Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tartanhabit_gw

nearly there modern galley kitchen - pictures!

tartanhabit
15 years ago

Well, we still need to paint, fix a few cosmetic things up etc but we are almost functional.

Cabinets - Brookhaven

Fridge, DW, Range - Jenn Air

Sink - Elkay

Faucet - KWC

Countertops - Caesarstone, Concrete color

Backsplash, AKDO glass tile, sky

Hood - Bosch

Microwave drawer - Sharp

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (39)

• tartanhabit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

are (ah-hem) 'temporary' ....

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Very nice! I like the non-traditional subway tiles (both layout & glass) -- fits very well in your non-traditional kitchen!

• modesignfan
    15 years ago

Beautiful colors for cabinets, counters, backsplash and tile. Each material represents a natural, simple selection; wood, glass, concrete, black floor tile (granite?) and stainless steel. Great choices that make this galley kitchen really lovely, modern and still warm. What color or treatment do you plan on the end wall?

• jessie21
    15 years ago

very sleek, very clean lines, VERY pretty!

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Backsplash color is so fresh and clean. Really complements that clean-lined modern style. What is your floor?

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

I love it, but that may be because that is our cabinet color choice, too, and we currently have a Caesarstone concrete color sample we're considering, and the wall color in our LR/DR is about the same as your backsplash tile. This is swell, almost like a preview of what our finish choices will look like! How are you liking your KWC faucet? That's on our list, too! And I join the others in asking, what was your floor choice?

• janran
    15 years ago

Nice job! What color are you painting?

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

It looks great! Love the colors, range looks gorgeous.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Great job! Nice clean lines and nice and light, too!

• edlakin
    15 years ago

very nice. can't wait to see some color on those walls to tie it all together.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Looks wonderful, love your cabinet color and you counter looks really cool.

What kind of glass did you use?

• fran1523
    15 years ago

Handsome looking kitchen. Nicely done.

• amanda_t
    15 years ago

Oh! I love your counters! Love love love them. What color are you going to paint the walls? And also, this may sound crazy, but those orange silicone mitt thingies on your range handle? I think that orange is the perfect accent color in your kitchen. One or two more bits of orange sprinkled about and this is one of the prettiest kitchens I've seen here in a while. That range photo, with gray, green and orange... sigh... love that color scheme. Oh, and I LOVE your counters... heh.... :)

• tartanhabit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I'll try to address the questions ... wall color - HELP!!! We don't know what to pick yet. Any advice appreciated.

FLOOR: is Amtico vinyl tiles ('Lunar Lead'). Who knew we would end up with vinyl tile. We originally had a porcelain fllor tile picked out and purchased from Walker Zanger (a lot of tile!) but when the countertop went in and I put some tiles down on the floor, it just didn't all look right together. Fortunately, the tile store was gracious enough to take it back and we picked something completely different. I'm very happy with our choice.

vicnsb: not sure whether you were asking about the glass in the cabinet or backsplash? The glass in the cabinet was one of the choices Brookhaven offers. It's a sort of pinhead pattern. The glass backsplash is AKDO beach glass 3" x 6" in SKY colour.

Amanda t: silicone mitts. Yep, that's what they are. They are from Sur La Table but I've been seeing silicone kitchen accessories everywhere these days.

KWC faucet - is working out great. The model is 'edge'. I spent a billion hours looking for a faucet I liked.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I absolutely love it. The cool color of the tiles on the BS works so well with the cabinets and the gray counters. It feels so sleek and clean but not sterile! Wonderful.

• tartanhabit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks igloo. I knew I wanted a greenish tile and looked at pretty much every sample of green glass tile I could find till I found this one with just enough gray in it to pull it together. Sleek and clean was what we were aiming for.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Wow...what I love about modern kitchens is how the stremlined range hoods with the cool glass backsplashes. I really like your glass cabinets - is it a regular frost or some other type of glass treatment?

Everything looks clean, crisp and sharp. Great job!

• revans1
    15 years ago

Love the modern look.....congrats!

• outonalimb_2007
    15 years ago

Love it -- mine will be modern too (Ikea Tidaholm with a few green glass doors w/ aluminum frames).

Re paint color: I'd bet money that Ellen Kennon (no, I am not a disciple) would have a color that would go well. Might be worth your $30 for a complete set of chips. I bought the chips but they didn't have a blue I liked (for my bedroom), but I think alot of their colors would work in your space; I will probably use one in our main living space (incl kitchen). Website is: ellenkennon.com

Looking through my chips, I think the following might work for you, depending: Classic Marc, Buttercream, Barry's Babylon, Silt, Putty, H2Ahh! I am not a pro, so take with a big grain of salt.

Good luck -- Beautiful kitchen (mine will be modern too, love the look).

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Love those galley kitchens!

Beautiful, sleek, modern - simple colors and lines. Very nice choices!

(I'm jealous of how big your galley kitchen is.)

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous kitchen! Love the sleek, modern, zen look. Great choices. Nice to see the "other" Bosch hood I almost bought (went with the glass one). Really, really pretty kitchen!

• lacuisine
    15 years ago

Nice. Your color scheme is very similar to ours. And we haven't done plumbing yet, but I bought the KWC Edge as well! Do you have the pullout spray? It was hard for us to find something low enough (we have cabs going straight across).
    Enjoy!
    LC

• tartanhabit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

outonalimb, thank you for the recommendations. I will certainly take a look. Thanks for looking for me.

mustbnuts, we DID have the other bosch hood too (glass finish) but oops realized that since we wanted to stop the tile at the hood it would not work out for us since that other hood does not go straight across horizontally (the lights dip low) ... all in the learning process. The appliance store switched it out for us thankfully. Naive error, but it's a beautiful hood.

lacuisine, yes we do have the pull out spray. I love it. Since your colour scheme is similar you said, what colour walls will you have?

Redroze, the glass cabinets came with the glass installed from Brookhaven cabinet manufacturers. It's a kind of a pinhead dotted pattern that gives a cloudy/frosted look but still retains some transparency but blurs the edges. We're too messy and our stuff is not display worthy to have clear.

charlikin: yes, the kitchen feels like a reasonably sized galley now - we have about 4 feet or so between the cabinets. We had to move a wall just to get that!

• nalcar
    15 years ago

I think that a graygreen color to link your elements could be applied to the back wall of the room something like this, leaving the rest white. With some focal point wall arrangement, this would really complete your beautiful "zenlike" kitchen, IMHO.{{!gwi}}

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

Oooo, Nalcar, fantastic rendering! Can you be hired? No kidding!

• User
    15 years ago

Wonderful cool space. I love nalcar's rendering. You have lovely bones to work with now ! c

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

wall color: pick fabrics or accessories first, THEN paint.

Beautiful, and I do love a galley kichen.

• rgillman
    15 years ago

I love it! It is clean and elegant - and would have been one of my inspiration kitchens if I had seen it before I did mine.

I was going to get a backsplash like yours - it is just what I had in mind. But at the last minute, decided to go for something completely different.

Otherwise, it reminds me of mine - in feeling if not in details. I have the Elkay sink and a KWC faucet - which I love. It was between the Edge and the one I bought - the Konos.

Looking forward to see what you do with the color on the walls. The kitchen is super!

• tartanhabit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow nalcar! I thought I posted a thank you last night but that seems to have disappeared. THANK YOU! Interesting idea to do one strong color on the wall like that. We were thinking of putting one of those magnetic spice boards on that wall which might look interesting.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I spent so long on this board in the process and researching. To hear someone say (raynag) it could be an inspiration kitchen is the highest praise!

• modesignfan
    15 years ago

Amazing rendering, Nalcar. What a stunning look. Now this cool kitchen is magazine-like. Just add accessories! Please help me out next?

• nalcar
    15 years ago

petlady & modesign - Always glad to try to draw up what you need, if I can. Just have a pic in your post and describe what you'd like to see. I'm not a kitchen expert, as many of the members are, but I'd be glad to help out, as others have helped me in this forum.

• lacuisine
    15 years ago

Tartan-
    i actually think the white walls look brilliant! But we are from paris, where there is nothing more beautfiul than a 19th century apartment with white walls! We have carmelized bamboo cabinets, and we are waiting for our quartz (silestone Unsui) which is a similar color to your countertops. We are thinking of doing a backpained glass backsplash a couple of shades lighter than the countertop. (light gray). But i might do a zen green color instead (like yours). I think you have enough color , but that's just my taste. We havent decided on paint color for OUR walls, we are waiting until we get further.
    BTW i love that your cabs don't go all the way up to the ceiling. I wanted to do that, but everyone screamed, "Dust! Grease!" at me until i finally caved.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Your kitchen looks fabulous! Modern, yet very soothing. I love the way the tile backsplash was laid. That's the same pattern I'm planning in my kids' bathroom. Terrific job. I'm sure you're psyched!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I love love LOVE your backsplash tiles. What am I saying? I love the whole space! Seriously, how good do you feel working in there now? I feel good just looking at it, and I'd imagine with the sunshine, those serene finishes and the efficient design you just go "aaaah."

• lacuisine
    15 years ago

Nalcar-
    i am looking for that exact "gray-green" color for my backpainted glass backsplash. Any paint swatches to recommend?
    thanks
    LC

• nalcar
    15 years ago

lacuisine; it really depends upon your lighting and glass tint ( amount of green) to pick such a sensitive color. I only pick from the old BM Classics deck since my local dealer produces good mixes. I'd try these and look at the swatches under your light, from behind the glass:

1) garden oasis #699 (greener)
    2) sioux falls #705 (bluer)
    3) rushing river #1574 (grayer)

Good luck! It may take several tries!

• lacuisine
    15 years ago

Thanks, Nalcar! The early 1570's look like a good bet, i'll check what they look like with my countertop (Silestone Unsui - similar to Tartan's). I just saw that i can upload a photo to the BM site and try out different shades - a good start.
    thanks!
    LC

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

I think your kitchen is so wonderful and fresh looking. The green tile is stunning and I love the dark floor. And that entry door is fabulous. I know you have been on this forum for a long time so it is so especially nice to see how it came out.

Enjoy it and congrats!

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

It's a wonderful space. So sleek. Thanks for sharing it! I love the light cabs, frosted glass, and cool hood, but my favorite element is the glass tile. It really caught my eye.