Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minimalist Kitchen Owners

Posted by aloha2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 23:59

How much tableware do you have in your kitchen?

How many people in the home?

What pans do you use?

What do you do for company?

How many days (weeks, months) do you stock up on NON perishable foods

Assuming you used to have more items in your kitchen before, how has minimalism changed how you cook?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minimalist Kitchen Owners

For minimalist - do you mean actual kitchen design or do you mean as little amount of cr## in a kitchen as possible.

o

How minimal do you want to go? I once had a kitchen with a smallish marble sink in a smallish marble counter over three cupboards and two drawers, two gas rings (LP) on a tea cart, two shelves, and a fridge that was about 30"x42", with no freezer to speak of (it would sort of make ice cubes and could hold a small packet of ice cream for a couple of hours).

We had about 20 melamine plates, half a dozen bowls, a few mugs and glasses, and flatware for 6-8, two plastic serving bowls, three 2-qt. aluminum pots, a small aluminum skillet (7"?), and after I moved in a steel Turkish coffee pot and a wonder pot (use like an oven on a gas ring). No good knives. While I was there, I acquired utensils: A whisk, a garlic press, jar opener, ladle, scalloped knife (works for bread and fruit), a paring knife, a serrated paring knife sized knife, a spatula and a couple of wooden spoons. The knives came first. The pots doubled as mixing bowls, and mixing/stirring was done with forks until I got the whisk and wooden spoons. I also acquired some spice boxes, bread box, a few storage containers, and a pickle keeper since they were sold in bags. Each purchase of a tool was like a marvelous gift. :)

There were usually three adults living and eating all meals there, with up to four guests staying for weekends. For company, we just made more food. We used to see what kind of specialties we could come up with in our tiny kitchen. We managed stuffed peppers, tostadas, cakes and cookies, strata, all kinds of pastas, curries and bean dishes, fried chicken, eggplant parm.... We didn't let minimal kitchen or limited foods stop us. The tostadas were Oaxaca style with cabbage (no lettuce available) on homemade flatbreads. The pasta varied by the type of sauce, with the couple of basic shapes we could get. We made egg noodles for soup. And made lots of soups and stews.

Over the course of a year, I accumulated about 30 jars of herbs and spices. Those were also special treats since I needed to buy the jars. We kept the irradiated milk in the box for cooking for when we couldn't get fresh. Other than a sack of potatoes and a sack of onions, we didn't stock up on much. When you have to carry it home and up four flights, you bring in a little at a time and constantly replenish. There was a little store (like a bodega or convenience store) at the end of the block, but it was expensive and open limited hours. Most things came from the supermarket at the other end of the town or the farmers' market. The things besides long shelf life milk we stocked up on were cooking oil, eggs (though somewhat perishable) and papergoods (you don't want to be without TP when the stores are all closed!).

Even in college I had a better outfitted kitchen and the full bounty of California to hand. Plus a car and 24 hour stores. What I learned at the end of nowhere with a very minimal kitchen, minimal funds and a limited variety and availability of foods, was how to cook! If we wanted something, we had to figure out how to make it. And by "we", I mean mostly me. :)

Now I have the anti-minimalist kitchen, with every appliance and gadget I want, and a goodly pantry full of all kinds of don't have to go to the store things. Wouldn't have it any other way. :)

My advice for aspiring minimalists is not to "starve" yourselves. There's a difference between being lean and being underfed. A fork is great for scrambling eggs, but a blinkin' pain to mix cookie batter with. I can prepare a pineapple with a crappy little knife, but I'm far more willing to bother with a good big knife and a spiral corer/cutter.

OTOH, I could manage fine with some decently looking open stock plain white dishes of the kind that are made year after year (to replace breakage), for all home and company use, and I could manage without stemware if I had enough tumblers (and I do, but use them for sodas and stuff before company sits down). As it is, I have kitchen dishes, inc. the better ones that sit at the bottoms of the stacks, casual company dishes, glass dishes for the company who won't eat off of my other dishes, and company dishes for 40 (though the stemware gets dicey after 30). Actually, though, since I rent tables, chairs and cloths for more than a dozen guests, I could rent all the tableware too. It's not that expensive (though mine is so cheap it would cost a lot more to do it that way. I only rent the tables and chairs because I don't have anywhere to store them).

Can I just tell you what a delight an oven is? And a garbage disposal, microwave, food processor, mixer, etc.?

I suppose the question to ask yourself on a quest for minimalism is how much do you cook? How much do you enjoy doing it the labor intensive way? How much will you miss what you've chosen not to have? 'Cause I gotta tell you, the reason I cooked so much in that minimal kitchen is that there wasn't any choice but to cook if we were going to eat, eating the same quickie things gets boring, and the only other thing I had to do in the evenings was write letters and crochet. Cooking intensely from scratch with no tools is a lot more fun if you literally have nothing better to do...

o

Depends on what you mean by minimalism, exactly. Our kitchen is quite large, much larger than what we had in our previous home, but minamalist in the doodads.

Before we moved several years ago I did an exercise in decluttering, which was to put all our kitchen utensils in some jars in a cupboard and if I used something then it went back into a drawer. Everything not used after a year got tossed. And that was a ton of stuff, I'm talking zesters, melonballers, cake decorators, etc etc and so on.

I would say, however, that minimalism did not change the way I cook. It was actually the reverse: the way I now cook led to the minimalism. As I got older (now in my early fifties) I no longer bake, there are just two of us in the house now, and meals are simple and predictable. Breakfast is fruit and a protein pancake for me, cereal and/or a protein shake for him. Dinner is always roasted veggies usually with curry, oregano, or basil, and either lean cuisines with it or something grilled (steak, pork tenderloin, or shrimp).

I use one pan, one pot with steamer, and one cookie sheet on a regular basis. I got rid of all the spices except for the few I use regularly like the curry power, oregano, cinnamon, steak spice, basil, chipotle, and some of the mixed spices that replace the need for salt. The spice reduction was one of the best changes for me. Since I don't bake anymore, my old spices were just stale space-hogs -- now I just have a handy few fresh ones right at the stovetop:

photo DSCN3910.jpg

Other than the cutlery drawer and spatula/serving spoon drawers above, these are all the doodads I have left:

photo DSCN3519.jpg

I only kept the hand mixer because I got rid of the food processor and kitchenaid mixer when I moved and was too paranoid to toss the hand mixer too. But five years later I haven't cracked it yet. :) Gone also are the standalone steamer, pasta maker, bread maker, and countless other small appliances collected over 25 years that are no longer useful for our lifestyle.

We do have a lot of tableware and serving platters because we do like to entertain. But our entertaining style is pretty simple foodwise -- usually steaks or tenderloin on the gril, or Cornish hens in the oven or something similarly simple. Same type of veggies we usually have, and either a simple salad or a homemade soup. Oh, we do have one small appliance left, and that's the ninja blender which we use for soups and for protein shakes. Desserts are made by the Italian bakery a few blocks away. :)

For non-perishables, I stock up when they are on sale but since its pretty much just cereal, pancake mix, protein powder, coffee beans, cooking spray, and sugar (for coffee), they don't take much room to store for us.

We did get a huge fridge and freezer in this kitchen because of the change to our lifestyle. Love the freezer space for stocking up on lean cuisines when they are on sale, and the fridge is usually pretty full of fresh fruits and veggies, yogurt, milk, and wine (lol).

Don't know how helpful that was. I guess the bottom line is that I would say that it's easier if your lifestyle lends itself to minimalism, rather than tying to make minimalism change your lifestyle. If we had kids at home, or if I loved to bake, for example, minimalism would be a constant irritation. But as empty nesters who want to eat fairly healthy but not spend much time preparing meals, it works great for us.

Good luck!

o

~I have always been a minimalist in the kitchen. That comes from having very small kitchens. My new kitchen is larger but...

I have one drawer with spatulas, wooden spoons, whisks, a large spoon, potato peeler, flipper, measuring spoons and a zester.

I have 4 pots and 3 frying pans and a wok. You won't find a rice cooker, steamer, crock pot, waffle iron, etc in my kitchen. Never needed them.

In the small appliances I have an egg beater, hand held mixer, a small grinder, and an immersion blender which is for my mom when she visits.

There are four of us and we have 8 plates, large and small, 8 bowls, 8 glasses of two different sizes, and 8 mugs.

I have one set of mixing bowls, 2 measuring cups, 3 different sizes of pyrex casserole dishes and 2 cookie sheets.

I grocery shop for perishables at least twice a week and for non-perishables once every 2-3 weeks.

I do have a KA mixer.

This, however does not include my good stuff for entertaining, I come from a large family so I do have 24 good plates and the requisite serving platters and bowls which pretty much came from Home Sense or are my mothers cast-offs.

o

I was referring to having less items.

I've never been one to have a lot of stuff, but I'm finding myself wanting to unload a lot.

I have no plans to get my home down to so many items, but more get rid of items I don't use very often.

We have the family over quite a bit so I need to have enough tableware to serve with but I'd like it put away when it's just my DH & I (my DS will be here one more college year). I'm currently trialing out using just 3 plates, 3 glasses, and two bowls. I'm thinking, I'd rather just wash the few dishes we dirty right away then put them in the DW for days. We'll see how that goes.

I'm trying to remove the excess out of my life and concentrate more on life and the relationships around me. It's so easy to get caught up in consumerism and I'm just yearning to take a giant step away from it.

o

I admire your effort! It's easy to get caught up with too much stuff. Of course, I say this...and I'm having a terrible time paring down my own (LOL). Do I really need this teacup or wine glass? Probably not, but I love my dishes and I always hope I'll have a reason to use them :)

As for your situation...can you store more in the pantry (for larger gatherings) and keep the daily clutter down to a minimum? I would NOT get rid of the dishwasher, but just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. But it is great for the bigger parties!

o

Um... I don't want to be discouraging, but what happens when you don't feel well and don't want to do the dishes? Being able to hide them in the DW is such a boon, but that only works if you have more clean ones in the cupboard...

Why not make a "store" for yourself. Organize the things you don't need right now, and put them away in the garage or someplace. When you think you need something, just get it out, rather than having to think about replacing it. When you're done, really think through if it's worth keeping.

Minimalism: I have one metal cooking spoon and one slotted spoon, both handed down from my mother. I keep thinking I could do with a bigger solid spoon, but never seem to find the need to buy one.

Maximalism: I have five different whisks of three varieties which have different uses (balloon, metal ball, plastic ball, closed spring and open spring), and three different reamers (grip style, mini with strainer (for limes) and large with strainer handle). I could make do with one whisk and one reamer, but they all really do their specific tasks better than their sisters.

Suggestion: Keep a whisk and a reamer, rather than making a fork do all your work. :)

o

Perhaps I'm being to "minimalist" with my words.

I will have a DW and plan to use it whenever I have company over and when life throws a curve ball. I will likely have about 14 extra plates I will need to store for entertaining (and of course the DW would be used). Minimalism isn't about having a certain quantity of items, so much as gearing it towards your way of living. I've yearned to live as free a bird and carry everything I own in a suitcase traveling, but that wouldn't' work for me right now. Perhaps some day and I will pair down even more.

To give an example, I had for mixing/serving things a huge plastic bowl, a set of 5 stainless steel bowls, a set of 3 pyrex casserole bowls, 3 mixing/serving bowls, 3 serving bowls, and a set of 4 clear pyrex mixing/leftover bowls. All were used. To make my life easier by having less options to choose from, freeing up space (though I have enough space), and the freedom of owning less (it feels wonderful!), I knew I needed to pair down.

So far I have eliminated the 1st three sets (9 bowls) and may give away the 3 mixing serving bowls. I want to see how it goes. I'm trying to make my life easier, not more difficult. It seems though for those really large meals during the holidays, I need all my serving bowls.

Plllog, I was going to do exactly like you said and move things out and see how much comes back in (that's what I've been doing with the rest of the house). I don't bake much anymore so I've been eyeing my measuring cups. I've got 4 glass pyrex, 8 cup, 4 cup, 2 cup and a 1 cup. I use them all because they are available but I'm sure I could get it down. Likely to the 2 & 8 cup ones and life would still be easy. I've got 2 sets of dry measuring cups but some are housed permanently in the oatmeal and flour containers.

It has amazed me the sentimental pull on some items. The set of 3 pyrex bowls was hard to give away. They were a wedding present 35 years ago, had been heavily used (still I used them a lot), and did a lot of baking with the kids with them. That said they have faded from the DW and the clear pyrex bowls have the same purpose but do even more. It had made it out of the kitchen to the maybe pile. When I was asking my DS who has moved out about some other things he may want. he saw these put to the side and said he really wanted those. Of course I had to give them to him and deal with my pangs.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the web and with books (library of course - don't want to have to store an extra book) and I feel motivated and invigorated after reading them. It's amazing how freeing it makes a me feel. A kitchen is where so much happens so paring it down is more difficult. I hadn't read anything on GW kitchens so I wanted to hear about other's experiences.

“The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.”
― Socrates

o

Folllowing, as this is so very timely for mee.

o

I Pared down my kitchen when we moved out of our house for 6 months for a whole house reno. We moved into a furnished house and put everything into storage. I took a few of my favourite things and that's when I realized that I had too much kitchen stuff.

I figured if I didn't miss it during that 6 months I didn't need it and I was ruthless in purging when we moved back in and I was unpacking.

o

The best minimalist story I heard - each family member decorated one bowl and mug. If they didn't wash their dish, it wax waiting for them to clean before getting their next meal. Mom was tired of a sink full of dishes each night and this was her solution. Sink was no longer full and the kids got the idea.
Mom went back to normal dishes after the experiment but kept the special plates if the dish pile up recurred

I don't think I qualify as a minimalist. I try to avoid paper products, so have a stack of 24 plates in the basement which I pop out for entertaining.

o

I love your thinking.I got ird of stuff when I did my kitchen, but there's still too much. I have a lot of work to do. I am not a minimalist, but would sure like to get there.

We are empty nest seniors and cook not too often. We eat the same stuff. We entertain less.

And, most important, I am falling out of love with all my stuff. I never thought that would happen. In my early years, I scrimped and hoped so much, for all the stuff.

Trouble is, no one wants china or silver and I sure dont want it. I buy interesting things, artsy, not treasures. Even TJMarshalls and homegoods have nice stuff, these days. Yeah, gotta slim down some more.

o

Following this as it's very timely for me as well. I've been doing a lot of reading about minimalism lately. I am no where close to that now. We have been living in a small temporary living situation since we sold our house and are now building, what was supposed to be a year or so turned into close to 4. Half of our household is in a storage unit, going this long with all out of my "stuff" makes me question how much do I really need, and makes me want to be very mindful about what I bring into the the new house.

o

I am no longer a minimalist kitchen owner. But I am following this topic with interest!

In my dozen rental apartment kitchens it was all about double duty. Two wine glasses for me and a date, during a party everyone else was happy with juice glasses. Stackable colorful bowls were mixing, chip and salad bowls. One large saute pan was my chili pot, wok and frying pan. Two cutting boards, not six. Lots of rewashing of implements to keep cooking. Stackable pot and pan set. Nesting measuring cups and spoons. Two nesting casserole dishes because any more than that wouldn't fit in the oven anyway. One grater, one rasp.

I think it requires a commitment to double duty, to not having the perfect tool for the job (but others work nearly as well), and to the idea that you may have to wash as you go while cooking. I was also helped in my quest because I'm not a baker and never have been so I could avoid most all the detritus involved with that field.

My most useful pan is a big covered saute pan.

I eat a lot of rice so I have had a rice cooker for 15 years.

I've always had 8 place settings. Now I collect Fiesta so I'm up to 14.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 13:41

o

i have a postage stamp size place on cape cod. 24 inch propane range. no dw or disposal. minimal counter space. 3 drawers, 5 cabs maybe. i crank out pretty good homemade meals with a handful of dishes, bowls, one mixing bowl, some silverware, a spatula, wooden spoon, old chef's knife, a skillet and couple sauce pans and a bigger pot. oh, and an electric skillet. we do have a microwave, toaster oven, blender and coffee pot and crock pot. and that's really it. we do have a gas grill. it sometimes makes me feel guilty about how well appointed my real kitchen is when i can MORE than get by with the basics.

o

I like to entertain and I like to have people cooking with me. Another reason for multiple paring knives, cutting boards, measuring spoons, etc....

Not quite kitchen minimalism, but I have boxes of framed photographs which I haven't put back out, after our renovation. I'm not a knick-knack person at all, so prefer to have fewer things on shelves.

o

I like to think I am a 'minimizing' kitchen owner trying to attain minimalism but I'm not really there. Every few months I diligently go through our kitchen and remove items that have not been used in the past year (or two). I move them into our canning closet in the basement. If they are not used within the year I (try to!) get rid of them. Things I can't part with stay in the canning closet.

Doing this has relieved my drawers of clutter and made cooking more of joy because it's easier to find tools I use enough to justify their existence in the drawers. I don't miss most stuff I store. If I do, I just go get it and it reenters the kitchen and I know it has a reason for being there.

It's also made me stop buying more kitchen stuff because I really have most (all?) the tools I really need. Now I pretty much just replace stuff that is broken or old (most often nasty looking kitchen towels that get downgraded to cleaning rags).

o

I love walking into a minimalized room (is that the right term?) - a space that has been cleared down to its basics, with few items on walls, no clutter. It is relaxing. I think as life has become so fast and stimulating, I like spaces that are simple and quiet.

With that in mind, when we redid our kitchen, I started a process of purging our home as I had the guts to get rid of stuff. We just sold a bunch of oversized furniture, and have been making it a practice to hunt for stuff to fill boxes to bring to Goodwill.

But I'm noticing junk creep back into my kitchen. Too many utensils, cookbooks, glassware. Those insulated cups and mugs from various corners of the globe seem to always multiply. And I love using different types of dishes...I feel like the Imelda Marcos (the shoe collector) of dinnerware.

When I let go of things I don't use, it feels very freeing, as the OP described. But I do think the kitchen is where I have the most difficulty.

o

I have pared down a lot in the past few years as it's just me now, no husband and no kids at home anymore. I'm not at the minimalist stage in the kitchen, BUT one thing that I read a few years ago about what to buy when just starting out has stuck with me.

The author was an accomplished home cook of many decades. She said that the most versatile pan was a 12" straight sided saute pan with a lid, which is what robotropolis linked to above. She listed all the different things you can use it for and it really did sound as close to perfect as you can get! I would like to throw out my big and small saute pans with sloped sides and no lids and just get one of these. I think the article also said to get one with an ovenproof handle so that you can stick it in the oven for things like fritattas, which I make a lot.

o

Omg, I thought I had posted a big old long reply! Gosh, maybe I was being too honest and was meant to keep my yap shut!

In short, I am totally with those who are feeling their stuff is a burden and they want to be spendinh less time managing it and more time on the things that are more important to them.

I am about to go borderline criminal with mu belongings, starting, well, now...or as soon as I put down this Nook, lol!

o

A2gemini, LOVED the story of the dishes! It's not so much for me meeting a criteria as to living my life more simplistic. I don't want to see stuff that I rarely use, but hold onto for unhealthy reasons (gift, paid too much, didn't get enough use from, etc). I want to surround myself with positive vibes.

Robotropolis. I've evaluated the items I have and ask myself does it help my life enough to warrant cluttering up my mind and taking care of it (storing, dusting, cleaning, etc).

I'm not a minimalist (yet) but I'm drawn to it. I like to hear how others are working towards it.

Since last year, I've been paring down more and more. Something tugs at me when I go into a room and find nothing I can get rid of because I use it all.

I almost took some dishes from my DH's late GM. I loved the dishes but didn't want to have to wash them all by hand and not be able to MW then. They would have been stored away only to be taken out a handful of times in the next 30 years. I ultimately declined.

My DN said to me recently that she used to LOVE shopping and really got a rush when she bought things. She said though it's nothing like the rush she now gets, getting rid of stuff.

This post was edited by aloha2009 on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 22:11

o

Spankymd, my 12" sauté pan is my life! If I had $$$ I would have gotten all clad or similar, but if you want a great pan at great value, I'd recommend the cuisinart chef's classic 5 1/2 qt 12" sauté pan. Cheap and very functional.

o

robotropolis, thanks for that. I have been looking for ways to get "double duty" stuff in my kitchen. I finally had to throw away a similar (non-stick) sautee pan and have not benn anle to fond a good replacement. I cooked soooo many things in that pan1 And I think I am ready to get rid of my big old stock pot with the strainer insert. My smaller pot and a hefty sautee pan would serve me well, now. Except....now I think I brined a turkey in that pot. Or maybe it was my canner.....hmmm....

o

I don't want to see stuff that I rarely use, but hold onto for unhealthy reasons (gift, paid too much, didn't get enough use from, etc).

Oh! That's different. That's not minimalist, per se, that's just thoroughly uncluttered. I totally get that!

And I understand the feeling of clearing out. I do purge papers and the pantry and closets, and get that feeling of lightness after shedding dead weight. It's just that there's so little in my kitchen that I don't use regularly that I wouldn't know what to get rid of. I suppose I really don't need the Le Creuset pumpkin casserole or the matching covered ramekins, but they also go with my big pumpkin shaped tureen, which I do need. I don't use the steel cutting gloves, but shouldn't I? I do use all the reamers and whisks, and I could only bear to part with one of each.

I do get getting rid of things that don't get used! But I'd rather put the very necessary but not often things up on a high shelf or in the garage. Greenhaven, I can't imagine getting rid of one of my stock pots!

When I was in college and looking for housing, I thought I'd met some like-minded people who were nature oriented and conservative of resources...until I got to their house. They were so minimalist there was no joy, they sat in dimly lit rooms to study (!!) and had only had salvaged (read uncomfortable and dirty) furniture.

Similarly, I read about a family where each member was only allowed two sets of clothes and those had to be bought used--out of philosophy rather than need (they were well to do, financially). And the kids from the architecturally significant, very minimal house, which was always perfectly squared away, even in the kids' rooms, who were so excited to go anywhere that there was color and life and toys and books. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to have an apartment with a garbage disposer when I moved back for grad school! It's not that scraping up all the little bits in the sink and putting them in the corner draining bin was such a big deal. A garbage disposer is better!

I guess what I'm trying to get it is ridding yourself of things you really don't want of need is great, but making yourself poor for minimalism's own sake is sad, and I guess that's the kind of minimalism I'm used to.

o

"Greenhaven, I can't imagine getting rid of one of my stock pots!"

I spent some time thinking about it after I wrote that, and really questioned my sanity, lol! It does seem that there are plenty of other things I can get rid of before that. I do use it, but often it is only because my smaller pot is already in use, and the stock pot ends up being waaaay more pot than I really need. maybe I will just get rid of the strainer insert, which makes it more cumbersome to get the pot out of the cupboard, is difficult to clean and really can be replaced with colanders I already own. The steamer insert fits just fine in the smaller pot.

"They were so minimalist there was no joy, they sat in dimly lit rooms to study (!!) and had only had salvaged (read uncomfortable and dirty) furniture. I guess what I'm trying to get it is ridding yourself of things you really don't want of need is great, but making yourself poor for minimalism's own sake is sad, and I guess that's the kind of minimalism I'm used to."

That is what it comes down to in my mind. Adopting asceticism as a principle is way different than not being owned by your stuff.

o

we have been living with a temporary minimalist kitchen for a couple months now - we moved to a new place so we packed up our big kitchen, and decided not to unpack most of it because we're going through a remodel in the new home. while waiting for the kitchen cabinets to come in, we are living with our current kitchen but only a handful of supplies.

it's just two of us, so i kept out three shallow bowls (serves as plates or bowls), one larger rectangular plate (serves as a platter for bread and cheese or fruit), two deeper cereal bowls, two wine glasses, two drinking glasses, two spoons, forks, knives. one knife and a cutting board, a ladle and some tongs and spatula. i kept out a frying pan and one ss pan, a cookie sheet, my food processor, coffee maker and a set of mixing bowls. the dishwasher broke soon after we moved. with just a few dishes and hand washing (both things we NEVER did before), life is so much easier. no dishes piled up waiting for me, and so easy to keep everything neat and orderly.

I cook a lot at home, and this reduced inventory really hasn't hampered my ability to do most things (except baking). i am not a gadget collector but do love our collection of plates and pots, yet i am totally surviving without them just fine! (we never owed a lot of electrical gadgets like toasters, microwaves and crock pots so there's not a lot to miss there, but I am like the imelda marcos of plates and glasses.)

life goes on very nicely without all that stuff... the only downside is we cannot entertain, but with the house torn up from the move and changes, it hasn't been an issue. i can't imagine doing it long term, but once the kitchen is done and we unpack i'm taking a hard look at what goes back in the house.

a few years ago i went "minimalist" in my closet - reduced my clothes to about 1/3, and it's so much easier to get dressed. looking forward to applying this more in the kitchen long term...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here