Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becktheeng

Rixi Reef backsplash mostly finished (photos)

becktheeng
14 years ago

Well here's the Rixi Reef backsplash, we miss counted on the frame pieces, so two more are coming hopefully tomorrow.

Anyway enjoy, it turned out a lot like my inspiration backsplash...and the soapstone isn't quite as black as when it was first waxed.

The hole behind the cooktop is for the custom mosaic. I am also so excited that I got to use my sink and DW tonight!!! NO more dishes in the guest bath!

Comments (32)

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

Very nice becktheeng! I like the Rixi tiles, too. That backsplash should be very easy to clean, too. It is so good to make progress, isn't it? I have been without a kitchen for a month now and having quite a time with the stress of it, so it's encouraging to know that someday soon I, too, will have a functioning sink and dishwasher, whew, I am looking forward to it.

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Your backsplash looks great!
    Even though we built our new kitchen in a different location than our old one, we still ended up without a dishwasher for about six months after the one in the old kitchen quit working. It sure makes me appreciate having a nice, new dishwasher!

I can't wait to see your custom mosaic-will that be installed soon?

• redroze
    14 years ago

Beautiful!! That is the most gorgeous shade of blue I've ever seen in a backsplash. I'm guessing it's a handmade ceramic?

• prill
    14 years ago

Becktheeng - that's one of my choices too but I was thinking the samples looked pretty mottled. I've been waiting to see yours up. It looks really pretty. I like the 2.5 x 5 size too. Can't wait to see the mosaic. Be sure to post. It surely makes you appreciate the simple things like running water in your kitchen when you go without for a while.

• teppy
    14 years ago

that is so pretty! i've really gained an appreciation for that color blue lately. its so calming. i am getting ready to do an outdoor living area with a kitchen/grilling area by my pool. i am going to do that same blue with whites for my outdoor furniture and umbrellas.

what does the custom mosaic look like?

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Oooh, so pretty!! I really like the color combinations. I'll bet it looks beautiful with the marble in real life, too!! I loved the Grazia tiles, I really tried to make the 2.5 x 5 format work for my backsplash but it just didn't. It looks great on yours!

• prill
    14 years ago

what color grout did you use?

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

Would you mind posting your cabinet hardware manufacturer? I love the over sized handles!!

Very nice look to your kitchen!

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am totally thrilled with how it turned out.

Ok, let's see if I can answer all the questions.

The tile is Italian, Grazia Rixi, but I don't think it's handmade. There is a variation in shade across each tile that goes from the natural body color (cream) to the blue. It also has a crackle finish (something I would have never chosen, but I saw a small board of it at the tile store and fell in love).

The custom mosaic is going to be made by a local tile artist, using broken tile/stone, glass tile, seashells, etc. It will be a beach scene...think tumbled marble for the beach and blue glass for the ocean. Anyway, I think we are going to wait until after the walls are painted and the floor is in before we actually do the mosaic. She does it on site after we agree on a concept sketch....the most exciting thing is she said I can help her and learn how to do it!

The hardware...link below. I had a hard time with this. I wanted black, I wanted variable size pulls, and originally wanted cup pulls too (I thought all my small drawers were going to be slab, turns out most were 5 piece so cup pulls wouldn't work). The maker is Jeffrey Alexander and they had lots of styles/sizes to choose from. I bought them through my cabinet maker.

Hope I didn't miss anyone's questions. It's nice to realize that the project is coming together as I had hoped.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardware

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    14 years ago

prill- I used something called Alabaster. I don't know the maker, but can ask the GC if you'd like. It looked very close to the body color of the tile. I tried to match it to the frame and the back side of one of the blue tiles. It worked out pretty good.

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Really pretty.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I'm a blue person and I absolutely LOVE that tile. It looks fabulous with your marble. I CAN'T WAIT to see how that mosaic looks. Please, please, please take and post pics of teh process as well as the finished product. This will be exciting to see!

• Fori
    14 years ago

I approve!

Very pretty stuff in there, and it all looks great together.

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    14 years ago

remodelfla...I will definitely take photos of the process for you. I'm so excited about the mosaic...I shopped and shopped on line, in tile stores, but everything look too fake to me. So, I decided to ask my cabinet guy if he knew any tile artists...and low and behold his wife is both an artist and a ceramics professor. I went to their house to see her work and she took me to a neighbors kitchen where she'd done a beach backsplash and I new instantly that she'd be perfect for my job! Here price is really reasonable too.

I'm hoping I can meet with her soon to get the concept sketches going. Hmmm guess I should get some examples of what speaks to me....Sorry for rambling, I'm just too excited!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Oh man... I would love to learn how to do that. Now that would be a project I'd go crazy for! I can't wait to see how she does this!

• ptyles
    14 years ago

Beautiful!! The color is so calming and it makes your kitchen look warm and relaxing!

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

Gorgeous (again with the second look) Thanks for the hardware link, Also I wanted to point out to you, perhaps you want it that way but the crown molding above the range seems to have a large gap. Is that intentional? I don't want to rain on your parade!!!

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

That is a gorgeous backsplash! Even though blue tends to be a cool color, your kitchen is so warm and inviting! And how exciting about the mosaic!!

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Peyton- Are you talking about the gap to the ceiling or between the doors/hood and the bottom of the crown. I have noticed the ceiling, it will be filled with caulk and painted (we haven't painted anything yet.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

Both now that you mentioned it, I immediatey noticed the bottom of crown and the cabinet below it.

Fantastic kitchen!!

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funny I see it in the picture, but in real life it doesn't look that bad....I think it's from how the crown is attached to the frameless cabinets. I'll have the cabinet guys take a look at it when they bring back the door damaged from the counter install.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Oh my, makes me love blueish colors.... Great job!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

The whole room is coming together beautifully. Can't wait to see the mosaic and the 'finished' photos.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I am so sorry to "bother" you, but would you mind please taking a close up of the larger handles and posting?? I LOVE them and looked at he website but cant for sure make them out. PLus it does not give pricing at the HR site. I would so appreciate it.
    AGain gorgeous kitchen!

• kypatti
    14 years ago

Looks fabulous!- And you were also the first to inspire me with my soffit problems a few days ago. Thanks!!

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    14 years ago

peyton...no problem...not a bother at all. I've gotten so much help from this forum, I'm just glad I can give back.

The larger pulls were the 160mm Durham pulls in Dark Antique Copper ($8.76 ea). The matching smaller ones were 96mm ($3.61 ea).

I can take close up pictures tonight when I get home.

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Peyton -

Here the small pulls on 15" drawer stack:

Larger pulls on 36" drawer stack:

Large pull up close

I only used the small ones on my 15" drawers. I also have 18", 21", 24",30" and 33" drawers with the larger pull. One is on the trash pullout so I can hang a towel on it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

• jb1176
    14 years ago

Oh Man, that is one beautiful kitchen! All the elements compliment each other and the whole look is elegant. I'd expect to see this kitchen in a magazine. The Rixi tile is beautiful as are the soapstone counters. How do you like those counters by now?

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    14 years ago

JB Thanks!
    So far so good on the soapstone. I used the cooktop for the first time list night and got the soapstone nice and dirty (making pasta sauce). It has been great. I've even left water on the top overnight to see if it left water marks. I'm glad to report that it was completely gone in the morning. My stone is harder variety, so I think I'm going to like that with two small kids in the house.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I just have to mention the close up helps so much and it also allows us to see the drawer. I think it is so pretty! I would never have thought to add the beadboard to the drawer base but it adds another dimension to the kitchen. You must be so happy!

• becktheeng
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Peyton-

I'm so happy! I only have bedboard on the cooktop drawers, the rest are recessed panel with bead on the inside and outside edge of the frame. It was my cabinet guys idea and I like how it turned out. I think the 36" drawers would have been a little too plain without the beadboard.

I've now gotten to cook two meals in the kitchen and will actually unpack the dishes, silverware and glasses this weekend.

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

I love the Rixi Reef tiles; they look especially beautiful with that lovely marble. Such a classic, clean look. I just started looking at the Kitchen Forum a few days ago, and I think I'm addicted! After several days of just sort of being on the outside looking in, I finally decided to post something, and your kitchen makes me smile! Enjoy!
    We are almost half-way through our kitchen remodel...I didn't know about all the wonderful information that this site can give until very recently (after almost all decisions have been made), but I hope that our kitchen will be as successful as yours.