Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

semipro faucet on island?

michoumonster
12 years ago

Hi all, I am wondering for those that have or are planning to have a semi-pro, commercial style faucet, would you put the faucet on an island? I would love the functionality for our sink located on the island, since it would also serve as a pot filler. DH thinks it would stick out like a sore thumb and be unattractive because they are so tall. I would love to hear thoughts on this. thank you!

Comments (22)

• function_first
    12 years ago

I have a semi-pro KWC faucet and yes it will be huge on the island, but it will also be hugely functional -- after using it for a brief time you will completely forget how ugly it seemed at first. It will be a wonderful pot filler -- makes quick work of it as the water really does come out of these at a higher pressure and volume than it does a standard faucet.

Also, I used the island version for mine even though it's not on an island (it was in front of a window and had nothing to bolt the support to), and it's been very sturdy, so they really do work well on islands.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kris, thanks for the info. i had no idea that there is an island version versus a regular version, but it makes sense since they are so tall, they might topple over without a brace. i will be sure to check for the correct versions if i purchase one of these faucets. another question, did you use your faucet with a water filter? i am wondering if the pressure will be the same if you run the water through a filter first? partly why i don't want to go with a pot filler at the range is because i want to use filtered water but not do a whole house filter..

• function_first
    12 years ago

Sorry, I can't help you on this one -- I don't filter my water, so not sure the effect it would have.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi kris, thanks for your input. it sounds like something i will need to ask the manufacturers. btw, what kwc faucet model do you have? what other brands did you consider? i am trying to decide between the blanco culina and the kwc sin since they are a bit shorter than other faucets out there.

• function_first
    12 years ago

I have the KWC Disko semi-pro, chosen because it was the least expensive one by KWC I could find -- which mid-reno still had me tossing and turning about spending so much ($585) on a FAUCET (I'm pretty sure it's more than I paid for my dishwasher). I am thrilled with it. Prior to it I tried to order a cheaper one from Overstock and was underwhelmed when parts of it were "chrome finished" plastic (by Vigo). The KWC is solid, and things that I initially thought were dorky ended up making it more useful (the weird shaped hot/cold handles are easy to turn on and off with the back of my hand when hands are yucky) -- the spout which I thought was too long initially works great because it centers perfectly on each side of my sink which is where I do most of the work. Mostly thought every part of it is sturdy, it feels like it is going to last 50 years, and durability is what I like most.

The function is amazing -- the water really shoots out of the end in a big wide STRONG stream. I've used sprayers for years and only had a sad little stream, this is a whole different animal -- I really love how fast I can rinse a sink, or a dish, or fill a bucket.

Really, I can't say enough good about KWC or the semi-pro faucet -- since I'd never used one before, or even heard of them before finding this board, I have no clue whether other semi-pros are the same, but I'd recommend a KWC in a heartbeat to anyone looking for a pre-rinse faucet.

The KWC Sin doesn't look like a semi-pro, but a pull-down. I'm sure you'd be happy with anything from them -- I've yet to read anything negative from anyone about the brand.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kris, thanks for the detailed info on the kWc. looks like the kwc disko model has gone up in price to over $1k now. it is hard to justify spending so much for a faucet for me too. The KWC Sin model that i am looking at has a highflex hose, which looks kind of rubbery. The price for the Sin is also more affordable. Though now that you mention it, i am not sure now if it is indeed a semi-pro faucet since it doesn't say anywhere in the features about a high pressure spray, only professional 360 degree turning.

Here is a link that might be useful: kwc sin

• davidro1
    12 years ago

KWC Sin (new this summer) is the best of all worlds. It's esthetic and it works like a semi-pro faucet without any big spring. Inside the hose is an invisible spring.

• function_first
    12 years ago

OOoh, I like the sin, verrrrry pretty! I didn't realize that was a flexible hose when I first looked at it , it *is* (as David sez) the best of both worlds. And looks like you can get it for less than 1/2 of msrp -- wow, not a bad deal at all.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kris, which site did you find that sells it for half msrp?
    David, do you know if the Sin is actually a semi-pro faucet? The specs say it is only 1.8gpm 60 psi and didn't mention anything about high pressure spray. The larger kwc ono highflex model does mention it is a semipro model and has a high pressure spray and a fine pressure spray, so i was wondering if that meant the Sin doesn't have the dual pressure sprays. have you seen the faucet in person? I am hoping to see it IRL. It does look really nice in the pics, though DH still thinks it is too tall for the island. the blanco culina also is similar in looks too but also a new model so not in stores that I know of yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: culina faucet

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Sin Highflex (flexible springback tube) is 10.261.432.000 or 10.261.432.127 .
    Its hose is light gray, not black as the internet images show.
    ((I suppose this will be corrected one day).

Its spray is designed as a veggie rinser, not a powerwash washdown like what commercial cafeterias might want for dirty plates that are about to go into a commercial dishwasher for an instant sterilizer process. This is another reason why I think it's the best of both worlds. At home we have dishwashers that remove the stuff that has dried onto plates; they don't have that in restaurants.

• function_first
    12 years ago

If this is the same one (10.261.432.000), then qualitybath.com has it for $589 (plus 5% sale thru Friday, so $559, msrp appears to be $1250 (?).

There's another site that has a similar price (homeperfect.com), but there are numerous recent complaints out there about that company. I'm not familiar with qualitybath.com but a quick search didn't turn up any complaints.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

It's all above-deck.
    Therefore it doesn't interference with the drawer back panel.
    We have a drawer under the sink and a drawer back panel which is 90% intact.
    In plumbing fixture showrooms you can often see examples of a hose that interferes with the operation of the display drawer underneath.

The hose resets itself.
    It is rigid enough, and with physical memory, so it stands up and resets itself.
    It is designed not to sag (no mechanical fatigue)

These are the big new features.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi kris, yes, i think the 10.261.432.000 is the same one. thanks!

David, i am hoping that i can get a strong spray like Kris was describing since i would love to be able to rinse out large pots and also clean the sink easily. I hand-wash all of my pots and pans so a dishwasher won't help here. I will have to do some more probing to see if the Sin has the functionality of a real semi-pro...

• davidro1
    12 years ago

I've seen the spray in action and it is strong (in my view) not weak. The Sin Highflex sprayer is strong enough to rinse pots and rinse the sink out fast. It's the same spray as in the other version of Sin that has this spray "wand" on a pullout hose.

What I consider weak sprays are in the massmarket pullouts I have seen over the years (but I haven't spent a lot of time studying them when I was in the presence of a weak spray) and definitely every side spray I have ever seen.

The concept of semi-pro applied to a residential kitchen is strange; it's hard to get a handle on it because they never announce whether it's a washdown spray or a spray designed to go easy on spinach leaves instead of ripping the leaves to shreds. A few months ago aliris19 and I wrote about the T&S Brass spray nozzles (these are for the commercial market only) and this month someone posted about them in the plumbing forum. T&S Brass low-flow nozzles use only about 0.6 Gpm but still put out a sharp spray. In another thread, in plumbing or in bathrooms, plumber lazypup wrote about a lowflow showerhead that puts out a sharp spray. Sharp means it feels powerful on your scalp and on your skin. The actual number of Gallons per Minute is low, so Gpm and spray sharpness don't correlate.

Hth

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks David, i will look for your TS brass post. i always thought that the spray strength should correlate with the gpm and the psi combined, so it would depend on water pressure or how it can allow pressure to build up in the nozzle also? but i am not schooled in plumbing, so this is still very vague to me.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

the explanation given by lazypup covers it well.

Here is a link that might be useful: pinholes = sharp water jets

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

We have the set-up you describe and love it. The high-arc faucet is usable from both sides of the island, placed at one side of a 2 foot x 2 foot utility sink, also accessible from the range side of the island. The apron front sink we use more for prep.
    Lynn

{{!gwi}}

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I wonder what Vincent Scully would say about that faucet?

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

I shudder to think.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    12 years ago

farmgirl, your kitchen is beautiful! so warm and unique! i love how you can use your faucet from both sides of the island. i am planning a wider island so probably cannot do your setup, but it may be worth considering making my island skinnier.. i will show DH your pics to see if he will change his mind on the faucet. which faucet model is yours? it is also very attractive.

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Both faucets in the kitchen are Dornbracht, michoumonster, beautiful finish and in my experience problem-free -- but it's either the faucets or a new car...I choose faucets
    lynn

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lynn, thanks for the info! but Yikes! i think i will have to go for the car...