Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammermom

Choosing counter edges

HammerMom
10 years ago

I'm stuck in the decision making of which edge to go with for our counter tops. When we were looking at the slabs of marble I was interested in, my husband and I both found a gray granite that caught our eye and so I agreed to go with the granite instead. We then saw it in the showroom with a reverse demi profile edge and we agreed that was perfect. Now that our kitchen has been templated, for a few reasons, that profile edge isn't going to work. My back up was going with a simple eased edge because that will match our butcher block island top. But in looking at the sample of the granite we have at home, I'm particularly drawn to the chipped edge (the sparkle in the granite is more dominant in this style of edge and I have to admit, I really like the rustic/raw look of this style) and so now I'm stuck between the two. What opinions do any of you have about mixing edges in the kitchen or even of the chiseled edge look? Are there any drawbacks to the chiseled edge? Would itI be better, more consistent, to have the butcher block edge match the granite edge? I imagine a photo of the kitchen currently might help for better feedback - I'll see what I can do tomorrow since the lighting is not good at night. (Think white shaker cabinets, steel pulls, farmhouse sink, light/medium stained hardwood, white and stainless appliances) Here's a photo of the granite...

Comments (6)

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Chiseled edge sounds messy to me. Do you have a pic? We don't see that often around here. I'd be worried about the ability to wipe crumbs, etc into your hand easily. That happens with a lot of fancy edges.

Also, farmhouse sink doesn't scream chiseled edge to me. It says simpler to me. If it helps, I matched my black walnut island edge to my Carrara edge. Ever so simple eased edge. I like clean and square.

Beautiful gray granite!!

• krycek1984
    10 years ago

We are getting a rockface edge on a curved portion of our pass through. I love it, but only in certain quantities. It might be a bit much for a whole kitchen. I'm guessing rockface is equivalent to chiseled.

• User
    10 years ago

The "chiseled", "chipped" or "rockface" edge is rough - they look great, but you will be shredding clothing and skin on them unless you pay extra to have them smoothed down.

I got a plain barely rounded edge, like your backup plan, and it's great.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Chipped/chiseled reminds me of those themed hotel suites (The Caveman). I don't think you can go wrong with eased, esp. with your butcher block and farm sink.

• HammerMom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Breezy - the edges around the sink would be smooth, which was a design challenge for me already because that would mean 3 different edges in the kitchen and even though my brain said "no no" I was still caught up in how much I love the chiseled/chipped/rough edge. Your pic of your kitchen was a good reminder for me of how the smooth edge looks and helps everything flow.

Lazygardens - our fabricator informs me that they do this as a "controlled" cut and they sand it a lot before sealing so as not to cause clothing or other issues...they also say that the chipped edge is one of the most popular ones they are doing (which got me to wondering if it's more of a trend right now....which is not what I want)

We woke up this morning and between your replies and a clear head have decided that we will go with the eased edge.

Here's a pic of part of the kitchen I took this morning - lighting isn't so great..

Thank you everyone for your comments.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

I think you made a good choice given the pic of your kitchen. Eased will look better. In a year or so, you won't even remember how much you liked the chipped edge. Looking forward to lots of finished pics!