Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmyland

Wall cabinet height above countertop?

jimmyland
13 years ago

Just a quick question as I'm trying to plan my cabinet install...

My wall cabinets have a flat bottom, and I was planning to install them 18" above the counter top. Now, I do plan on installing under cabinet lighting in the future, which would entail installing a 1 1/2" trim below the wall cabinet bottom to hide the light and wiring.

So my question is... should I include the trim height in my 18" measurement? so effectively, installing the cabinets 19 1/2" above the counter top now?

Comments (5)

• jimsonburg
    13 years ago

Get several quality levels of different lengths. As you are installing, check the level on as many axes as possible: along a run of cabinets, corner to corner, across appliance openings. Measuring the level during and after installation avoids starting over or problems after you start using the kitchen again. It's a good idea to check the level of the floor as well, especially for long cabinet runs. If the floor is uneven, draw a horizontal level line on the wall, and level your wall cabinets from this line.

Here is a link that might be useful: countertop

• idrive65
    13 years ago

Yes, if your lightrail is 1.5" then install your cabinets that much higher. You may be able to get lower profile lights and use narrower trim, and thus hang them lower.

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Check the specs on your stove first, if there will be cabinets anywhere near it. For some more powerful stoves (esp. gas with high BTUs) you will want to stay at least 18 inches away. Sometimes that is more easily accomplished by making a larger gap between the upper cabinets by the stove, so that the lower corner of the cabinet is further away from the stovetop.

Then consider the height of the cooks and chief dishwasher emptiers. My husband is 5'11" and would have no problem with uppers that have the bottom shelf 19.5 inches off the countertop, but I'm 5 inches shorter, and I would not be able to reach the second shelf in the upper comfortably if it was 1.5 inches higher.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Eastbay hit it on the head. It depends on your heights and what can be reached for you. Putting a second shelf out of reach for a main cook would not work IMHO.

I also think you could go 1" or 3/4" higher than planned and still have enough clearance. My current cabs are 17" above and that is just a touch too low for my counter appliances. Another half inch would have been fine. I'd measure your mixer, food processor, etc.. and see if they have a certain height need.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Definitely go for what works best for you to use. I should have gotten mine lower--this was one of my concession to "openness"-- because the second shelf is just a bit high and I don't have any kind of 18" coffeemaker or anything to fit under the cabinets. That's the purpose of the 18". The old standard was 15".