Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleg69

warning on kitchen cabinet 'legs'

kelleg69
14 years ago

Well, we have finally moved into our new house and my kitchen is nearly complete. I do really love it and will share pictures very soon.

I have found out one thing, though--those pretty curved "feet" I have throughout my kitchen take some getting used to. I am used to nothing below the cabinets in my old kitchen. Well, in this kitchen, I have bumped my toes into the feet/legs several times. And once, I scooted over and caught my toe on the curve of one.

I just want to forewarn people about this issue. I don't think it would have changed what I did, but I think if this will annoy you, you might want to know about it now. I will say, that i wanted fewer "feet" thank I got. My KD thought I should do the number that I have. I wish I had longer expanses without the b/c of this problem.

I am including a picture so you all know what I am talking about.

Comments (14)

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Kelleg, I'm sorry about your toes...but more importantly, your kitchen is looking AMAZING! Can't wait to see the finish.

Eliz

PS. Walked into one of my wrought iron kitchen stools three weeks ago and I think I may have broken a bone in my toe. But then again I am known to walk into furtinure more often than not...:-)

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

Thanks for the warning! Having broken toes several times (I'm clumsy, always in a hurry, and always barefoot), I think I'll skip the feet on the counters and put some rounded ones just on the banquette. Yours are beautiful, though!

• michellemarie
    14 years ago

Sorry about your sore toes! But, I am so glad you did all those pretty little feet-your kitchen is gorgeous and I can't get enough of it. Please post more pics!!

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Yes to the dirt question, altho the feet pictured above are beautiful. Mine aren't nearly that pretty - I chopped some actual turned feet in half and attached them to the toe kick.

I put a little extra depth in the toe kick placement so I don't run into the feet with toes (not often you get to write something like that!) but dirt accumulates around them.

• fairfieldct
    14 years ago

I was just admiring the photos of your kitchen in your other post and one of the things I loved most about your kitchen are those legs on your cabinets(especially your island)!!Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous!I am in the process of designing an island for my kitchen right now,and I plan on showing my cabinet guy your island for inspiration.I really dont care if those legs get in my way because they are so perfect!!But thanks for the heads up..and congrats on a beautiful project!!!

• andreanewengland
    14 years ago

How does everyone do it? The kitchens posted on GW are always so beautiful. About the feet: I've done it twice before and truthfully, never had a problem bumping toes. I will say that while it may be a little harder to clean, I'm pretty big on using the hose attachment in all the nooks in my house anyway.

BUT, here's something I'll bet you never thought of! In the kitchen we're putting in our "new" 120+ year old Victorian, the cute little feet that I got are a couple of inches too short at one side of a 14' cabinet run because the floor slopes so much. By the time we leveled the cabs, one end was that much higher than the other. The solution for us is to take an extra drawer front (don't ask) and take a circle "core" piece to stack on top of the leg to add the necessary height. It's all solid walnut so we hope that works!

• pirula
    14 years ago

Ouch! No problems with toes here either, and I have same legs. Maybe I have less of them or something. yeah, cleaning's a bit of a pain. Need to get down with the vaccuum hose behind the legs. Worth it though.

Love kitchen!

• nursetammi
    14 years ago

Thanks kelleg for the warning. My feet are not installed yet (waiting for the floors to be finished) so I am glad you shared your experience. I'm expecting some sore toes here. What we will put up with because "it looks nice", we're funny aren't we?

• growlery
    14 years ago

I have feet on my various cabinets and have not had a problem. I have not even touched mine with a toe.

Maybe mine are set back just a little farther? Maybe yours are in a certain spot?

Maybe I move just a little differently?

I think it is a definite possibility, and worth calling attention to though.

I think if it's in a spot where you're kind of side-stepping between 2 places in the right way often, it's more likely? Does that describe where the majority of the trips are, or does it happen all over?

I also think if the feet are set back a little it can give your toes that crucial half inch of clearance. It may also help to box it in, rather than have the foot hanging in space, where you can really hook your toe around it, and dirt can collect around the back.

I don't know. Maybe people can help pin down ways to get the look more safely.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

I love the look of feet on cabinets (and yours are gorgeous) but being a clutz, I think I'd best pass on this. I've already had toe surgery to remove bone spurs and a cyst, likely due to a serious toe slam into the edge of a door (OUCH!). Once was enough!

Just had a thought for those of you with painted lower cabinets - could you get the look of feet without actual feet with trompe l'Oeil tricks? I think you'd have to have the right kitchen to get away with this.

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

ooh, sorry about the toes, but the feet do look pretty in your space.

• flseadog
    14 years ago

kelleg, I was just admiring your kitchen this morning and was so jealous of your feet. Our kitchen has a few but they are not nearly as pretty. The problem I have discovered with our feet is not the toe bumping---partly b/c of where the feet are located there is not real need for lateral movement and partly b/c I always wear shoes in the kitchen since I burned myself rather badly when I was a pre-teen and spilled boiling pasta water on my bare feet---but, that I can't get a kitchen mat or rug close enough to my cabinets to keep spills off the floor. I really am messy and spill and drip a lot. But, your feet are lovely and I hope you can adjust to moving around them without doing damage to yourself.

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

Ouch! If it makes you feel any better, my DH and son have hit their heads on my range hood mantle. Poor hubby is mostly bald and he even bleed :-(. We have been joking that we will need to get tennis balls glued to the corners because they are so sharp. Although that would look horrible, for sure.

It's just impossible to foresee every little detail. I do love the look of the feet, though.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022