Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstmmo

Do you like "quiet" marble?

firstmmo
10 years ago

Have finally decided after two home remodels and much research, that I will definitely have marble for my kitchen counters. My DH and I have spent the past two years observing the counters at different restaurants that we have eaten at and noticed a proliferation of marble at many of them (including two years ago when we were in Rome for my sister's wedding). So, I am feeling fairly confident that I know what the etching and patina will look like and that it won't bug me. But, now that I have been looking for marble, I noticed that there is so many different kinds! I had always thought that I would choose something with vivid veining like this:

But after looking at all of the choices, I am now leaning toward a much quieter marble. Wonder what you think of these "non traditional" looks? The slabs would also be $3,000 cheaper, which is hugely swaying me. I think for the most part, the counters should be important enough that the extra money could be spent on this if I was convinced, but I don't seem to be.....what do you think of this more monochromatic marble that is less dramatic?

The bookmatched ends of two slabs for my island:

My old kitchen, which I loved, had White Princess. They also had these slabs, but am feeling a bit "been there, done that" with the White Princess (and it's more expensive than my quiet marble too). I noticed that these read a bit monochromatic too. Maybe that's where my style sensibility lies anyways.

My old kitchen...and yes, we're a bit obsessed with white:

So if you saw the quiet marble on the counters, would you think "Gee, this doesn't really look like marble that I would expect?"

My cabinets will be the same Simply White as the above in my old kitchen but the feel of the rest of the house will have more wood and it will have black steel windows like these.

Comments (71)

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

I love the quieter marble - it looks "dreamy" to me. I can't wait to see this kitchen when it's done!!!

• zeebee
    10 years ago

A fan of both. We have floor-to-ceiling dramatic veined Calacatta Gold in our master bath, which has high ceilings and a skylight. For my kitchen, I want the quiet murmur of Carrera with no drama at all.

• babushka_cat
    10 years ago

One thing to consider- when you look at slabs you are seeing a very large piece and your counter will usually not be that large so the prominance of those lines will not be as strong when cut down to size of countertop. Taping out your pattern on the stone might help too. Given that this is partially a business venture to allow your husband time to launch a startup, I would do the more quiet ones, increase the potential for profit and reduce financial risk. For resale you can advertise marble counters - most folks won't know the difference between calacatta and something else. You will still get the wow factor and this is just one element of your design- there will be many other wow factors to sell the house. Just my opinion....

• Maura Kortlang
    10 years ago

I like both but actually prefer the quiet one. The less drama in my life, the better! :)

• westsider40
    10 years ago

From the photos here, qu iet and loud marbles look similar enough to your previous granite,so I would definitely choose the granite again to avoid the etching.

I have white Vermont Danby and have a ton of etching. Granite won't etch so y ou could avoid that problem. And I am used to the etching by now, 2.5 years later. But my marble does not wow me. And, I have quiet and loud both, from the same slab.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea babushka! I am going to see if I can get the slabyard to pull out a few of these slabs for me during a different time when I can see them in a different light too (later in the afternoon instead of bright mid-day). That may help too.

mpagmom: Are you the same mamadadapaige? Just wondering because your GW name reminds of that. You have fabulous kitchens if it's you.

RubyWed: LOL about the drama....I know what you mean. I was diagnosed with cancer last month, had surgery and am still trying to figure out how to balance this whole house remodel and my recovery.....maybe that's why I am compelled to the softer, calmer pieces. I need soothing at this point in my life, not vivid and jarring!

West: Hmmm, this is another dilemma I struggled with. Granite/marble/granite/marble? I ask myself that every day.....

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Loved seeing your name pop up, I've been wondering about your kitchen progress... sure to be divine. So sorry to hear about your diagnosis/cancer. Best wishes for the recovery to progress as amazingly well as your renovations. There is a quality about the two kitchens I've seen which you've designed; serenity is the word I'd attribute if I could use only one. (But I also like the contrast).

I think I just prefer greyer marble vs. gold. Wish I'd had known enough to add to our kitchen. So quiet vs. veined...eh? What does kateskourous have in her kitchen? (Another fabulous example of marble).

Know you'd be interested - my latest lighting acquisition is Tech Lighting's k-hellos. Can't wait to see them up:)

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery and equally importantly (this is GW of course) a smooth path to your new kitchen. oldbat2be

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

I'm more of a quiet marble person, too. This is the piece I'm going with for the island.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Quiet, loud. How about calming, bold. Both have their place.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snookums...yes--calm or bold. I need more calm!! Imagine feeling calm in my kitchen instead of harried and at a loss over what to make for dinner. I'll be like June Cleaver, all dandied up and completely in control, wearing high heels and pearls o cook :)

Fox: Very pretty slab. That has the watercolor color feel I seem drawn too.

OldBat: Hi there! I like that you found a common thread to the kitchens I've done. Perhaps it is true that my design aesthetic leans to that, so it might be wise for me to stick with my gut here. My illness has made me a bit "foggier" and a bit less sure of myself, but this observation may be just the thing I need to find conviction in my choice. Thank you for that gift!! Just googled your k-hellos...fun and sleek and modern. Like lights on a tightrope. LOVE lighting. Absolutely love it (just wish I had a budget to buy all the stuff I like!).

• Gigi_4321
    10 years ago

Firsthouse, first, hugs to you and wishing you a quick and complete recovery (going through cancer with a family member at the moment.) Also, if you need anything, I'm about 6 blocks from your new house. And, I'm a home remodeler also. I do smaller projects, about 10-15 a year.
    AND, I have that Calacata Oro from DaVinci in my kitchen.
    When I templated I tried to avoid the big splotchy spots, but the fabricator made a mistake and I ended up with huge areas of gray, which now are my favorite part of the counter. I will dig out a photo and post later.
    Gigi

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Oh, dear. Sorry to hear about your health status. I join in wishing you a speedy and absolutely complete recovery!

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the good wishes on my colon cancer....been trying hard to gain energy and keep fighting!

Thanks Gigi for the very nice offer to help. I hope I am well on my way to getting back to the new normal but have drastically cut many things off my list as not essential. It's great to find the things are meaningful (like building a home) and the things that are not (worrying about stuff you can't control and ironing my sheets!). My DH finds it interesting that we all think obsessing over counter material is an "essential" LOL!

When you get a chance, I'd love to see your Calcatta Oro!! Divine material.

• annkathryn
    10 years ago

Firsthouse_mp I remember when you posted photos of your first kitchen and how gorgeous it was. No matter what you choose, it's going to be great.

When I saw your first picture it brought back memories of hours I spent at Da Vinci drooling over Calacatta Oro. I just love how creamy it looks. I'm going to have to vote for lots of interesting veins in your marble as opposed to a quiet stone. Here's the templating:

From Kitchen

And here's the waterfall edge:

If you want to see it in person, just email me through this site.

• sayde
    10 years ago

Hope you are feeling better!

Seeing out your counters will be cut from the slab (tempting) is very helpful and important. I had a choice of two slabs and preferred the one with stronger markings. It would have been large enough but when templated, the marks did not space out nicely and I would have required a corner seam. So I took the quieter slab, avoided having a seam at the corner, and as a bonus, the markings work really well. There are almost mirror markings on either side of the sink. I do love the subtle character of the marble and am so glad I took the quiet slab.

• babushka_cat
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear about your medical condition, fingers crossed for a super speedy recovery! lots of research on kitchen design details is just the medicine you need!

here is a pic of when i was selecting my marble. the place was very helpful in taping out for me so i could select the right piece.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

Sorry I didn't see your question before. I'm not the same as mamadadapaige, who does indeed have very nice kitchens! And the latest has a beautiful quiet marble.

And I'm wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!

• boododgers
    10 years ago

Firsthouse_mp, did you choose a marble yet? I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm leaning towards a quieter marble as well. Let us know when you make a decision. I'm excited to see. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey boododgers...no I have not chosen whether I am going to get the quiet marble or not. It is seriously tormenting me. I do have a bit of time, so it's not the schedule that is pressuring me, but it's that I like to have everything planned and in place way before the decision needs to be made. I am a huge "check list" gal and anything left undone on my list is a huge weight hanging over me.

I am investigating wrapping my vent hood in marble, which would entail a large steel frame that could secure the slab on its edge....so not only am I trying to figure out if I can structurally do that, I am now thinking that with a vent hood that will be that prominent, I maybe should be going back and looking at slabs that have more of a wow factor.

Lately my decision-making has been hampered by self-doubt....I have gone by and seen the slabs four times. I think because I just can't pull the trigger, it means that I might not love them. Still, the cost of the Calacatta Oro is almost twice the price and with the cost of everything else, I feel like I can't spend that on the counters any more.

I'm in dilemma mode...argh. When do you need to decide??

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

firsthouse, sorry to hear about your medical condition. Wishing you good health and a speedy recovery.
    If i were to wrap marble around the hood, I would vote for a dramatic marble myself. i think that would be stunning. then do quieter for the counters so the hood can shine. I can't wait to see your new kitchen!

• boododgers
    10 years ago

firsthouse, I need to make my decision right away! We are acting as our own G.P., so the only pressure comes from me. Cabinets (precision!) are coming Thursday and being installed on Friday. Basically, I've waited too long! I'm also waiting for one of the houses I've listed to close (I'm a realtor), so I can afford one of these pricey marbles. I figure it's better to wait. I had budgeted carrara marble, but I just love the calacatta so much more. I'm choosing between a beautiful, quiet Calacatta Crema and a bit more dramatic Calacatta Oro Franchi, also very beautiful, but almost double the price of the Crema.
    I love the idea of a marble hood! I'm having a zinc hood made by copperworks in petaluma.
    Good luck! Keep us informed on your decisions. I hope you are feeling better. My neighbor just finished all of her treatment for colon cancer. She was at stage 4, and she is now cancer free. I'm thinking good thoughts!

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Michou and Boo for the well wishes on my health. I continue to fight to gain strength, and I am now 9 weeks post-surgery and feeling much better :) and the best news yet is that my various oncologists have agreed that I will not need to have chemo or radiation. How lucky am I? Glad to hear that your friend with Stage 4 is now in remission. I am amazed at how many people I have now heard about who are also in remission from Stage 3 or 4.

Boo: Just got my quote from Copperworks and it was $11,000...argh. My Modernaire hood at my old house was $6500, so this is a tough pill to swallow. Most likely not happening for me. I have already cut out the Subzero, the fridge drawers, the large warming drawers and subbed half my steel windows for aluminum. Not sure what else I would need to cut out to afford the rangehood but it would have to be substantial!!

The marble hood may actually save me a bit. My structural engineer is working on the support system for the marble hood option right now. Luckily we are still framing, so putting in steel supports for the frame and slab might actually be possible....we'll see.

Are your Calacatta Crema slabs the ones at DaVinci? I LOVED those. They are not wide enough for my island so I had to delete them from my options. But they are divine. Can't wait to see pics of your cabinets after Friday. I love cabinet day--it's so rewarding!

My Sketch-up drawing that somewhat shows my idea and layout:

• romy718
    10 years ago

firsthouse-that is wonderful news. I was hoping you got an early diagnosis and the "surgical cure" for colon cancer.
    Quiet marble vs. dramatic. I really wanted Calacatta. The first trip to the stone yard was with DH. He didn't like any of the slabs that had distinct veins. I was surprised & being TKO, I kind of resented that he even had a marble opinion. I wanted him to be onboard with the decision to use marble (living with the etching, etc) so I compromised & we chose Imperial Danby. Quieter & more kitchen friendly. I was still doubting the Danby decision, up until the day the tops were installed. I love them. They softened the whole look of my white kitchen, which was another one of my many worries. Was all the white going to be too sterile?
    I think both dramatic & quiet marbles are beautiful. In my case, the quieter marble was better suited to the traditional style of my kitchen.

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 1:16

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL: "I kind of resented that he even had a marble opinion"
    That makes me laugh because I totally can sympathize :)

Thanks for the healthy wishes too

• romy718
    10 years ago

Now, we are both freaking out about possible etching. Maybe we aren't marble people afterall, which is why I'm looking into Clearstone.
    I'm glad you're starting to feel better. Bowel surgery is a tough recovery. . I'm amazed at all you're accomplishing. I loved both of your other kitchens and it looks like this one will be another stunner (not sure that's a word).

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 1:12

• boododgers
    10 years ago

Firsthouse, I'm so happy to hear the good news about your health! No chemo or radiation is such a blessing as well.

$11,000 from copperworks for what type of hood? That is pricey!! My zinc hood is going to be about $5500.

I love the layout for your kitchen!! It's going to be fabulous. Are you using precision again? What is the cabinet material?

My slabs are not from DaVinci. I'm in the East Bay, so that's kind of a haul. I have gone to Pietra Fina in San Leandro and IRG in Brisbane. Pietra Fina's website is great. They have pictures of every slab by number. It's been helpful.

I'm so disappointed, but we had to delay our cabinet delivery and install. Our finish guy is still working on things, and we were pushing to get them in. Since I'm holding off on buying the counters, I figured it didn't really matter. It's killing me though!! I wish I was as organized as you!!

Here is a picture of the Cal Crema. What do you think? Now that I look at it, it isn't really "quiet" Ugh..I hate decisions. I'll post a picture of the Cal Oro too, but I don't know how to post more than one picture. I'm a long time lurker but new poster on gardenweb!

• boododgers
    10 years ago

Here is the Cal Oro Franchi. It looks pretty white, which I like...but it is more expensive than the cal crema. What do you think? Do you think that one long vein will drive me crazy? I guess I could pick a different slab for my island.
    I also like that the cal crema will add a little warmth to a very white kitchen/great room. I literally vacillate moment to moment!

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ironically, on my way out to Precision Cabinets today to do the (hopefully) final design of all the cabinets. We have changed one of the bath cabs about three times, so I am sure they are tired of me...

I LOVE your slabs. The Calacutta Oro is particularly beautiful and I happen to really like the deep vein. It's gorgeous.

Will write more when I get back. Precision is 90 minutes from our house, so it's a bit of a haul.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Boododgers-both slabs are beautiful but the Cal Oro Franchi is really beautiful. I think you would end up loving that vein. Some veins are very vivid, that vein appears more subtle, soft. If that slab was available when I was looking, it would be mine.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 0:17

• boododgers
    10 years ago

firsthouse and romy718, thanks for your opinion! I was definitely leaning toward the Cal Oro Franchi, and now you've helped me!
    Firsthouse, I hope you made all of your decisions at Precision. I went back and forth (via email) with my sales guys, I think he thought I was crazy! I can't wait to hear and see all of your choices!

• boododgers
    10 years ago

nevermind...my question was already answered!

This post was edited by boododgers on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 12:31

• boododgers
    10 years ago

Firsthouse & Romy, I bought our new countertops last week! I went with your suggestions. Here they are. Just a little different than the one I posted before. They had gotten a new shipment and I liked these better. What do you think?
    Firsthouse, how is your planning going?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Those slabs are beautiful. Congratulations! I can't wait to see them installed. Are they honed or poiished?

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Boododgers: Those are FABULOUS! Love love them. Did you end up at Pietra Fina or IRG? Can't wait to see them installed!!!

My remodel is going well, but have paused on the counters while working on the lighting/electrical right now. I am still undecided and am sure that the previous slabs I had on hold are sold now. But that's OK, I have a bit of time.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Boododgers: Those are FABULOUS! Love love them. Did you end up at Pietra Fina or IRG? Can't wait to see them installed!!!

My remodel is going well, but have paused on the counters while working on the lighting/electrical right now. I am still undecided and am sure that the previous slabs I had on hold are sold now. But that's OK, I have a bit of time.

• babushka_cat
    10 years ago

another vote for pietra fina, that is where i got mine. owner is great, very helpful!

• babushka_cat
    10 years ago

another vote for pietra fina, that is where i got mine. owner is great, very helpful!

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got back from Pietra Fina today and I am now pretty sure that I have found my counters. A few pieces in particular were really pretty and had just the right amount of veining, the right colors and the creamy loveliness that I really like. Of course, they are much more than I wanted to spend, but I think I have found a small loophole that I need to confirm with my fabricators and cabinetmaker. A few of the pieces are 30% off because of a crack in the marble. I think I can cut off that portion and use the lower 55" for the counters, but will get a better price.

I also reduced down my island size slightly as it just looked really awkward to have the end of the island slightly encroaching into the family room. So I reduced the length by 18", omitting the side overhang. Now I can use one piece for the island, and made my island cheaper by one cabinet too. This slab is 11.5" long, so I already have a very long island!

How is it going boododgers? Your cabinets should have been installed by now and I am excited to see them :) I think your Oro Franchi slabs are so pretty!!

• boododgers
    10 years ago

Firsthouse...I love those countertops. I think I saw those slabs at Pietra. I ended up getting mine at IRG, they both had the best selection of white marble. I love how you were able to switch things around in your kitchen to make these slabs fit into your budget. You're going to love them! You're island is still huge, it's going to be a great space.

Things are busy over here. The cabinets were installed and they look great! The room is so much bigger with them in for some reason.

I went to the fabricator today and they said they are 3 weeks out...ugh. Hardwood floors are going in now, appliances being delivered tomorrow and the front yard is being redone. We're almost there! Here are a couple of pics.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Firsthouse - Wow, beautiful slabs. I love the the veining.
    Boododgers - i'm looking forward to more pics. What kind of wood floors are you putting in? Your marble is going to be stunning with your white cabinets.
    I didn't see anything similar to both of your slabs in our stone yards.

• boododgers
    10 years ago

Romy, I forgot to answer your question awhile ago about my countertops. They are honed. My floors are a European white oak, prime grade (no knots vs. rustic grade with knots). I love them!

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love your cabinets!! They are so beautiful and gives me that boost of hope that I will soon get there--install of my cabinets (same inset and Swiss Coffee color) will not be going in until February, so seeing yours makes me happy :) Your floors are super gorgeous too!

Off to IRG Brisbane today just to make certain that I have "the ones" that I love. Figured that it's worth a trip just to know for sure that the slabs that I picked are worth the cost--they should be made of gold for what they are priced at!!! Went back to DaVinci yesterday and was still convinced that the Pietra Fina slabs were what I really want.

Not sure I will have enough $ now to Clearstone them.....sigh.

• boododgers
    10 years ago

Firsthouse, I did the same thing, going back and forth to look at slabs. It's a huge purchase and you have to know you've bought the right thing. Did you find anything at IRG, or did it confirm your Pietra choice? How much is Clearstone? Does every fabricator do it, or do you have to call someone special in? I don't know much about it.

• uther
    10 years ago

I think mine is pretty quiet. No super-sized veins and no dramatic color contrast. I tend to lean toward a more soothing look.

• romy718
    10 years ago

uther, beautiful slab. What is it?

• romy718
    10 years ago

I love looking at slabs of stone. One of my friends just bought this slab. I believe she said it was a granite but didn't know the name.

• uther
    10 years ago

Hi Romy, mine is just plain old carrera, but I love it.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Decision made.....four slabs of not quiet marble! Thankfully can cross that off my list. Onward to figuring out exactly how the rangehood is going to look.

• romy718
    10 years ago

This is going to be beautiful in your kitchen. I can't wait to see it on the hood.
    Perfect choice!

• cartom1010
    10 years ago

Babushka- can you please tell me what type of marble you have? I love everything about it. Thanks!