Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidneystreetwoman

Balancing color in Kitchen Remodel

We are remodeling our kitchen and I cannot decide on a countertop for the island - how to balance it color-wise with the rest of the plan. The wall cabinets are shaker style painted an eggshell color, and I was planning on putting London Gray Caesarstone over these as it has a bit of the buff in the coloration. Biscuit color farm sink, medium color wood floor.

There will be a small island in the center, with a 3x5 top going on it. This top is what is in question. The cabinet that is the base of the island is stained brown/black. I didn't plan to put quartz on the island as it will also be our eating surface on 3 sides and stone is so cold to lean on and makes a lot of clatter while using glasses and plates. I planned on having a wood top made, but now I am not sure this color combo will balance. The wood countertop was going to be a "butterscotch" color, maybe maple, to go with our woodwork and an existing butler's pantry (1897 house). Maybe I should use a darker quartz over the eggshell cabinets to balance the dark island??

Any suggestions? Any kitchen design principles I should consider or know other than what my gut is telling me?

Comments (4)