Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help with direction of wood look tile

Posted by robinle (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 0:28

We have been remodeling a 1960's ranch style house. Many of the walls of the house are at angles. The rooms that I have colored in orange are the rooms we plan on using the wood look tile. This is the kitchen, dining area and living room. It is all open concept.
I already have the tile. I am wondering what direction we should have it laid. If it is straight in the living room it looks wrong in the kitchen and visa versa. Would it look better if it is all laid at an angle starting in the corner of the living room? Please any suggestions or help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help with direction of wood look tile

I love the look of diagonally laid floors. Yours could be parallel to either of the long dining room walls. The first time I had my wood floors laid, I got talked into doing them perpendicular to the front door. But when they were replaced, I insisted on having them put back diagonally and I love it! You may pay slightly more for installation, and there may be a slight extra amount of waste,

o

I have wood flooring laid on the diagonal and love the look of it. I think with your floor plan it would be a great solution to not having it look wrong in one room or the other. Here is how my floor looks going from my great room area to the kitchen/dining area. I have the wood floor on the diagonal for both connecting hallways too. Hope the picture gives you an idea of how yours would look with tile

o

We are doing the wood look tile in our very open kitchen/dining/great room and while we don't have quite as many angles as you do we are laying it in a herringbone pattern. He finished the mudroom with the herringbone a few days ago and it looks great. Just another option for you :)

o

Thank you for your help. Met with the tile installer today we decided to put the tile in the herringbone pattern with a border around the room of two tiles. The small room next to the kitchen/living room we decided to lay the tile on the diagonal. When it is done I will post the pictures.

o

Can't wait to see!! My mother is thinking about using a wood look tile and it helps to see pictures.

o

Great choice (herringbone): it is more traditional (adds complexity but will go with any style, in my mind) and more interesting than a running pattern, and will deal with changing directions in multiple rooms. Border will add elegance and definition. Just saw a wood-patterned tile in a magazine a few days ago and tore out the page for our upcoming home project!

o

Love herringbone! A border adds a world of difference. Hope it turns out well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here