Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue2012_gw

Any one ever heard of an Asian edge for granite?

sue2012
11 years ago

If you know of this please post pictures?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your posts!!

Comments (30)

• sue2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also please post any pros and cons.
    Thanks.

• User
    11 years ago

Do you mean ogee and maybe the stone person was (horribly) mispronouncing it?

• sue2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Green
    No not an ogee edge. Asian looks like a mitered edge but instead of 90 degree drop it slants in toward the cabinets at 45 degree. I think it is a newer edge.
    I like it but wonder if i will tire of it.
    Thanks for your response.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

There's something on houzz that looks like it might be called an "Asian ogee" edge. It looks beefy. Does it match your style/aesthetic?

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Is it the kind where surface tension is going to bring all the drips back down under the edge and let them run down your cabinet doors?

The 45 degree thing makes me ask.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    11 years ago

sounds like it would channel spilled liquids back to the cabinet. not a good thing.

• davidro1
    11 years ago

i have this edge.

I realized after installing it that I had seen it in France and on web sites that were from Europe. I found out they call it "airplane wing" (aile d'avion) = good to know if you want to see examples of it on the web. Key words for image search

= quartz profil d'aile d'avion

This edge works well for us. It is beautiful.

It is physically good, also. We could open a discussion about the drip edge but it's not worth discussing.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses.
    David - Could you post a picture?
    Is the slope about 45 degrees?
    I am thinking about having it on my island only and having everything else with the miter edge.
    Any thoughts?

• sue2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am thinking about having it on my island only and having everything else with the miter edge.
    Any thoughts?

• sue2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any thoughts?

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    11 years ago

"We could open a discussion about the drip edge but it's not worth discussing."

why not? ever seen a cabinet ruined by repeated water drips running down the cabinet face? I have.

a drip line (a slot sawn into the underside of an overhanding edge) is a common attribute of european stone tops. Not sure why it's not more common here except in very high end installs as it's not that tough to do.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

oldryder,

looking at aliris19's link, it seems that there are *lots* of nice attributes to European stone/solid surface installs. I wonder why that is?

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    11 years ago

"looking at aliris19's link, it seems that there are *lots* of nice attributes to European stone/solid surface installs. I wonder why that is? "

grlwprls; I can tell you why the European installs have lots of nice attributes. Read and be enlightened ....

The reasons the (western) Europeans have much more and in many respects nicer stonework are as follows:

1. there is a much longer history of stonework in europe extending back to before the founding of our country. Stone construction is part of their culture.

2. In europe there is practically a stone shop on every corner. There is also a much stronger tradition of craftsmanship there.

3. European building codes are much more stringent than typical US codes. Basically, they expect their building to last a lot longer than ours. Stone is forever.

4. European homes are MUCH smaller than ours. They tend to spend a lot more on interior finishing including both wood and stonework. Even stair treads in european homes are often stone (something we are just beginning to adopt here)

so you have history, craftsmanship, and economics all contributing to more and better stonework in Europe.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the post aliris. I am strongly considering doing my island this edge and everything else mitered.
    i tend to keep going to that edge. it is beautiful and different.
    i think it is still functional as well.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Wow, glad the post was helpful. And not sure whether this comment will be but ... I just gotta "share". Inasmuch as really the only regret I have about my kitchen is the edge I did choose (and the installers, not unrelated). I put a ogee with long straight flat bit underneath it (not sure the name) on my island. It's just a big pia; I hate it. Many here love the appearance of an ogee edge. And many swear it is not difficult to clean. But I find, personally, disagreement with both positions. My specifics may be relevant, maybe not; I'm not sure. It's possible the angle of the curve of my ogee is shallower than some, dunno, perhaps resulting in it being harder to wipe clean. But I find it a pia to wipe the little ridge. OK, maybe not as full-bore of a nuisance as "pia". But it does take an iota more care to clean than I'd like to devote to the task. Irks me.

More serious, I'm the kind of kithcen worker who likes to sweep stuff. I have no garbage disposal, only a compost and cook nearly all vegetables: there is a lot of sweeping going on in my kitchen. Plus kids and a dh who's worse than they in terms of cleanliness, which is saying a lot: still more sweeping. You can't sweep over an ogee edge, it's like a funnel sending the crumbs flying. Plus, when you sweep over the edge, what doesn't go flying in both directions gets stuck in the curve.

So that part is a pia for sure.

As for appearance, many just love the looks. I get that. But I happen not to be the kind of person who likes things because they "look" luxurious or elegant. I know that full well about myself, still, I got swept up in a keeping-up-with-the-GW-ers here and thought because it would cost minimally more I could get an "upgraded" look and that would be good.

This was very silly of me. I don't happen to care two white about "upgrades" -- what on earth was I thinking? Silly, silly. This just wasn't being true to me at all -- an easy downside to GW, BTW.

But also, I'm guessing this edge just plain looks better on some stones than on others. I have a very busy stone, "rainforest green" and while you could say it looks great and highlights the stuff going on, I actually think it detracts by becoming too busy and confusing at the busy edge. Some of my counters are straight edge and for all the reasons noted above, I far prefer them.

Not trying to hijack this thread, just to highlight some of the issues involved with granite edges because I just really didn't get what it was all about.

To me, I agree, it's about channeling liquids away from the cabinet faces. And also about channeling crumbs into the compost bucket. As well as complementing and not competing with wonderful, natural patterns within the stone. For all those reasons I regret an ogee edge. And it could just well be that this Asian edge might be a perfect compromise for you!

G'luck...

• davidro1
    11 years ago

i found an image that corresponds more closely to my version of the edge. The image is hard to decipher what it shows, but the edge is the one I have, a lighter finer version with more slope and a smaller bullnose portion.

Here is a link that might be useful: the red one

• davidro1
    11 years ago

Another example. A line drawing.

Here is a link that might be useful: series of edges offered by one fabricator in France : aile d'avion is one of them.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

These are like the edge on a Saarinen table. Would it be more prone to chipping in a stone or quartz top than some other edges?

• davidro1
    11 years ago

Here is an example of one "Aile D'Avion" edge that might be a little more susceptible to a chip if it got whacked hard. This is because the rounded part is a narrow radius. The whole edge itself in this line drawing is mostly a sloped edge, with a very small rounded top.

Here is a link that might be useful: another line drawing of

• davidro1
    11 years ago

every day for more than twenty years I have been sitting at a Scandinavian table with this edge. The table is made of wood. I asked for this edge to be made in my quartz kitchen countertop. They resisted at first, and I said "look, it's simple" and then they said OK.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. David did your quartz countertop chip - how has it held up?
    The more i see this edge the more i like it.

• davidro1
    11 years ago

no chip. All ok.

• advertguy2
    11 years ago

W� had that edge specified on our dining table when we had it built. Nice to know the name of it now. The inspiration came from our bedroom furniture. All in wood though, so sort of irrelevant to this discussion. But thanks for the name though!

• 3mutts
    11 years ago

This reminds me of a "reverse bevel" or "sharknose" edge. Has anyone "Googled" that? I'm seriously considering it for my new countertops - love it!

• davidro1
    11 years ago

I called it reverse bevel in previous discussion threads in this forum.

I did the heavy lifting grunt work of copying "reverse bevel" into a search engine, and I got good results.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for the replies.
    I am going to ordered it today!!
    I will let you know when they install next week.

Thanks again.

• zackin
    11 years ago

I wonder whether anyone can comment about the strength of the reverse bevel edge on their countertop? I love the look, but every time I ask about having it done, I'm told to consider that I'll be removing material, which will weaken the edge. I'll be using black galaxy granite.

Is this a real concern? It still looks pretty darn thick to me.
    Thanks in advance for your experience.

• rollie
    11 years ago

Cambria calls it an MD edge.

I used it on my new Laneshaw countertops..