Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memcg_gw

Would like opinions on surface choices

MeMcG
11 years ago

We are about to remodel our kitchen and I have some ideas but not sure how everything will work together.

Will be getting cherry cabinets in a shaker syle, probably with a medium stain. Will probably do a slate backsplash and slate-look porcelain flooring (is that too much?). I'd love a granite countertop but would settle for quartz. Always loved black with the combination but thinking it will be too dark and maybe hard to maintain.

Any thoughts, particularly on the countertops? BTW, the appliances will be stainless.

Thanks! Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I have those cabs and was all set to do dark countertop- I even had tagged the slabs. Ended up going in the lighter direction and I am so glad I did. I feel like the lighter counter and backsplash really set off the cab color. But again this is preference- I saw many beautiful kitchens with the darker counters. How is the light in your space?

• selphydeg
    11 years ago

How big is your kitchen and is it open concept? Personally I would pick a light countertop for some contrast. Otherwise, you won't even see your pretty backsplash.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

With your choices... I'd choose light.

• hags00
    11 years ago

I did my kitchen last summer and went medium cherry stain, darker, counters, darker backsplash, a little bit lighter on the floor and then light wall paint. Not exactly the same colors you are looking at but everything fairly dark. I really like the combination....very earthy and calm.

I am moving and currently redoing the new kitchen. I went with the same style cabinets but a little browner/darker stain and am lightening up the counters and darkening up the floor and wall paint! No real reason, just wanted to do something different!

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    11 years ago

I am a fabricator and these are my opinions of the relative merits of some hard surface choices:

1. quartz: stain resistant, moderate/high priced, low maintenance, very limited movement available, primary negative is susceptibility to scorching from hot pans or countertop electrical appliances. not easy to scratch.

2. granite (and other stones also called "granite" by the trade): low/mid/hi pricing, most colors, variation of grain and movement unmatched by other options, very durable, primary negative is staining which can occur but is rare and can often be corrected by stain removal procedures. generally the hardest of the available options.

3. solid surface: seamless, can have integrated bowls, lots of colors, not as durable as other options available for similar pricing, susceptible to heat damage. somewhat dated.

4. alternate stones (marble, limestone, soapstone): unique beauty balanced by higher maintenance and lower durability. IMHO soapstone is sufficiently durable for kitchen applications, marble and limestone/travertine are far too soft and porous.

Note in every case mentioned above the quality of the measure, fabrication, and install are important factors that can very significantly enhance or detract from the appearance and utility of finished product.

• MeMcG
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. To answer a few questions-- we have fairly good lighting (window in the kitchen and open to the dining/living room with lots of windows. We are also re-doing the lighting to include under the counter lights.
    So far it sounds like a lighter countertop is recommended. Would still love to hear if anyone has any specific recommendations in that regard.
    Again, thank you all.

• rosie
    11 years ago

Just that you should look at websites like the Finished Kitchens Blog and Houzz and magazines, and so on, and decide what'll make you do the happy dance. Lots of people love those gorgeous dark materials, so there're many, many kitchens with the full range of dark and not-so surfaces to browse over, some with layouts similar to your own.

If you need more light, you add more lumens via already well placed light fixtures. The vast majority of us are wasteful enough with electricity that it could be compensated for painlessly if desired.

When you've chosen your look, lots of people here will be able to provide enormously helpful input on how your various options for achieving it handle fingerprints and scratches, soak up or bounce off the light, etc.

• pghgolfgirl
    11 years ago

My kitchen installation will start 8/6 and it has some of the same colors that you are contemplating:
    Cherry cabinets in tawny stain
    Quartz countertop - dark gray/black with copper flecks (KeyStone Quartz "Dakota Copper")
    Dupont Laminate Floor that looks like dark slate tiles.
    The only difference is that I am thinking of doing a lighter backsplash so that the room isn't weighed down. I happen to LOVE my dark quartz countertop because the copper flecks bring out the cherry cabinets. I also like the dark slate-look floor because I was afraid that a wood laminate floor would be too much wood. (I removed a ceramic tile floor because it was too hard on my back and never looked clean).
    Don't be afraid to stick to your guns! You know what you like better than anyone. I look forward to seeing your finished product.

• pghgolfgirl
    11 years ago

Here is a photo (although it does not do it justice) of the Dakota Copper quartz that I referenced in my above post.