Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrienne_gray4748350

So how in God's green earth did you choose your cabinet hardware?

Adrienne Gray
13 years ago

We're in the final planning stages of the kitchen for our new home (anyone else living with a spreadsheet?) and we've got almost everything nailed with just a couple of variables. Except for cabinet hardware. That's because I haven't got a clue.

I keep studying images, trying to figure out why the exact same style/placement does it for me in some kitchens, but not others.

The kitchen design has one foot in Christopher Peacock Scullery land, and one foot in 60's Danish Modern land. White shaker cabinets with slab drawers. The island cabinets will be white under marble slab, though with stained walnut support and legs. The main wall has glass cabinets with a classic x face design, only the moulding making the x's will be a contrast walnut. Double 30" Stainless Freedom Columns as well as a stainless 52" hood over a 48" stainless range.

Internally I fight the battle between classic and modern, so I love the idea of well-thought juxtaposition as much as I fear it. Part of me wonders how long bar handles will look. Part of me wants to do tiny cylindrical pulls. The rest of me wants to bury my head in the sand!

I see some kitchens with polished nickel hardware, some with chrome, some with stainless - and I get so lost.

So how did you choose yours, and knowing what you know, what would you say to us? Does hardware truly make or break, or does it really just go away?

Comments (13)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi there--

I chose my hardware by trying to get as much of the stuff I like into one kitchen.

I have the Aubrey and Duluth (I think...would have to double check when it is time to post my finished kitch) pulls from RH in both sn and a custom finish (antique brass) done by Horton Brass.

Knobs--I have sn and ab as well as glass diamond cut crystal knobs and white milk glass octagonal knobs.

So, two different pulls in two finishes each. Simple knobs in two finishes each and then crystal and milk glass knobs.

I definitely price engineered because all those RH pulls sure do add up.

Sure there are other knobs I would have loved in my kitchen, but I wimped out at 4 different kinds.

Get what you love and it will definitely work.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Interesting mix of personal styles you have, AlabamaMommy! You sound like me--my dining room is a mix of Danish Modern and Federal/Regency. My adjoining new kitchen is similarly schizoid with high-end and plebian, modern and antique. I'm fixating on a classy combo pull of mod brassy yellow metal and chromy-silver metal by Omnia. I would use it on uppers and lowers indiscriminately. Am I nuts or is this the apogee of timeless style that would make a fashion statement forever and ever (and would impact my bank statement for quite a while)?

Watch out for sabjimata--she's a subversive who will unabashedly convince you to buy a handful of every knob or pull you like!

Here is a link that might be useful: All it takes is money and guts :-)

• beachbum
    13 years ago

Yes, the pulls and knobs make a huge impact. You know that...that's why you can change styles so easily on your shaker cabinets ;)

I bought several things and then made hubby hold them up repeatedly for me. Not the easiest thing to do, but it helped me really "get" what I was doing.

Funny enough, I too did a combo of RH. I used Aubry handles in two sizes, Duluth knobs, and Gilmore pulls in two sizes.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I had this idea I was going to use Anne at Home to play up my tiles and break up my slab cabinets. I was on a desperate search for appliance pulls so that I could make sure they went with the cremone bolts I ended up not needing. One evening I was paging and paging through Homeportfolio.com while trying to calm down and watch TV because I needed an answer immediately. A couple hours of scrolling later, I found knobs that were too perfect for words. And it turned out that the artisan could do them in the finish I preferred (satin brass), and had an appliance pull that suited me better than any others I'd seen. And at a very reasonable price for custom artisan work!

My point being that you probably haven't seen or thought of what was just right for you yet. Open your mind and keep looking. Remember that you're going to be looking at and using these for a long time, so try to set aside trends and focus just on what you like.

Since you're looking for a balance of classic and modern, my own suggestion is to look for a shape that is both. They do exist! Then when you have the shape, choose the finish that best goes with your other colors. Color. All those different silvery finishes are different colors. Get samples and see what looks best with your kitchen.

• nursetammi
    13 years ago

OMG that was so hard, I remember being on the computer for hours each night trying to decide. My cabinet guys used this site http://www.hardwareresources.com so I was on that site forever. I went with the Glenmore series.I am pretty traditional. The only piece of advice I would give is be sure you get knobs and pulls that stand out enough that when you put your fingers on them you don't touch the cabinets. My old kitchen had knobs that were pretty close to the wood and we saw some wear and tear. Good Luck...you'll make the right decision for you :) Then you have to decide the exact spot you want them on the cabinet or drawer and if you want all pulls, all knobs or both. I did both, here's a pic for you.

• lolauren
    13 years ago

I saved photos of every kitchen I liked in a folder on my computer.... for about a year. I started this before discovering this site and before knowing what "Shaker" or "inset" meant.

As it turns out, there were trends within my selections.... shaker doors, often inset..... often white..... often ORB.... :) Not a surprise, right? There were also trends within the cabinet hardware. Certain hardware looked good to me consistently.

When it got closer to ordering, I looked at my saved photos and every post I could on this forum regarding hardware. I ordered a few samples from various options. When none of the samples made me swoon, I went to Rejuvenation Hardware in person and just picked out what I liked and closed my eyes when the total came up on the register (Yes, this was a splurge part of my kitchen.... but I didn't pay their horrendous shipping at least :P)

:) My cabinets are almost all installed. We should be moved in within a few weeks. My hardware is past the return time, so that is that!! :P I now am stuck with deciding if I want two pulls or one on my large drawers... *sigh*....

Good luck!

• lululemon
    13 years ago

I really struggled with this decision until I just went out and bought one handle in each of the styles and colours I was considering and stuck them on the cabinets with sticky tape. I left them there for about a week then gradually eliminated one or two a day until the choice was made. By doing this I was able to test the function of the pulls as well as their looks and had to eliminate my early favourite because my husbands fingers didn't fit comfortably under it. (By the way the cabinets all had bits of green painters tape stuck to the edges to actually open them - the taped on handles were just for looks)

I ended up with a matte black very plain cup pull from Lee Valley Tools for the drawers with matching knobs for the doors. They are very striking on the pale yellow cabinets and match the matte black faucet.

I was lucky enough to be able to return all the knobs I didn't use but I think it would have been worth it even if I couldn't. I also didn't have to pay shipping since I live close enough to drive to the store. I hope this helps.

• rjr220
    13 years ago

Backsplash and pulls were the most difficult decisions. I bought at least 6 to try out and feel. Ended up going with something I had orginally dismissed, but in a larger size. We know what you're going through. Like Nursetammi, I spent hours combing the net. Ended up finding what I have at Lowes on accident.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Alabamamommy - It was a long and more complicated process than I expected. I expected picking stone counters would be difficult, paint colors are always a challenge but hardware? One thing to keep in mind that if you pick a standard size - I think that 3.5" or 4" center to center are common measurements - you can always change them (especially if you have not spent a fortune.)

I definitely recommend going to a local hardware store and picking up a few - different finishes, different styles - to start to narrow down what you are attracted to. We also put the samples on the doors (we used that adhesive tacky putty but the tape mentioned above may work better.) You may get lucky and find one you love, but if not you will have a better idea of the style or finish that works for you. Then you can order samples - from one of the online knob sites, a local restoration hardware (they don't charge you shipping if you order from the store - I even ordered on the phone via the store so I didn't even have to go to the mall :) or other store that carries hardware. We have a great local hardware store that carries all kinds, BUT each manufacturer charges shipping so it stinks for samples (versus the online consolidators that will charge you one fee even if you order from different manufacturers.) I also found some online stores that specialized in more period hardware, even some more simple (www.whitechaple-ltd.com, wwww.houseofantiquehardware.com and www.horton-brasses.com.)

The surprising thing was to me some handles looked good in some finishes but not in others. Additionally, finishes look different for each manufacturer - some lacquer, some don't, some times there is a "grain" on a brushed knob or pull that goes in a certain direction. Some knobs have an orientation. OK - maybe I have freaked you out more at this point.

I surprised myself in the process - I originally wanted a silver color but not polished (actually loved the pewter but everything was either rustic or super expensive.) BUT - I ended up with polished nickle because it really complimented my natural birch cabinets AND I used ORB on my white island and cabinets AND used glass knobs and satin nickle on my desk/hutch. Oh yeah AND two different handle styles AND knobs.

I also wanted something that was a little old (we have a turn of the century house) at the same time contemporary. I went with Restoration hardware bistro pulls - but almost went with the House of Antique Hardware's "Classic Early 20th Century Pull" (and don't even look at Sun Valley bronze unless you have an "unlimited budge" - they are beautiful :)

Regarding you kitchen - I love ORB with white, but you have to decide do you want hardware to stand out as ORB does with your walnut accents. I became attached to PN because it actually reflects what is there and therefore doesn't stand out as much as an ORB but give a lightness and glow that I didn't expect. Chrome is "cooler" looking than PN to me. Satin nickle (stainless has a similar look but is more expensive) would be more "modern" and does look really nice on the white as well. There is also antique brass (sort of a dulled almost browned brass - not shiny) that would give you more of a classic feel and may be a nice compliment to walnut but based on what I read this may not be your cup of tea (I have just warmed to it recently.)

Obviously I still have some hardware baggage based on my long post - I wish you luck and hope that some of this helps.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Hardware was a toughy. After hundreds of hours of research and having purchased all my pulls and knobs several months prior, I completely changed my mind right before we installed the doors. When setting cup pulls on one of the drawer fronts just to get myself revved up, I actually felt something was off. The scale of the hardware, with that big ole drawer front just didn't look right to me. Then I had the handle I purchased for the dishwasher, and just for kicks, I put it on the drawer front...

I WAS IN LOVE!

And a bit sick to my stomach because the handles were so much more expensive! I also had found larger cup pulls that I liked as well, thinking that might be the solution. I tried the same thing with the larger cup pulls, and it still didn't make my heart sing. I was smitten with that doggone "dishwasher handle" for the big drawers. But what to do about the smaller deep drawer fronts? I went online and looked up my large handle and *EUREKA* there was a 6" version of the exact same thing! My decision was made right there, oh, and LOOK! This website offers them for $3 LESS than the other site! Score!

What I finally decided was: larger cup pull on all the shallow slab drawer fronts; the 12" or 6" pulls on all the deep drawers and pullouts; knobs (the only knobs on my base cabs)on the sink doors, and I already had these exquisite Old Towne crystal/glass knobs for all the uppers.

Even though we still have a ways to go, I grin every time I walk in my kitchen. It is so me. ;^)

This was my really long-winded way of saying, it may not look like it now, but you will *know* when you find "the one or ones". Definitely buy only one piece (or two for a pair) of different contenders and place them on your doors--in the space they'll be in. That was the clincher for me.

• sergeantcuff
    13 years ago

I was lucky, thanks to this forum. I hadn't even started researching hardware, didn't know where to start, when someone here suggested Horton Brasses as a source for someone else's kitchen. I looked at the website, saw something I loved, and was done!

• rcvt
    13 years ago

Cabinet hardware was the easiest thing to choose! I have no cabinetry obsessions except for functionality, so I chose the Ikea line that suited my contemporary artsy-fartsy home and then looked for handles that met these criteria:

1. Would be almost invisibly unobtrusive;
    2. Wouldn't require holes drilled into the fronts of any cabinets so I could easily change hardware in the future;
    3. Would be inexpensive (O.K., cheap).

So I chose Strecket hardware. The aluminum goes with my SS appliances and the pared-down shape doesn't make any "statement," which is what I wanted.

Condolences to all hardware-obsessing friends here. It must be hell. So many beautiful designs to choose from!

rc

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid-size Strecket pulls

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Don't forget to see what ebay has. I got mine from there, vintage pulls and vintage knobs of different styles that work together since they are both chrome.
    You can also google hardware terms and then look at images until you have a bunch saved aside. Then go price shopping. Often you can get the same thing from somewhere other than where you fist saw it for a better price.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012