Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miruca

Backsplash SS to hood or ceiling? Where to buy?

miruca
10 years ago

For the kitchen picture below what's your vote for a stainless steel backsplash that is either:
a) between range and hood
b) from range and behind hood to top of cabinets

I like the long sweeping look of to the top of the cabinets but I am also not sure how to deal with it as it hits the crown - which bumps out about six inches below the ceiling and than further flares out about three inches below the ceiling.

Also .. what is the best option for buying the stainless steel (do not want quitled or tiles). I've seen 36 x 30 sheets on amazon - but no long ones. Is it best to go to lowes or a similar place and have them cut it to spec's?

How does it get attached?

{{!gwi}}

BTW - you may notice the wine cubbies are not aligned...Kraftmaid is remaking two together to ensure alignment.

Comments (12)

• deedles
    10 years ago

What does your hood look like? I think that might dictate what way you'd go...

I think you could call a local metal working shop and get what you needed. No clue as to how it's applied? Glue of some sort maybe?

• miruca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deedles - you are so right .. what the hood looks like makes a difference. Here it is:

{{!gwi}}

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Are you married to stainless up to at least the hood? I know it's practical to clean, but I'd be more inclined to make that area more of a focal point. Of course I'm prejudiced because that's what I'm doing, tile up to the ceiling. :)

I think the stainless against stainless would be a bit much. At most I'd go up to the bottom of your uppers - that'll take care of the bulk of any splatters. If it weren't a chimney style hood, stainless up to the hood wouldn't bother me so much. But yeah, when I worked HVAC we cut a lot of SS blanks for people.

• kwilson50
    10 years ago

I ordered a simple piece of stainless steel for the backsplash behind my stove from QuickShipMetals.com. Was a bit of a panic job when it dawned on me on a Thursday that the stove was coming the following Friday and the backsplash really should be installed before the stove. So not heavily researched, just a quick google search. But, they did seem to have a good selection of standard sizes and custom cutting also. Piece showed up with plenty of time, stuck it to the wall with Liquid Nails and I was good to go. I'm a somewhat messy cook so something super easy to clean behind the stove has been great.

• mdwstgrl
    10 years ago

Miruca: beautiful kitchen! I have used tile up to the bottom of the hood. Tile was travertine so I had seen stainless guards that are easily placed behind range to protect tile. Tile was sealed so protected for the most part, however guard would be useful if needed. I am partial to a continuous tile for a backsplash to keep lines seamless to the eye.

• miruca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mdwstgrl - the compliment is returned - your kitchen is beautiful and the travertine equisite. I'm sure foodonastump (what a fun name) will enjoy the pic too since tile to the ceiling is preferred.

Although lovely to look at, we do not want to do tile ... so I'd say we are not married to stainless steel but we are definitely divorced from tile.

kwilson50 thanks for sharing your experience with quickshipmetals.com

Re the kitchen... I have to say a huge thanks to mpagmom and kitchenaddict. The design and window are derived directly from mpagmom's posts of pictures and details, except that the cabinets are peppercorn cherry like kitchenaddicts.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Miruca: Here is a house that I sold but never lived in. I also went on Amazon and purchased a SS sheet and my contractor used the same type of glue. I preferred to see the hood rather than let it meld in (if I had taken it all the way up).

• miruca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

firsthouse_mp - oh I do appreciate this picture! And I like your point about the hood not melding in. Thanks!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

I just ran across this. Wow! It's fun to see my kitchen in dark wood. I really like kitchenaddict's cabinets, but my husband wouldn't go for it. I love what you did to the right of the fridge. I kept wanting to sneak a narrow pantry there, but in the end I opted for extra space between the range and fridge. I can't wait to see it all finished! Sorry I am no help on the backsplash question, but I think firsthouse_mp is always right.

• eleena
    10 years ago

firsthouse,

Could you please tell me how those shelves around the hood were installed?

BTW, LOVE your kitchen!

• theanimala
    10 years ago

We did stainless steel mini tiles to the ceiling past the hood. Debated doing it both ways but like the result. Sorry it's not the best view as it's far off but it's all I have handy...

• miruca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

theanimalia - very nice!

mpagmom - it's fun for me to see your kitchen with dark cabinets, too :). I'm so very glad I came across your kitchen...and your window. This window is a few inches shorter .. somehow they ordered the wrong size but it is still fabulous. I wasn't sure it would turn out as well in the dark cabinets but it is quite stunning, I think.