zpsdc4c3897.jpg

"L" before edge reprofiling:

photo IMG_1417_zps8d8229ee.jpg

After:

photo IMG_1448_zps6f811feb.jpg

Sink wall end before:

photo IMG_1422_zps1d9341f4.jpg

This is the sink wall after. Yeah, it's not the best base color match I've ever gotten, but this job is on a budget and I'm taking a hit. Maybe I'll fool with it when I bring back the splash, maybe not. They put their coffee pot here anyway:

photo IMG_1437_zps028048d6.jpg

I've spoken about cabinets being "out of plane". This isn't the best example, but cabinets have to be in the same line:

photo IMG_1435_zps35bc634a.jpg

It's impossible for them to be in plane if they're installed like this:

photo IMG_1436_zps4bd8acb5.jpg

I've never been able to get granite to bend enough to accommodate a 1/2"" over 4'. This peninsula had to be pulled and cut down so the end would drop enough to allow flush seam installation. What a PIA. This kind of crap is what eats the time on these do-overs:

photo IMG_1433_zpsc47e18e6.jpg

I know some aren't going to believe me, but I reprofiled 13 linear feet of bullnose edges freehand with a Metabo grinder, a 70 grit diamond on an aluminum pad followed with the Viper 3-step:

photo IMG_1431_zpsd944fcf6.jpg

Here's the right of the stove before:

photo IMG_1429_zps8f058bee.jpg

Not the best after shot, but notice in the above picture how severely the overhang is off. You can tell by looking at the drawer profile.

photo IMG_1446_zpsb915749f.jpg

I had to super glue a filler on the end and recut the stove side to make the overhang even. Yes, I know the filler seam sucks. We're on a budget here. It's an obscure corner; you'll never really know especially when the splash is installed.

The bullnose stops:

photo IMG_1426_zpsee6428d9.jpg

photo IMG_1427_zpsd5d0b258.jpg

After:

photo IMG_1443_zps1820df53.jpg

photo IMG_1447_zps3147ebd0.jpg

Metabo and pads freehand, I swear.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recycling Granite

I have to ask, are they even saving anything at all by going with this granite instead of getting new pieces?

The way the cabinets are installed is just... scary.

o

Is that floor tiles installed on the end of the peninsula cabinets? Never saw that before...

o

Great job Tre. It's so sad & scary to see how bad jobs are done. You are the hero here!

o

"I have to ask, are they even saving anything at all by going with this granite instead of getting new pieces?"

schicksal:

That is an excellent question. This was a cabinet and granite recycle. The cabinets have those beefy euro cup hinges and the sinks are those fancy French jobs, so there is some quality stuff here.

I have to do a cost/benefit analysis on jobs like this. There is a window between $0.00 and replacement that I have to jump through to make money. I'm about 22 hours into this, drive time included, but even at the insanely low prices of installed granite these days, this couple would never have gotten the cabinet and drain line fixed and the quality sinks and cabinets they had without recycling.

I've walked away from jobs that I couldn't fix cost effectively. Told the folks to use the money they would have paid me as a down payment on new tops.

This lady was nearly-wet-her-pants happy when I packed up at 9 p.m., so she thought I was a great value and hers is the only opinion that matters.

o

"Is that floor tiles installed on the end of the peninsula cabinets? Never saw that before…"

dcward:

Excellent eye. You nailed it.

Not my work.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 9:05

o

"It's so sad & scary to see how bad jobs are done."

bycyclegirl:

It is, and would you believe these guys had the guts to call this woman and ask for more work after being paid for this and leaving it this way?

o

The afters look great. Was the original crew kicked out part way through? What was up with the edge changes, etc? I don't get the original story.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here