Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abigail99_gw

Ultra modern kitchen cabinets?

abigail99
11 years ago

Hi all,

We are just about to start our design process for our kitchen remodel, so I'm starting to research cabinets. The style will be quite modern, and we're looking for something nicer than Ikea that won't break the bank. The look we're going for is something along these lines:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-home-in-oakville-ontario-scandinavian-kitchen-toronto-phvw-vp~1202824-Home-in-Oakville-Ontario-modern-kitchen-toronto

although not nearly that huge, unfortunately :)

We did our bathroom in Porcelanosa so that's one option. We will be doing all the installation ourselves, so we don't have the help of a GC or kitchen designer to come up with ideas. Any experience or recommendations from the peanut gallery would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments (14)

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

I have the European style cabinets from Kraftmaid. Although I have used the face-framed KM cabinets in other houses, I've been very disappointed with these cabinets and would recommend against them.

• hellonasty
    11 years ago

Scavolini and Neff are amazing modern cabs. But they're pretty darn expensive.

• kaismom
    11 years ago

I also strongly suggest custom cabinets. If you want colored cabinets, you can do laminate faced or painted or lacquered. Lacquered is probably the most expensive because shiny lacquer application requires a specialized equipment and facility similar to painting cars. There is no way you will even come close to what Ikea offers you if you want the lacquered doors in terms of price and value.

In order to have modern cabinets look good, you need very very close tolerance and specs AND installer that understands that these tolerances are what makes it carry the look. My cabinets are hung with 1/8 inch tolerance.... If you are doing installation yourselves, I suggest that you buy some books and take a look at what is necessary to achieve the modern look...

My cabinets are made with Blum Tandembox system. (So is Sochi's cabs) The cabinet faces are designed to be adjusted after installation. Over time, the drawer fronts and door fronts go out of alignment and you can readjust so that doors don't look crooked. I had cheap frameless cabinets before Henrybuilt cabinets (which is what I have) and the doors got crooked and that made the cabinets look awful. No matter what you get, ask about readjustment after they are hung (and have them show you how).

Another option is Ikea boxes with custom made doors. I actually think Ikea boxes have high value for the price. If I did another kitchen, I may go that route. I can save money on the boxes and get the look that I wanted for the fronts.

Here are couple custom shops in my city. These are NOT cheap custom shops but will give you quality products. You can look at the website to get some ideas and take them to smaller shops that may give you a discount. Pay close attention close up shots of corners and see how different materials come together and how tightly they fit against each other. Typically, the top overhangs the sides by 1/8 inch only by their spec. Typical traditional kitchen has the top over hang by 1 or more inch. The countertop overhangs the drawer pulls by 1/8 inch also if you looked straight down from birdseye view.

http://www.specialprojectsdivisionllc.com/#mi=1&pt=0amp;pi=39&p=-1&a=-1&at=0

http://henrybuilt.com/

I wish you the best.

• abigail99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is great info, thank you all!
    Jxbrown, I appreciate the non-recommendation ;)
    kaismom, the Henrybuilt cabs are stunning. I am definitely going to check that out.
    hellonasty, the Scavolini showroom in my city (DC) is in the Ritz-Carlton, so that gives me some idea of price!

• robbcs3
    11 years ago

Ultracraft makes this look at a reasonable price point. Frameless with soft close everywhere and a 100 year warranty

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

Have you looked at Kerf Designs?

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

Saxton (melamine NAUF boxes) and Quality Custom (NAUF ply boxes both framed and frameless)-same company just differant lines-I carry both.
    QCCI prices around Wood-Mode (sometimes more, others less) with Saxton about a little less. Both have foils in gloos and matte, quite a few veneers and several slab door styles. Might be worth a look if there is a dealer near you. I've been very happy working with them.

• cjammer
    11 years ago

If we lived in the US, we would definitely consider Ikea cabs with custom doors. As we are in Canada, that seemed like a giant pain and custom cabinet makers here are crazy expensive.

We are getting our kitchen (in August, woo hoo!!!) from Svea Kitchens in Toronto, I am not sure if they have a US distributor or not (the kitchen is coming from Slovenia).

Christie :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Svea Kitchens

• kaysd
    11 years ago

I love the look of this Porcelanosa kitchen with high gloss burgundy cabinets mixed with stained rift cut oak. I wish I could have gone this modern, but it is too much for DH. The Porcelanosa website has some nice eye candy to get ideas.

I agree with looking into local custom cabinet makers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelanosa

• abigail99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We just had a meeting at Henrybuilt in New York a few days ago and are waiting for an estimate. Truly stunning. I doubt we'll be able to afford the fully-custom Henrybuilt line, but their Viola Park line looks like an excellent alternative. So excited to see what they come back with! Meanwhile, I'm continuing to investigate all your other excellent suggestions.

• vatobk
    9 years ago

Not sure if you are still checking this, but what did you decide?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz