Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrasher

Lowering Cost of Frameless European Cabinets

scrasher
9 years ago

So we need about 20 linear feet of cabinets for our new kitchen in nyc. We really like this look:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/chelsea-loft-contemporary-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~26020-Loft-contemporary-kitchen-new-york

Poggenpohl quoted $18K. Leicht $14K. I heard Leicht is just reseller of Nobilia cabinets. It seems like all the cabinet companies sell through high end resellers. Has anyone found a less expensive way of procuring these types of cabinets? Either through a custom cabinet maker, or through small / individual reseller that doesnt charge the overhead of the major nyc showroom stores?

Comments (15)

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

Sure, IKEA. Theirs are frameless Euro cabinets. The fronts in your photo look similar to their Sofielund (lower) and Abstrakt (upper) fronts. Or you could use IKEA's boxes and have doors made by Semihandmade or another customization company. If you don't need custom sizes and aren't bothered by the idea of using IKEA, it could be an option.

I wanted frameless cabs too, and IKEA was the only source I could find locally that was not completely out of our budget (the lines you mentioned were not an option for us). If midrange frameless Euro cabinets exist, they are not easy to find where I live. On the up side, we have been very pleased with our budget IKEA cabinets. They don't "act" budget -- the drawer glides are terrific.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Sofielund door

• schicksal
    9 years ago

What kind of linear feet? Things like super susans, tall cabinets, drawers and built ins affect the price just as much as anything.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Shiloh is putting out a decent cabinet using a melamine front similar to what the europeans are using...of course the guts are not as nice as a PP, but like usual you get what you pay for

In my opinion Leicht is just a glorified Ikea...no bang for the buck there

If your 20LF includes acrylic uppers, aluminum framed glass uppers and aventos hardware that is very good price from PP

How about installation, did they have that figured in?

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Cost factors you have-PP is a hi end brand, hi gloss is expensive and only done well by brands above the middle, lift doors and aluminum frames are pricey. That laminate is now found in many semi custom brands but most don't do it well enough to be consistent with the overall look you show.
    Sure margins ARE higher in NYC so is overhead. Delivery is more complicated-I just priced a job for a friends daughter and the "extra" delivery charges down there came about 12% on top of the initial shipping charges from the mfg.
    IF you travel far enough you will find slightly lower markups, but then only a few will serve the city due to logistics. Even fewer can arrange installation there.

There are a few domestic and a few Canadian brands that can do what you are after for slightly less. (there is at least one dealer on Staten Island who can do the look in another brand but I have no idea of the dealers pricing-call first)
    Some folks will suggest an Ikea hack or the like.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I assume you couldn't find your previous thread on this subject. Here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread

• SuziKD
    9 years ago

Find a Home Depot that carries Innermost cabinetry (not all do). The wall cabinets are 13" deep vs standard 12" deep and should price out lower than what you're looking at.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

The OP does not have GW connected with an email so are not getting any of the follow-up postings. She (he) may not even know that folks responded to either of their threads.

• RChicago
    9 years ago

Ikea with Semihandmade is a great option. We've been super, super happy with our Semihandmade/Ikea bath cabinet.

Leicht quoted me $25k and Poggenpohl $60k for a 13x17 kitchen with no pantry pullouts, so your cabinet quotes don't sound bad at all.

If you're like us, and Ikea won't work because it won't allow you to maximize use of the space, try getting a few custom quotes. I went on Houzz and searched by geographic area - found some kitchens I liked and made calls until I identified a few custom shops that came highly recommended. We haven't worked out all the details on the custom project, but it'll be a lot less than anyone else, will maximize the space, and will get us exactly the look we want.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Simply put, there is a basement to the costs of a project. You can't get lower without compromising majorly on something. That compromise might be more work on your part, with self assembly. That might be not quite the right look. Or, it might be in the fit and finish. If you want the whole package, you have to be willing to bear the costs.

• clg7067
    9 years ago

Have you looked at Kitchencraft? They have a lot of slab options.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchcraft

• clg7067
    9 years ago

This looks very similar. It's called Shale. Kitchencraft.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

SuziKD, thank you for letting us know that Innermost Upper Cabinets are 1" deeper!

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Kitchencrap would never be among my first choices in cabinetry, despite having used them on several jobs. Too many issues with the tolerances being poor and damage to the finish from the production process and shipping.

Up your budget, or lower your expectations.

• PRO
    Mallett Style and Design
    4 years ago

Shiloh Eclipse is nice. There are a ton of modifications available. You can make them as high quality or economical as you wish. Pricing is AWESOME compared to Big Box retailer brands. Do your research there is a lot out there.