Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
killinsnakes

Remember me? I painted my countertops dark to help decide?

killinsnakes
9 years ago

Well, I got my new countertops today! After 2 years of trying to figure out what I wanted. I thought I wanted soapstone, so I painted my countertops with chalkboard paint. Glad I did. After a week, I realized they were too dark for my kitchen. I did a 180 and chose low maintenance Corian Witch Hazel! I could not be happier! Well, I could. I now think my walls look too yellow for it. The walls are Homestead Resort Sunwash, which looks good in the rest of the house, but not with the countertops. Darn, I just painted all walls last year. Maybe a backsplash!

Oh, and it's not a kitchen item, but I cleaned and painted the metal above my bay window and painted it copper metallic! I love that paint!

Comments (9)

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Nice x2!
    I love Corian.

• Evan
    9 years ago

Looks great! I love the way the pattern meets in the corner

• romy718
    9 years ago

The Witch Hazel is beautiful. Love those runnels!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I do so love that pattern, and it looks great in your kitchen! I remember your post about painting your counters. They did look great, but it is awesome you got the chance to decide ahead of time whether they would work for you.

Paint is easy to change! 30 bucks for a gallon of paint can finish you off right proper.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love the counters! I also like to work on lighter surfaces as I once bought a black desk and ended up taking a loss and selling it and now I have a Cherry desk.

I also feel that you need a backsplash or a different paint color under the cabinets.

• lam702
    9 years ago

I had to repaint my kitchen after just painting it, as the cream shade I originally chose had strong yellow undertones which I didn't notice on the sample card, but showed up as a true yellow in my kitchen. It made my cabinets look very yellow too, so it had to go. So I repainted it a light beige with no yellow undertones, it looks so much better. I agree your yellow paint doesn't look right with that countertop either, Choose your backsplash first, then when it is installed you can choose a new paint color. Do get a small sample can of paint though, and try it out first. Colors look different in different lighting situations. The corian is beautiful, just not with that yellow paint.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Love it! Looks great. I know what you mean about the black surface. I love how it looks but I once stayed in a condo with black counter tops and I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it. I did put them in my laundry room and LOVE them there since I don't spend as much time working over them. I had Corian before the granite and I loved how it felt so soft and smooth and was basically worry free. I do love my granite too, but that soft feel of the Corian is so nice.

Enjoy your new kitchen! Good luck with the paint. It's so hard getting paint right on the first try and it seems to change throughout the day too. I never seem to get it on the first try and sometimes not on the second. Frustrating... But at least that is the least expensive fix : )

This post was edited by gr8day on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 8:33

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Both look great! The dark paint was a great idea to help you decide!

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

How about some darker gray paint for the walls? Will give the place some depth and contrast? The counters look gorgeous!!

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling