Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

A few KAW sneak peaks

brightm
9 years ago

D*@)^ it! I spelled peek wrong!

We got our fridge and range on Saturday. Our vent hood and faucet/disposal/sink hook up today.

I tried prepping some strawberries last night. I forgot I still didn't have a sink, so it still required several trips to the bathroom to rinse, etc, but...

...dogs are staying REALLY close!

(we were moving some things from cabinet to cabinet as well)

Tonight, we had our first official dinner. I took a pic of the first use of the range...toasting fennel seeds for some dressing...

Somewhere in here we opened a bottle of wine and all I have is some carrots being grated...

...what's important about that pic is that it's on my low counter under the window...can't you tell? ;)

Then we skip to the final result...

Everything was awesome. It's going to take getting used to a multi-butt kitchen. We did a lot of circling the island, and 'Can you hand me the ___________?'

But it was a nice event. It was a great evening. And fabulous food.

For those of you following the story, the goal was to be done WAY before we went back to school (two teachers) to have time to get used to and enjoy the kitchen this summer. Well, DH started back last week and I started back today. Not all bad, from what people tell me, for a kitchen with cabinets ordered mid-May and that arrived mid-July.

(side note: I've estimated we could have about 9 or 10 work stations in the kitchen and could have about 20 people socializing. I am SO ready to have a party!)

This post was edited by cal_quail on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 0:33

Comments (16)

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Looks great. Aren't you just so pleased!!!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

So...when's the party? ;)
    It looks really great and I KNOW how awesome it is to finally use your space. Enjoy it...and don't forget my invite!!

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

terri pnw--I just can't wait to do it again! Clean up will be more 'fun' when the dishwasher is installed (Wednesday, fingers crossed). We tossed some things when packing so there were a few
    'Don't we have more soy sauce? Okay, I found it.'
    'Do we have any sugar...no...okay we have honey, right?' moments.

We are leaving stuff in the fridge in the garage until we need it. We're making a real push to eat healthier with the reno. One down, a lifetime to go.

This post was edited by cal_quail on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 0:44

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

texas gem-Wait...YOU're the party girl. I need tips! You need to come and train me in entertaining!

ETA: Or I'll go there for the tips, then you come here and 'test' me. :D

This post was edited by cal_quail on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 0:46

• Mags438
    9 years ago

A functional stove and a vent hood ? Lucky, lucky you!! Party over at Cal's!

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Sink schmink. Look what you did without one! Awesome! I'm happy you're seeing the finish line.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

oh my. I recognize that tiny bowl in your 'result' pic! We had maybe 2 large ones like that when I was growing up! I think my sister ended up with them. I was just thinking about them this past week - like I should check out some used stores and try to find one for me.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

Yay! It looks great! Glad to hear everything is in place. Looks like an awesome first meal! Enjoy!

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

desertsteph- The salt bowl is a piece of Hall's Autumn Leaf. I have a set of 3 mixing bowls that were my mom's and that we used when I was growing up. I think they were her mom's, but I'm not sure. We've picked up a few pieces, including the piece we use as a salt bow,l at antique shops. There are almost always a few pieces in every shop.

I forget what it's called. Soufflé? Ramekin? It just looks like a tiny little mixing bowl.

Some pieces are plentiful, like the mixing bowls. Others are rare and crazy expensive. A little googling is eye popping.

It matched my rust-colored old kitchen better, but I still like it around.

• cmm1964
    9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I am a frequent lurker but have not read the details on your remodel with specific details. Any links?

I also noticed the small bowl. I have the large mixing bowl that resides in our summer cottage! It was a hand me down from my mother in law.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks cmm1964 and others for the kind words. I'll do some kind of broader reveal after we get a few more appliances. We still have a few holes.

Today is a full day of district meetings (teacher) complete with continental breakfast and lunch served. The ONE day that I WANT to make breakfast and lunch, and I don't need to! Luckily, there will be plenty more

• mgmum
    9 years ago

I'm drooling over your dinner! It looks great, Cal! You must be just dying waiting for it to be done, you're so close! The kitchen looks awesome, too!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Congrats and yum!
    I have been following your reno on. Frtemans post.
    I am Seeing lots of peaks in Alberta.
    We have internet this morning and I took a peek.
    A2gemini

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a2g. Nice to see you. Hope you're enjoying the peaks.

• amck2
    9 years ago

It's heartening to see you close in on the finish line. Dinner looked so good!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

That looks REALLY good! Wish at least one of us over here knew how to cook. :/