Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Cabinets

Posted by NorthofCenter (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 0:25

Medallion, Dynasty, Plain and Fancy or Custom. Any idea what the cost might run for 15 by 8 with very simple cabinets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Cabinets

Too many variables. As in hundreds, if not thousands. What layout? (Out of hundreds possible?) What cabinet boxes in that layout? (A 24" single door, or double door, or drawer stack or trash pullout or tray organizer, or open bookcase, or full height door, or base MW cabinet, ......) What wood? (Oak, maple, cherry, walnut, alder, red birch, pecan, stain grade maple, lyptus.......) Door style? (157 versions of shaker? Raised panel of 243 versions? Slab? Applied molding?.....) Stain? (Plain single stage wipe? Multi-stage dye, wiped stain, glaze? 15 stage tinted polished lacquer? Opaque lacquer? Solid color 3 stage paint? Paint with glaze? Paint with glaze with light distressing? Stain with highlight?.......) Moldings? (Small single crown with installer's blocking? 3 step crown with mounting strip? 2 step light rail? Decorative onlays? Island legs? Decorative feet.....)

Even if you narrowed the variables down to just the hundreds possible, the quotes can be from 20-60K for the same kitchen in the same line, depending on the variables that are left. Develop your layout first, then develop a relationship with a KD who offers a couple of lines that can give you the overall look that you want. Then lean on them to help you navigate the maze.

o

GreenDesigns is right in every point, of course. But I can tell you that for my 15 x 8 galley, stained cherry, true custom with bells and whistles, I paid something like $11,600. I used a Mennonite craftsman in Upstate NY - location matters, too. I had initial quotes ranging from $8000 to $18000, including big box, semi custom, and custom. If you come up with a basic plan and specs, as GreenDesigns suggests, you'll be able to get starting estimates. But be sure to consider the quality. It's worth a little extra to get a good product.

o

I've always found that it's best NOT to pick cabinets that particle board for their interior. The particle board sucks up lots of smells and holds them. Better to spend a bit more and get laminated or veneered insides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here