Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help replacing sub zero with another brand

Posted by lgordon424 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 0:42

My R211 subzero is 29 years old and I noticed a leak in the freezer when I saw a sheet of ice on the floor below the pull out shelf. When the repair person came, he said it couldn't be fixed: 1) the drain was probably clogged and there was no room in the kitchen to pull out the refrigerator to get to it and 2) the screws in the unit that the fan is housed in are all corroded and if they opened it, they couldn't close it. Since the compressor was fine and there wasn't an issue with freon, he suggested I put a container on the top shelf to collect the drippings so iI wouldn't get a frozen sheet of ice building up. Now I'm looking to replace it with another brand as a new one goes for $8000 and a floor model, if i can find one with a right hinge goes for $4950. Any suggestions that will fit in the 30" space?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help replacing sub zero with another brand

You can check on the Appliances Forum to see if they have any recommendations. However, I suggest you first do some research to see what refrigerators will fit in your space. Your space is rather small by today's standards. Most "main stream" refrigerators are around 36" wide x 72" tall.

I recommend you do some research prior to posting b/c, in general, people respond more favorably if they think you've at least tried b/f asking - it will show that you're not asking someone else to do your research/homework for you. Remember, we're all volunteers on these forums.

Some manufacturers to look into:

Liebherr
GE Monogram
GE Profile
Kenmore
LG
Samsung
GE
Whirlpool
Kitchen Aid
Jenn Air

o

It depends on the height of your unit/opening. There are 30" wide built-ins and integrated refrigerators/freezer combos from Liebherr (80 to 84" with gap filler) and Miele/Thermador/Bosch (84"). As you can see, all European brands as they tend to make smaller appliances, but also priced below the Sub Zero. Liebherr also makes a CD.

o

JA makes a CD

o

If there isn't room in the kitchen to remove this, how do you expect to replace it? Remove all of the cabinets first?

o

I adore my 30" Liebherr, can warmly recommend it.

o

hollysprings, that's exactly what I was wondering.

o

Another 30" Liebherr owner and lover here.

a...and yes, if you can't get the old one out??

o

There's a 30" right-hinged SZ511 on ebay right now going for around 2K.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here