Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deev78

Cabinets arrived- how fussy should I be with dings?

DeeV78
9 years ago

My cabinets arrived on Wednesday and my GC is in process of installing. I saw them for first time today, they're partially installed. I noticed several areas of imperfection like dings, paint discoloration, etc. Looking for opinions on fussy I should be versus what is commonly acceptable? I don't want to be unreasonable, nor be taken advantage of. Posting pics of areas I think need replacing. Opinions welcome...

Pic 1:

Comments (30)

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic 2: above range/microwave cabinet. Looks like crack occurred when GC installed it and cut hole for wiring.

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic 3: top if spice pull out

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic 4: drawer front; looks like plaster or some gunk

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic 5: door front...not too bad but afraid the wrinkles will eventually chip away.

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic 6: joint very visible

• natebear zone 10B
    9 years ago

None of those defects would be acceptable to me. Are they brand new or were they refinished?

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Final pic 7: filler color looks off

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NateBear, all new cabinets.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I agree everyone of those things would make me fussy too...however the micro box isn't seen once the appliance is installed..no biggie..but the others you will see EVERY moment you are in the kitchen..

• mdln
    9 years ago

Unacceptable, am getting a replacement cab for damage less severe than your first pic.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I agree with everyone else. Definitely ask for replacements on those. I had a few doors, etc that had to be replaced & you are not too picky or fussy.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 23:04

• jean001a
    9 years ago

If you purchased first quality, that's what you should receive.

Those things aren't first quality.

Stop installing!

Document with images & letters. Demand (nicely/sweetly) replacements.

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Wow totally unacceptable

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I inspected every cabinet, door and drawer both visually and by touch. My GC took pics of everything I found objectionable and sent them off requesting replacements.

I would have requested replacement of all you showed excep the MW, which I don't think is a big deal. Never be seen.

• azmom
    9 years ago

I would ask to replace EVERY SINGLE ITEM on your list. Check MW cabinet to make sure that the crack will not expend.

I would question your GC's standard and skills, as well as the quality of the cabinets.

We ordered Woodharbor cabinets, the packaging and deliveries were superb that impressed our GC.

Our GC is a perfectionist. His crew also have incredible high standard and skills. Out of the box, they inspected every single item inside out. Everything had to be perfect. The installation they did is also perfect.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Completely unacceptable. These aren't just dings or 1 piece that got damaged in delivery. This is poor craftsmanship. I'm sorry you're having to deal with these problems. As said above, take pictures & document & demand...as Jean said...(nicely/sweetly), for new replacements. Good luck. Let us know how this turns out for you.

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

Ditto. Now is the time to demand replacements - stop everything until there is an agreed remediation plan. Otherwise you run the risk of falling into a "oh &*#^$ it, it's good enough, just get it done so I can get on with my life" syndrome ... which you will regret about one week later.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I agree with everyone! Do something now. I would be irate!!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Who were these cabinets made by? The quality is awful, I only ask because if these were $1,000 for a 15'x20' kitchen, my expectations woukd be different than if these were $30,000 for the same kitchen.

• aries61
    9 years ago

"Medallion cabinets in silver line Winston door." Found this in DeeV78 other post linked below.

This is not the first posting on gw recently regarding issues with Medallion Cabinets.

I was at Menards yesterday and there was a sign stating there was a 6 week lead time in Medallion cabinets. Maybe the problems with them is causing the increased lead time.

Here is a link that might be useful: DeeV78 Posting the cabinets being Medallion.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Anything visible I would expect to look perfect after installation, regardless of the cost of the cabinets.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 15:02

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Not acceptable to me! Let us know what they do for you. I would stop the installation process.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

deev78- replacing doors and drawer fronts shouldn't be a big or impact install. i too had issues with medallion silverline cabinets that were installed in may. my kd had no problems swapping out door / drawer fronts. just put a request in.
    as far as the finish, that may be a battle. i had 1 cab box replaced and the replacement had finish problems too. my kd got medallion to do decorative end panels to cover the finish flaws on my already upgraded flush ends.
    the underside of my wall cabs look raw and almost unfinished but my kd said that is within spec so not all flaws will be fixed. push now to get everything swapped out and hopefully your replacements will look better.
    ps the other gwers that did medallion had no issues but they did the upper level lines. you and i did silverline and had problems. could be a pattern?

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

I'm with the others as to unacceptable.

I remembered a new comer (or old comer with the Medallion line in 1993) with Elkay Cabinetry as of April 2014. I'd scout around and try to get these photos directly too him.

"Elkay Names Larry Stokes Vice President And General Manager Of The Traditional Cabinet & Builder Channels
    PR Newswire

OAK BROOK, Ill., April 28, 2014

OAK BROOK, Ill., April 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Elkay Manufacturing announced today that long-time cabinet-industry leader Larry Stokes has joined the company as the new Vice President and General Manager of the Traditional and Builder Cabinet Channels.

In this role, Larry will be responsible for setting strategy and overseeing sales and product marketing, as well as the overall management of the company's traditional and builder cabinet products and services which include industry-leading brands such as Medallion Cabinetry, MasterCraft Cabinetry, Design-Craft Cabinets and Yorktowne Cabinetry, to name a few. Larry will focus on maximizing customer satisfaction.

Larry is a cabinet industry veteran with strong relationships in the markets Elkay serves, having most recently acted as Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Dura Supreme. Prior to joining Dura Supreme, he served as President and CEO at Viking Cabinet Group, and Executive Vice President, Sales and Marketing at our own Medallion Cabinetry business, from 1993 to 2001.

"Larry has a long, impressive history in our industry and with our company," says Tom Samanic, President of Elkay US and Canada. "He was instrumental to the Medallion brand's success after Elkay first acquired the business in 1993. I look forward to seeing Larry lead the same level of success with our current cabinet business as we enter an exciting era of strong industry growth."

"I've loved Elkay and its rich tradition of family values and uncompromising character which have remained solid since the day I first joined in 1993," Larry stated. "It's going to be wonderful to be back and have a chance to contribute to the next chapter or two of this great American story.""

Here is a link that might be useful: Larry Stokes

• blackchamois
    9 years ago

Oh noooo way! Unacceptable! It almost looks like they used someone's leftovers. I agree with Lynn. I wouldn't move one step further untill these are repaired/replaced.

• jwal510
    9 years ago

Wanted to see where things stand with getting your cabinet issues resolved. We have the identical problems with our Medallion White Chocolate Winston/Camilla cabinets as well. Line across the top edge of the drawers, major cabinet finish flaws on most cabinets, hinges in different locations on double wall cabinet, finished flush side panels chipping, unsanded areas on doors,... Out of 17 cabinets, 14 of them have problems. We have a medallion rep and our KD coming out on Wednesday. Have you had anyone from Medallion come out?

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i too had issues with medallion's finishes. my kd got me decorative end panels to cover the end flaws but there are still small flaws that are considered acceptable. basically only i notice so yes i am picky too. medallion paying for the end panels and install was huge for me and made me very pleased with the company. if you have a medallion rep coming out, i would have to believe that your issues will be resolved. good luck and don't be afraid to point out every little flaw as not all of them will be considered a defect.

• DeeV78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sent the same pictures that I posted above to my KD and he was able to have the Medallion rep order replacements with no issue. The replacements should arrive next week. Fingers crossed...

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

Good news DeeV78. Glad Medallion Elkay stepped up to the plate. Tad strange, as Elkay cabinets are known for an outstanding paint satin finish.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus