Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb169

Need help with layout

Deb169
9 years ago

We're trying to come up with a layout for our kitchen remodel. Would like to remove the pantry "closet" that sticks out. Get rid of corner sink. Would maybe like to take out wall that the frig and pantry are on and put in island. However, pipes from the upstairs bath run in the wall directly behind the frig, so would need columns. We have no idea what to do with the "nook" and the space in front of it and how to transition from the kitchen to that space. Should we move the kitchen window and center it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Comments (8)

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

This tiny image is rather useless for the kind of help you're requesting. We need a measured drawing of the space you have to work with in order to give you workable suggest1ons. Do this and you'll get more assistance and responses.

It doesn't have to be fancy. Take a sheet of graph paper and draw it up, marking dimensions, where windows and doorways are, etc.Check the entry titles "Layout Help" in the following link to see what you need to do for us to help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me!

This post was edited by lisa_a on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 19:27

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

One of the first things I did when planning my kitchen remodel was to make a list of my goals for the new kitchen. We had lived in the house for 24 years, and knew what worked, what didn't work, and what we really hated.

For example, my goals included: more storage, more efficient placement of things (like potholders near the range), and less clutter on the counters. Oh, and I desperately wanted a vented range hood.

Some things I did to achieve my goals: move the fridge and range, to extend the legs of my U kitchen; built a wall of floor to ceiling cabinets for storage (including space that had been in the desk on that wall); include a knife drawer, to get two knife blocks off the counter; put outlets inside a cabinet, for charging phones and batteries. The new cabinets went to the ceiling, to maximize storage space.

What you your remodel goals?

• Deb169
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa_a, thank you for the suggestion. Does this help? The typed numbers are the correct dimensions. Thank you.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Yes, it does, thanks. I'll play with this tomorrow and see what I can come up with for you.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

This is a very quick idea, mostly to get an idea what kind of kitchen you are looking for. Are you wanting it open to DR completely? Or are you only wanting to remove the wall between kitchen and hallway? Tell us about your fam1ly, how many people live in here, how many cooks, do you enterta1n, etc. Designing a kitchen without knowing more about your needs means I'm working in a vacuum.

In the meantime, here's my first rough go-round for you:

It would require replacing and moving the kitchen windows. Or removing it completely in favor of upper cabinets on that wall.

The clean-up sink and DW are farther from the DR than I'd like but I opted to put them in the peninsula, not the island. The backside of the island is 24" deep cabs, drawers or pull-outs for pantry storage.

I assumed the wall is a standard 4.5" thick wall and took that into account when figuring aisle widths.

This post was edited by lisa_a on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 19:28

• Deb169
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa_a, thank you for the suggestion. Does this help? The typed numbers are the correct dimensions. Thank you.

{{!gwi}}

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Your image doesn't appear. Could you try again, please?

Also, please provide the answers to my questions. It will help me and others design a kitchen suited to your needs.

• huango
    9 years ago

How long are you staying in this house?

if for a long enough time to put in the investment, I think switching kitchen and dining room would be great.

like this as example.
    The kitchen then can have all those walls for fridge, WO, pantry, etc.
    then the dining room table can be the hub:
    - where kids do homework.
    - boy scout projects
    - clip coupons, etc, i don't know...

Amanda

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio