Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovemcm

help me find this tile - photo

lovemcm
15 years ago

We love this inspiration kitchen, designed by Jennifer Gilmer Kitchens in Chevy Chase, MD. Jen generously offered the information on the cabinets, but an interior decorator picked the tile backsplashes and the light fixture (not shown in this photo). When I contacted him, he was unwilling to give me any info, so I'm on my own. I've tried to find the same or similar tiles on the internet, but can only find the stainless steel. Anyone have a clue what that matte gray backsplash might be or where I could find it? I like the thicker row alternated with the thinner row, and love the matte gray color. I've checked Ann Sacks, Daltile, Walker Zanger and a number of other lesser known companies with no luck. I know the tile was purchased in Washington, D.C. (I'm in RI).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (14)

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

hi petlady
    don't forget that it could have been cut down from a larger piece of tile to form that pattern. if you don't find the exact tile, you can probably replacate it... maybe with slate?? I LOVE the look and I love your courage and pluck to track down these sources. I am glad the cabinet designer shared his/her source and wish the other designer would have as well (but fully understand why they didn't). With determination and persistence you'll find it! Good luck!

• lovemcm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks MDP (I've already typed mamadadapaige several times tonite, so forgive the abbreviation ). It has occurred to me that they may have been cut in this pattern, and even if not, I can do that if the pattern does not already exist. Just thought I'd ask around. As for pluck and courage, I have been looking for many months to find a kitchen that makes my heart sing. I flirted with a few, but none was "the one," til I saw this one. I would have walked on broken glass barefoot to get as much info as I could on how to get those finishes. Jen Gilman couldn't have been nicer, and she does gorgeous kitchens, all styles. If anyone is interested, I've included the link to her website portfolio below. The entire kitchen I love is in her portfolio, along with several others, all of which are beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: jennifer gilman kitchen pics

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

hi PL,
    okay, I love that kitchen. for a while i was in love with cabinet pulls from mockett.com... they are similar to the one in the photo so i figured i'd send you a link.

mdp

Here is a link that might be useful: pulls

• lovemcm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oooo, MDP, great modern hardware! Thanks!!

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

There is a gray limestone that would give a similar look.
    Have you checked Waterworks?
    The link below shows a Jerusalem Gray limestone, just for reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just an example

• lovemcm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hadn't checked waterworks. kitchendetective. They have some interesting stuff. And that limestone does look like a good possibility. Thanks!

• blondelle
    15 years ago

Daltile has something similar that looks just like limestone. It's called City View. Here's a link to one of the colors, and there's also a deeper warm gray. Looks like stone but no upkeep. BTW, Costco has the stainless tile just like that for under $10 a sf. It's on their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile City View

• blondelle
    15 years ago

If you want this exact tile it IS Walker Zanger. Look on page 10 of their online catalog on the top left. It's the exact same with two different sized rows. You just need to find the stone they did that style in as each pattern comes in many stones. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: WZ Online Catalog

• lovemcm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Blondelle. I guess I thought that pattern would only come in the colors they show on the bottom of the page, none of which is right. But I think it is probably a good idea for me to hit the local Walker Zanger (about 45 mins away) and see what they can do. You have eagle eyes!

• flyingcarrot
    15 years ago

Call their showroom and direct them to the photo...they will tell you if it's their product.

If the WZ thing doesn't work out, I think you could achieve same look with honed blue limestone tiles, cut by an installer on site.

• blondelle
    15 years ago

Petlady1, you're very welcome. I think the color shown is Ash Gray in your photo. Instead of all that driving though, especially with the price of gas, I would e-mail them the photo and have them ID the stone to see if it's the Ash Gray. Then see if they make it in the style you want, and then ask them to send you some samples. Much easier and cheaper ;-).

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

this is so satisfying!! its not even my tile or my kitchen, but it is just so pleasing to solve the mystery and get to the bottom of it.

petlady, will you do those pretty glass tiles in between the limestone? that is a very sharp look indeed!

• lovemcm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I swear, this is absolutely the best kitchen site on the internet!

Blondelle, I agree it is probably the ash gray, which I found, after your post, on pages 8-9. You and Flying Carrot have a good idea, and I will try calling, but the showroom here in RI is pretty small and not exclusively Walker Zanger, and the customer service wasn't great when I visited before. Still it's worth a try.

And yes mamadadapaige, I'm doing the shiny in between. I'm thinking it's a stainless steel brushed, with every other tile brushed in a perpendicular direction. I think something like the photo below.

• lovemcm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rats!!! I called WZ customer service for the North East and asked if I could get that alt tile pattern in the ash gray. They told me they were sorry, but that pattern is only offered in the colors shown. Not possible to get it in the ash gray. Back to the drawing board...