Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annsch

ALMOST, All White Finished Kitchen Reveal!!!

Ann Scheley
11 years ago

Hi all GWers! By almost all white I mean there is a little gray in there. I want to thank GardenWeb for all the input I've recieved over the last several months. I spent many an hour hashing out decisions here with some awesome feedback! And when I wasn't getting feedback I was gathering many ideas from your beautiful kitchens and expertise.

Everything is done except a small walnut top (finished on Wed.) and painting of trim. BUT I COULDN'T WAIT!

STATS:

Countertops: Island is Caesarstone Blizzard and Perimeter is Caesarstone Pebble

Cabinets: Precision Cabinets (Brentwood, CA)

Backsplash and above cabinets: Heath Ceramics, Antique White 2x4 in herringbone pattern

Stove: Thermador PRO-HARMONY Gas Range 48"

Refrigerator: Kenmore Elite

Sink: Blanco Cerrano 30"

Faucet: Brizo Baliza

Knobs: Belwith (?) oval

Handles: Alno Charlie Pull

Pendants: Jamie Young St. Charles Pendants Mercury Glass

Windows/Transom/French Doors: Marvin

Floors: New growth fir/sanding and staining of old growth fir floors in fam room

BEFORE:

THE OLD FAMILY ROOM:

THE NEW KITCHEN AND FAMILY ROOM:

{{gwi:1929330}}

{{gwi:1929332}}

{{gwi:1929333}}

{{gwi:1929334}}

{{gwi:1929335}}

{{gwi:1929336}}

{{gwi:1929332}}

We tore down a wall separating fam rm and kitchen; this is the new space:

{{gwi:1929338}}

And this is where we have our computer (not sure what to do with all those cords):

TV will go here tomorrow!:

Thank you for letting me share! I am sooooo happy with everything. My favorite part is all the sunlight that comes in through the french doors and windows on that one wall. I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have!

Comments (80)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Stunning! I want to see on my computer and not just my phone!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous. I love how you opened it up. It seems like a new house, and I really love how you have a view into the backyard too. I agree that it looks perfect for entertaining.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Holy cow, Batman!!!! That is one truly awesome transformation!! I know you have to be loving your new space and your neighbors must be sooooo jealous ;-)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Wow.
    It's so different!
    You did a beautiful job.
    C.

• Minker
    11 years ago

What a great job you did! I love the light that floods the room. Your choices are great. It all works together very well. Nicely done!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all of you!! I am loving my new kitchen/fam rm! It's true that I never want to leave this space. I am finding it so much better functioning and am even enjoying cleaning (now that's a miracle)! :)

I wanted to include a better pic of the gothic cabinets:

{{gwi:1929344}}

• nini804
    11 years ago

Oh how lovely! Your backsplash is gorgeous...I love the herringbone used for the entire splash....I haven't seen that before and it is fab!

• eleena
    11 years ago

OMG, totally magazine-worthy!

I am going to "borrow" some ideas from you (and give the credit, if I ever - finally - remodel my kitchen, LOL).

A couple of technical questions, if I may.

1. What are the vertical distances from the cooking surface to the end and the top of the curved alcove opening? I mean, to the lowest and the highest points of the alcove curve, IDK if I am explaining this right, sorry.

2. What is your vent hood?

TIA!!!

• mjocean
    11 years ago

Beautifil space, you should be very pleased. I love your gothic doors and I especially like your pendants. What do the pendants look like when the lights are turned on? Can you see the bulbs through the mercury glass? Does the mercury glass change color?

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

eleena--let's see...1. The measurement from top of arch to the top of hood (beginning of trim) is 20 1/2". Is that what you mean? 2. Vent-a-hood.

mjocean--I will take a pic of lights tonight when they are on and post it. Basically the mercury glass is opaque so you cannot see the bulbs and no, the glass does not change color.

• mjocean
    11 years ago

Hi,

Please also tell us more about your counter stools - where did they come from, material?

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi mjocean--they came from Cost Plus World Market, they are called the Elana Banana Leaf Counter Stool.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Finally get to see on a computer - the iphone just doesn't do it justice!!!
    Beautiful!!
    Love your backsplash and just about everything in your kitchen
    We do have one item in common - I have the same fruit basket - I had it in my old kitchen and so far keeping it for the new.

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2---that's funny about the fruit basket. I find it very handy. Sometimes it has fruit in it, other times it has bread in it.

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful- the range hood is incredible. You must be so happy with the results of all your hard work.

Do you mind sharing the paint color on your walls? I've been hunting high and low for a neutral that works in our lighting and yours might work.

Enjoy your gorgeous space!!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

secondhalf--Sure, it's Benjamin Moore Nimbus.

• eleena
    11 years ago

Thank you!

I am sorry I was not clear. I was asking about the distance from the countertop to:

1. the highest point of the arch of your alcove opening
    and
    2. the lowest point where the arch meets the little "column" on the side.

I am assuming that your countertops are 36" in height?

It looks like you have a 60" wide range, right?

That would help me figure out if I can do something similar.

Thanks again!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi eleena--the countertops are 36 1/4".
    Measurements:
    1. The arch peaks at 35" above the range.
    2. Caesarstone wrapped column meets plaster at 8" above the countertop.
    Our range is 48" wide--Does that help?

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mjocean--here are the pictures of the pendants at night with the lights on.(sorry blurry and odd light, but I didn't want to use flash so that you could see how much light they cast)

The first picture is with no other lights on and you can see that they give off quite a bit of light. The whole island is lit up. They are on a dimmer, but that pic is with them on the highest setting. The second is with other lights on. And the third is just a close up because I wanted you to see that you cannot see the bulb inside but do get a lot of reflection on the outside of lamp.

• mjocean
    11 years ago

Annsch,

Those pendants are mighty pretty! I hope you don't mind these will be on my short list as I love them. Thank you for taking the time and effort to photograph and post them for us.

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mjocean--your welcome. hope you enjoy them as much as I am enjoying mine.

• simone416
    11 years ago

hi annsch!
    love your kitchen. i have gone with all white cabinets and high gloss doors. I am debating going with caesarstone but am worried about the possibility of chipping. How has your experience been so far?
    Also, I liked the cement #3040 but that has been discontinued. The concrete is too dark for me, and I'm not sure how I feel about the pebble - could you please post a close up picture of the pebble?
    Thanks so much!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

simone416--well....the very first day the c.tops were installed my architect dropped the soap dispenser from about 12inches off the c.top and chipped our Blizzard, a little mark the size of a tip of a pen. The fabricators came out three days later and fixed it for free. Nothing since then, it's been almost 4 weeks since day of install.

Here is the pebble close-up:
    {{gwi:1929348}}

{{gwi:1929349}}

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Wow, this is stunning! Love the range area!

• simone416
    11 years ago

thanks so much - i really like the pebble! happy to hear you have not had any problems so far, other than the contractor dropping something!
    i going to a warehouse tomorrow that carries lots of man made stones - i really need to make a decision because move in day is fast approaching.
    GW forums has now alerted me to something called white macabus quartzite which i think is really beautiful. i don't really want all white (although i love blizzard), and can't decide on gray... so maybe it will be a good compromise.
    thanks again for the up close pics. your kitchen is so sleek and wow i would love to cook in it! what a delight!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

simone416---thank you, and good luck in your search!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

annsch.
    Radiant! Beautiful! Excellent.

Enjoy every minute in your beautiful space!
    Thanks for sharing, and for including all the details.�

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Gorgeous- such a calming effect of the creamy colors. I love it.
    I love the cabinets
    I love the herringbone tile
    I love the detail on the glass front cabinets
    and I love the pendant lights- I have them in my pinterest file for lighting

ENJOY!

• Laura_PA
    11 years ago

wow, what a stunning transformation. I love it all - looks like it's right out of a magazine! Enjoy!

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all, thanks for all of your compliments on the kitchen. I can't even describe how much I am enjoying it. I spend all my time in this new space, the problem is the rest of my house is going down the tubes. I still have so much cleaning up and disposing of unwanted things from the remodel. It all seems so overwhelming...Does anyone else have this problem???

• cam349
    11 years ago

I still have 2 bedrooms full of stuff from last years reno and we're in the midst of an addition to the kitchen and new master bedroom above. This year I have a plan though. After it's all done and the paint is dry my reno fairy will be organizing, cleaning and getting the house ready for Christmas.

If you still need to tidy the computer cords here's what someone told me: take your paint chip for the room to the fabric store and get some matching fabric. Sew this into a 'tube' that can be slipped over the cords. They should just fade into the wall. This works well for when you mount a TV on a wall too.

Enjoy our space - I'm really hoping my new kitchen will make me enjoy cleaning too (and so is my husband)!

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Tell me about it. Kids are in school and I'm hoping to soon have time to do something about the rest of the house. Can't. Find. A. Thing. So annoying, I hope I'm organized before 2013 ;-)

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LUCKY!!! My eight year old is in school but my two oldest haven't started college yet! Their schools start on September 24th...what's up with that???

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Dear Annsch -

Not to depress you, but it has taken us much of the past year
    to get our house back in order after our big kitchen and bath reno in summer 2011.
    Like you, I just wanted to enjoy the new kitchen for the first three or four months
    after it was done. Nothing wrong with that! Enjoy!
    I still spend most of my time at home in the new kitchen;
    but in the past few months I've started turning my eye to other rooms.
    Oh no ... the paint and fabric samples are coming out again!

• ellenoo
    11 years ago

Beautiful!! Could you tell me the thickness of your countertops & the edge you used? Just perfect. Thank you!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love the cabinets, the counters, the unique and beautiful herringbone backsplash, the lighting, and just the overall beautiful peaceful look. Thank you for sharing.

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sure! Both the island and perimeter countertop edges are 1 13/16" thick. They are called an "eased" edge. Just didn't want super sharp corners. It does the trick and not any added cost for fabrication. Thanks for looking!:)

• mommy2nk
    11 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen, I am getting ready to start figureing out my own white kitchen. You may have said it already but I didn't see it, can you tell me more about the pendant lights? Where are they from? Thanks so much!
    Love the Range hood too!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Wow, that shot of the range hood with the vase on the counter is just stunning! I love it all. It's hard to believe it's all the same space.

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

annsch,
    just gorgeous. love it. love the glow at night too - so warm and pretty.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

annsch, picture perfect in every way! mind if i ask you what paint colors you used for cabinets and walls?

• taggie
    11 years ago

Very pretty kitchen. I love the counters, especially the pebble -- it looks fantastic. You must be so happy. Congrats!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

What a transformation. Beautiful job, this is what reno is all about! Light and bright. Gorgeous. Love all the white and the flowers ...perfect.

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just getting back to my computer after going on my first Cub Scout Camping trip. Oh my...great fun!

michoumonster--My cabinets are BM Timid White and the walls are BM Nimbus.

taggie---yesssss, I am very happy, thanks.

gr8day---yes, it is already difficult to remember my old kitchen as the whole space has changed dramatically!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

annsch, hope I can still post to this thread. was wondering if you could tell me how big your corbels are on your range hood?

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It worked! I will measure and get back to you. Heighth, width and depth at widest part right?

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Too funny, I just looked up your beautiful transom window yesterday and was wondering if I had somehow bumped the post.

How is the new kitchen working out... any pictures of your kitchen at work?

Best, oldbat2be

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi OB2B!
    We are thoroughly enjoying the kitchen. I was just thinking, yesterday, that a year ago we were starting the kitchen remodel. Time flies! I will have to do some digging for KIA pictures. But in the meantime...I am including a link to some pictures that I just received from my architect TODAY. They were taken by his photographer about a month ago to be used for his professional profile on HOUZZ. Look for Burlingame kitchen.

Thanks for your interest!!!! I have missed GW. Life is busy. I started school for a certificate in Interior Design. All stemming from my remodel and my time spent here on GW!

Here is a link that might be useful: HOUZZ pictures of my kitchen

• Ann Scheley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michoumonster---
    Dimensions for corbels:
    4 1/2"w x 12"h x 12"d

Hope that helps....

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

annsch, thanks so much! that really helps. your corbels seem like the perfect size.
    good luck with your interior design pursuits. i am looking forward to seeing pictures of your new projects!