Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shedthechrysalis

I would LOVE some glass backsplash advice :)

shedthechrysalis
11 years ago

Hi! Our kitchen is FINALLY almost done. I didn't think I'd ever say that I missed washing dishes in an actual kitchen sink, yet here I am saying it! lol We have a bit of trim work left on the cabinets and we have the all important backsplash to choose. Our granite isn't very "sparkly" so I wanted to bring in a "sparkly" BS. I don't want anything iridescent, just sophisticated and clean looking. The hubby and I think we've narrowed it down to a green glass tile and a blue glass tile. The green seems to bring out more gold in our granite, which I'm not really fond of, but it also "pops" next to our wall color, which is nice. The blue cools down the gold tones and almost blends with our wall color. I really like them both. The only thing that could make them better would be if they were beveled arabesque like Bee's old tile! HA HA. JK..But seriously..what do you guys think? I don't want to go with off-white ceramic - which was hubby's initial choice and is what he's leaning to if I don't make up my mind. I'm going to throw in a few pics but they were taken on my phone and the colors aren't exactly what we have. It should give everyone a decent idea about what our kitchen looks like though. HELP pretty please!! :)

Comments (32)

• shedthechrysalis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The color in this picture is more true to our actual colors. Just ignore the white microwave. We had just had the OTR installed and hadn't gotten it out to the garage yet.

Again, thanks for the help! :)

• tartanhabit
    11 years ago

I think I like the blue one - it's hard to tell from my screen. I just think it would look really nice with your dark cabinets too and I like what you said about it 'cooling' down the gold. Either way is going to be very pretty!

• jjaazzy
    11 years ago

Maybe it would help to put the Gtiles up again in the same lighting used for second picture so were looking at actual colors.

• finestra
    11 years ago

I like the blue better with the cabinets too. I think taking the photo from the 2nd perspective with the tiles in place would help also.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I"m not seeing how either color relates to your counter. Maybe I am not seeing the colors as true, but from what I see if you have a blue BS or a green one, it will look disconnected.
    IMHO I would pick up a color in the granite. If you don't want cream, why not one of the other beige tones or even a gray which would also blend with the black lower cabinets.
    Visually you will see white (or cream) upper cabinets, a blue or gree backsplash, black, cream and beige toned counter, black lowers. Again,IMHO, your eyes will go directly to the green or blue BS and it will circle around the room not focusing on your granite or cabinetry.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I really wanted glass - but ran into the same problem - just couldn't get it to talk to the counter top.
    Initially, I said, no subway, no white
    I am going with 5x5 in a cream color....

• berardmr
    11 years ago

Maybe you could try a gray glass tile? I agree, you need something simple and I would definitely pull out one of the colors in your countertop so, as Bee says, they "wink" to each other. Otherwise, it will look disconnected.

• eam44
    11 years ago

Both are lovely. I am a firm believer in keeping the permanent elements of a room neutral and coordinated and getting punches of color in paint and accessories that can be changed with little effort. Of the two, the green is more harmonious with the counter top, but I think beradmr's suggestion of a gray or even a taupe glass tile will give you more years of service with less potential for a dated look. FYI, pulling out glass tile in 10 years time is a ^%&*of a job (excuse my expletives). Ask me how I know. 10 stitches on my right middle finger. &%*$ glass tile.

• Trish
    11 years ago

I love those tiles as well and am test driving the blue for our kitchen. Maybe the colors aren't coming through accurately in the photos, but I am not feeling the love for either the blue or he green with your lovely granite.

I am considering 1x6 glass tiles for our backsplash. Wondering if any of these colors might work with your stone:

{{!gwi}} celery green

{{!gwi}} light celery yellow green

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.susanjablon.com/shop/glass-tiles-mosaic/tile-collections/bijou-glass-tiles/bijou-1x6-inch-subway-frosted-glass-tiles.html

• shedthechrysalis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm... You guys are right. I bought more tiles last night and mocked up the backsplash going up to the cream uppers. It was just too much color. I'm thinking that I'm going to try to find a glass subway to match the uppers. My hubby has thrown out the ceramic idea again but I just can't get over ceramic reminding me of what we just ripped out. 4x4 white counter and BS. Yuck. So does anybody know where I could find a good selection of cream or off white glass subways? I can find super white tiles easily, but my shade of creamy white is a bit more difficult. *sigh*

• namarie
    11 years ago

Love your cabinets! I think you will find it very difficult to find a creamy white glass tile that matches your cabinets. I know this because I went through this same exercise a few months ago when doing my backsplash. I looked at every white glass tile out there and even ordered one. They all seem to have a bit of a green or blue tint to them that isn't that noticeable when you're just looking at one, but when you put it up next to your cabinets and put a bunch of them together, it becomes very noticeable. I ultimately chose a light grayish taupe that blends in with my granite. If you find that a creamy white becomes difficult, you might want to just pull that color out of your granite as well. I ended up in love with mine and I hope you'll find the perfect tile as well for your beautiful cabinets.

• shedthechrysalis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Namarie - your kitchen is gorgeous! Your cab color looks similar to mine. By any chance, is it canvas from Kraftmaid? Where did you get your tile? I had a preconceived idea of taupe and had been rejecting it but seeing it in your kitchen might have changed my mind. Great job!!

Thank you to everyone else for the taupe idea as well. I'm definitely going to look into it.

• iroll_gw
    11 years ago

This site has a big selection, and they were very quick to send samples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Tile Supplies

• namarie
    11 years ago

Thank you! My cabinets are original to our house (We bought it a year ago and just changed the counters and backsplash which, like you, was white 4x4 ceramic tile on both surfaces before. Ugh.) So I'm not sure who the cabinet maker was. I live in NC and got our tile at a local tile shop, but the maker of our tile was Terra Verre and the color is Glacier. The Terra Verre website shows their dealers nationwide though. The great thing was that the tile seems to be very good quality but was actually cheaper than a lot of the glass tiles I looked at. I believe it was around $13/sq. ft.

Here is a link that might be useful: Terra Verre dealers

• berardmr
    11 years ago

Namarie, What is your countertop material. It's beautiful!

• glo1751
    11 years ago

I have another selection for you to consider. I just ordered some samples from Ann Sacks and one looks like it could possibly work. It's called Sand, Lucian Glass series.

I'm not sure of the price but it is in the list for AS basics under $14.00 on the Ann Sacks web site. http://www.annsacks.com/home.jsp

Call them and they will UPS a sample to you, it took only a couple of days for me to receive mine.

• shedthechrysalis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ann Sacks has some really beautiful tile, but it might be a bit too expensive for me. It is an excuse to plan a short trip to San Fran though. That could be fun. :)

Namarie - I looked up the locations for Terra Verre and to my surprise I'm only a 1/2 hour drive from one of their dealers. In fact, I used to live in El Dorado Hills where the dealer is located - what a coincidence! I think I'll swing by tomorrow to see their tile.

I spent most of yesterday going to different tile stores. I saw a few Walker Zanger that were nice, but too pricey and a nice Oceanside glass tile, but nothing really hit me until I saw how crystal clear and beautiful AKDO glass tiles were so I may check those out again as well. I wonder if anybody has any experience with them?

You guys are all so sweet and helpful. I really appreciate the advice and thanks for preventing my blue mistake. Oh well...maybe for one of the bathrooms.. lol

• namarie
    11 years ago

Berardmr, it is leathered Minsk granite. Thanks!

• glo1751
    11 years ago

For the Ann Sacks, it is under $14.00 a sq ft. not that pricey compared to other glass tiles I have priced. BTW, the samples were free.

• shedthechrysalis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glo1751- that really isn't a bad price. I'll request a few samples. Thanks for your suggestion!

• dfpotterri
    11 years ago

I am waiting for my 1x1 glass tile to arrive on Monday. In the meantime I will say that I saw several neutral taupes and beiges at the tile place which would go beautifully with your counter and they weren't Ann Sacks prices either.

Crystile Fog is really pretty

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirage Crystile Fog

• mic111
    11 years ago

I think the silver metalic subway tiles would look fantastic with your kitchen. I think I saw them at Lowes but when I searched they seem to show up at Home Depot. Here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal wall tiles.

• mic111
    11 years ago

Here is the link to the ones at Lowes.

Here is a link that might be useful: metal tiles at Lowes

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

bump!

• kacram
    11 years ago

What did you decide?

• shedthechrysalis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi kat_wa. We tried a few solid color glass tiles but they didn't work out for us. We then looked at the lantern tile at home depot but after I ordered it, our tile guy noticed how crooked they were on each sheet and I didn't want to pay extra to take each off and tile them individually. So we went with a linear glass tile we found at lowes. It has a lot of the granite colors in it. It took a bit of getting used to but we really like it. I'll post a pic later - I'm not sure how or if I can from the phone. But thanks for asking... :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Sorry for the OT, but what is your sink, ShedTheChrysalis?

• shedthechrysalis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi again Kat_wa. Here's a pic of the almost complete kitchen with our backsplash. It wasn't quite what I wanted originally (creme colored) but to be honest, I just got tired of the whole project and couldn't find a glass tile with a lot of warmth in it. The glass tiles have most of the granite colors in them and the craziness of it seems to tie in with how busy the granite is. (The granite always looks more gold than it is in pictures...probably because the blinds are closed or you'd be blinded by the ton of light we get in!). We both really like it now though. lol Thanks again for asking :)

• shedthechrysalis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Writersblock. It's a 33" Kraus apron front sink. We had it flush mounted versus undermounted, so maybe that's why it looks a little different. I love it. It's actually my favorite part of the kitchen. Besides the dishwasher because I loathe washing dishes by hand again. ha ha

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Thanks!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

You did good! It looks great. Your kitchen is beautiful and wow did that backsplash really set it off!

• shedthechrysalis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awww... Thanks for the compliment! I got a lot of good advice on this board and our tiny kitchen needed every bit of it. :)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County