Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mercymygft_gw

Who uses kitchen design software?

Mercymygft
12 years ago

I would love to find an easy to use design software like they use at the design centers. Does anyone use one, know one that is user friendly?

Comments (28)

• rhome410
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I use Chief Architect, who also authors Better Homes and Gardens design software for home owners. I think it's pretty user friendly. Might take a day or two to get used to it, and over some time to learn all you can do with it, but you can create something to look at in 3D almost right away, and it's great for drawing layouts, too...and making all the changes and tweaks you may want to try or see.

Don't pay attention to the prices listed on the linked website, you can get it much cheaper from Costco, Amazon, etc. The prices vary for the different versions, and sometimes you can get an older version for a really great price, and it'll still do about everything you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: BH&G software

• mudworm
    12 years ago

I rely on Google SketchUp (free version) to help me visualize design and convey ideas. The learning curve is steep, but once you get a hang of it, you can come up with designs and changes fairly quickly.

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"The learning curve is steep"

Haha mudworm! Those 5 words scare me!! But I'll go check it out. Thanks.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I tried SketchUp at the urging of my BIL after getting a Mac. I went running back to the software by Chief Architect ...Much more user friendly and more realistic 3Ds. Hats off to you, Mudworm, sincerely, if you got out of SketchUp what you'd hoped. I admire the discipline to see it through.

I've used AutoCAD as well as my current software, and thought SketchUp a royal pain, as I'd expected my other CAD experience to translate to an easier learning curve, and it didn't. I think one of the problems was that SketchUp can be used to create all sorts of things, and isn't just architectural-design focused. Maybe if you have fewer expectations to begin with, it's actually easier.

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all.... I downloaded the Sketch Up software, well that was a bust!! Obviously the learning curve was too much for me!! lol I think I'm going to try the Chief Architect software.... wish me luck!

• helsharmar
    12 years ago

Several computers ago, I used "Floor Plan Plus," which came on floppies that my current computer can't even accept. It was easy to learn and use, but I can't find an updated version. Is anyone familiar with it who can recommend a similar program? I, too, got too frustrated with SketchUp before I gave up on it. I'd prefer CAD, but mainly just want something I can use to draw lines (walls, etc) up to 1/16" fraction, that the measurements won't disappear every time I click something else, and has modifiable doors, windows, and fixtures. It would be nice to see 3-D, although I never mastered that with Floor Plan Plus (I had lamps floating in the air). Does this sound like Chief Architect? I tried 1-week free trial of SmartDraw, but measurements were limited to full inches.

• mudworm
    12 years ago

OMG, I cannot tell you enough how much I rely on SketchUp these days to help me visualize and convey ideas. Just a few recent examples: sink, framing, layout,

I hear ya about the learning curve though. I had my many moments of frustration. But lucky for me, the DH was gone on a trip for those days while I was learning the ropes. In the end, the effort was worth it (for me anyway). I got my money's worth. :)

• ideagirl2
    12 years ago

Haha mudworm! Those 5 words scare me!! But I'll go check it out. Thanks.

Those words ("learning curve is steep") probably apply to most or all home design software. I use Chief Architect, and I didn't find the curve that steep but that was probably because I didn't even try to learn it, haha. My normal approach to everything is to jump in and figure it out as I go. This was maybe not the most effective approach with Chief Architect--many times I found myself thinking, "Dammit why can't this stupid software do this ONE SIMPLE THING, argh, I paid $200 or whatever for this, argh argh argh!" ...only to find, when I calmed down and actually googled whatever I was trying to do ("chief architect plate rack" or whatever), that it could do it and it was super easy and I would have known that if I had bothered to read the instructions in the first place.

Haha.

One good thing about Chief Architect is that there are a zillion tutorials for it online. Many are official and include videos; many more are just people talking about how they figured something out.

• clg7067
    12 years ago

I've seen some great things made with Google Sketch Up, but I spent an hour messing with it and gave up. And I'm a very computer literate person.

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

I use the BH&G one by Chief Architect. I find it pretty easy to use. Occasionally I'll run into something that I don't know how to do, but that's just because I jumped in feet first without watching the tutorials or reading the instructions. I've been working on several layouts for my in-laws future cottage addition. You can see one of the elevations here(scroll to the 3rd pic.) When it gets closer to actual groundbreaking, I'll be posting layouts here for tweaking.

I tried Google Sketch-Up for an entire afternoon, and was almost in tears before giving up.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I've recommended the Chief Architect/BH&G software to quite a few people who get a room drawn the first day using it...Not all the 'tricks' learned, but enough of the basics to see a good 3D and get excited about it. I've used it for so long it's probably no longer credible for me to say it's 'user friendly' from my point of view, but I've heard it a lot from others. Obviously, different people have different luck with such things...which is probably why there are different types of software out there. ;)

When I started on CA, I'd used Auto CAD, which is way tougher...Not intuitive at all, as Chief Architect is, since you have to build everything, and it offers no 3Ds. And as I said above, after experience with both CA and AC, Sketch Up was a complete pain with less than satisfactory renderings for me.

Here are pics of my kitchen and the two 3D rendering types available with the Chief Architect softwares. Mine is an older version, so there are more up to date features and items available.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Does Chief Architect or Google Sketch up provide you with a detailed order list of all the cabinet sizes so one can do apples to apples price comparisons of the design at different kitchen shops, or even various cabinetry lines in the same shop?

I have a very hard time getting cabinetry prices from retailers. Everyone says they will give me a "good price" which is just not acceptable to me. I need an exact price so I can budget my project and they sure don't make it easy on customers. I guess most shops assume you'll just buy the cabinets when they eventually give you a price. Seems like a ridiculous way to do business if you ask me.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

You specify/decide the size cabinets you put in. It does materials lists of different components. Different versions offer different features.

This is listed under the features of the "Interiors" design software:

Project Cost Estimating

Quickly determine costs with the built-in Materials List... do calculations for carpet, hardwood, countertops, windows, cabinets and more
    Assign costs for materials: descriptions, quantities, unit costs and more
    As you add items to your design, like windows, cabinets and furnishings, the program automatically places the item and the quantity in the Materials List so you can estimate your project
    Never be surprised by the cost of your project! Interior Designer will help you plan your budget.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comparison of features on BHG/CA software products

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Sorry, Dilly, I didn't specify that I was talking about the Chief Architect software above.

• zartemis
    12 years ago

Like rhome410, I also use the software Chief Architect sells. They have two lines of essentially the same software. 'Chief Architect' is the commercial line (intended primarily for professional use) and 'Home Designer' is their home user series.

Home Designer line of software

Chief Architect versions for commercial use

The latter set of software is much more expensive, but you can get started with Home Designer for $59 and then upgrade as you start desiring more features. I am currently up to the Home Designer Architect level and there are a few features I covet in the Home Designer Pro version, but not enough to justify paying $300 more. And since I'm not in the industry, I don't need any of the Chief Architect versions.

Also, it turned out that the KD designer I hired to help used the Chief Architect software as well (she had the commercial use version) and was able to share plans with me (although Home Designer would only let me view them, not edit them) and could import my Home Designer plans into her version (and she could edit).

I found their technical support very helpful at the beginning, and there is a fabulous forum with helpful users at Home Talk Forums. They'll want to know which version you have and then will work with you to figure out how to do what you want to do or tell you if you need the next version up.

I had a question once about how to draw a door swing for my fridge and other appliances so I could see if there were conflicts and one helpful fellow even made me a tutorial video showing me how to do it!

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Thanks Rhome! Maybe I'll try it.

• mudworm
    12 years ago

dilly_ny, I don't think you can get any accurate estimate of a kitchen order with any software.

With a catalog, KDs may be able to give you the MSRP of the catalog cabinets; however, those MSRPs are no where close to what your quote will end up being AFTER they put your layout in THEIR system.

I think the best way for budgeting is you decide on the layout first (with the help of whatever software), and then you take the layout to various vendors and get price quotes.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I think the best way for budgeting is you decide on the layout first (with the help of whatever software), and then you take the layout to various vendors and get price quotes.

Isn't that what you were planning, Dilly? Get the layout, then a list of cabinets you need for that layout to take to the different kitchen shops?

Maybe I'm confused...

• mudworm
    12 years ago

My apologies. I misread.

I don't think the free SketchUp can provide you an order list.

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

Another reason why this GW forum is great! I had no idea I could print off a materials list. That's exciting. I thought I was just playing with boxes.

Really, if a mostly computer illiterate person who refuses to read instructions and doesn't watch tutorials can create full room and even house layouts complete with coffeepot accessories, the Chief Architect home versions must be the most user friendly products ever. IIRC, the basic version was pretty cheap on Amazon - and if you're buying from Amazon you should visit Rhome410's blog first since she's the CA expert. ;) Love the side by side of your kitchen vs the 3d rendering!

• KitchenCabinetKings
    12 years ago

I use 20/20 Interior Design Software. It is used by Home Depot and Lowes and most independent kitchen cabinet retailers. It's a great program and certainly of capable of pumping out kitchen designs with a boatload of options. The only problem is that this program comes with a hefty price tag. Figure Multiple thousands to get a single registration key.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Cabinet Kings Design Service

• chaparral
    12 years ago

We're doing a major remodel / rebuild that encompasses more than just the kitchen. Our architect uses Archicad for Mac. He is advising us on interior design, but our design budget was used up months ago. So I found a program for the Mac called "Live Interior 3D" on Apple's "App Store" for $39 and thought I would give it a try. It has been great. I imported the 2D PDF of plans from the architect and then traced walls in my app, then added windows and floors, etc. and added furniture. Architect and I will have discussions about design concepts for living room / kitchen (mainly so far) and I'll draw them up and share screenshots and we'll chat about it. So he helps with design direction but I do the work of creating the visualization. Now that we have it, we can use it to consider color, flooring, etc. You can add lights, change size and luminosity, change time of day, etc. and the program renders shadows etc. We used this technique (combined with very helpful ideas from this forum) to determine that we would go with a counter height eating area on our peninsula with a seat at the end. Once we had that, I figured I could get a nice 30" drawer in before the prep sink. Also used it to visualize a 36 vs 30 inch range (going with 36). Then last week we met with the cabinet guys and I gave them screenshots and ideas (including custom depth for an upper cabinet for a microwave near the fridge). It's not in any way a kitchen design program per se that will give you quantities of cabinets. But it doesn't for instance let you change the cabinet face style etc. You can change wood color.

You can import objects from sketchup, including searching for objects online through the software interface.

Here's our "fridge wall". At the top will be other top-hinged I imagine cabinets but I was lazy and didn't put them in. The cabinets (where the micro is put) are 18" deep so we can put a decent microwave in their. I showed this to the electrician yesterday and he made a mental note to put the power receptacle in the cabinet above it. Also told us to have the cabinet guy put in a shelf that would support the weight of the microwave so we don't have to hang it.

Right now I'm modelling different sizes of range hoods from ProLine to figure out which one will both look good and give us 1000+ cfm venting.

Here is the range wall (opposite fridge on end of U) with the geometry of this hood:

http://www.prolinerangehoods.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32_46&products_id=200

Here is a rendering:

I created the range hood geometry by adding 2 blocks and giving them a metal surface texture. To the right of the range we **could** fit a 24" Miele Chef. I'm going to defer this purchase, but based on this modeling we're going to run conduit now, and put in Miele-friendly drawers so in the future if we want to add it we'll be able to without totally ripping apart everything.

Really easy to use program if you're Mac-centric like me. Great tech support too.

http://www.belightsoft.com/products/liveinterior/overview.php

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lax, you give me too much credit! I only brush the surface of CA's capabilities. Just enough to get layouts and pretty renderings! ;-) (And don't ask me to do special rooflines or ceilings...Somehow mine always come out weird, but I haven't done the work to find out the 'right' way. lol)

I now have a Mac and have been so disappointed by what's out there for designing on a Mac. Everything's so much work (not user-friendly in terms of time to learn and time to produce a drawing), and although helpful and somewhat attractive, you can definitely see the difference between a CA rendering at much less work than that in the LiveInterior rendering...WIth, no offense to the person doing it, because it's the nature of the program, the more illustration-like objects and the counter that doesn't flow together.

One day I'll get Windows for Mac and install CA software...But I keep hoping CA will come out with something Mac-friendly! For now, I go back to my hated PC laptop to use the design software.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

I'm reviving this thread because I need to pick software. We've tried Sketch-up. Okay, hubby has tried Sketch-up and it works well but he's already pretty familiar with CAD programs. I'd have a steep learning curve.

I tried playing around with Ferguson's software (free) after seeing the gorgeous 3-D rendering of bakerboston's kitchen but I don't think it will work for me. Our kitchen is mostly a rectangle but the entry wall has a few jigs and jogs in it (cabs next to pantry are partially inset in the powder room wall) and Ferguson's doesn't seem to like that at all. For instance, it won't let me adjust a side wall to less than 36" wide. It could be user error (who, me?!) but if not, this is a pretty ridiculous constraint. But it's free so really, I shouldn't complain. I'd be more miffed if I'd paid for it!

So I need software that is fairly straight forward, specific to kitchens and baths preferred but will allow me to draw a room that has some minor quirks.

Does it sound like CA is my best bet? We're PC users, not Mac. TIA!

• TNTDAVID
    9 years ago

Hello

If you want a software able to realize your projects from A to Z home.

Do not hesitate to turn to SketchUp.

It offers a Bank of 3D image where you will find almost all trade products.

Thus, it will be possible to make your home by winning some time.

There are also many innovative Plugins, such as" Click-kitchen "which allows you to organize your kitchen IKEA in just a few clicks. "

I think that this information, will advance this issue.

Kind regards

David Barros

Here is a link that might be useful: Download Click-Cuisine

• morganjk
    8 years ago

I have worked with many suppliers over the years and almost everyone of our designer and dealer customers have used 2020. Content is the key with 2020 offering the largest selection of brand specific catalogs ... by far. There are so many benefits to both designer and consumer in being able to design and price using the brands that will be in the home.

And now many of the dealers are starting to use the virtual reality tools so that their clients feel like their are standing in the middle of their future room. That's the future for sure.

• PRO
    The Keeping Room Design
    8 years ago

LOOKING FOR USED: 2020 Technologies Design Key and Software. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

• Ella Ignatieff
    7 years ago

I have a 20/20 key that I have never used. Message me if you are interested. I am also looking for a Kitchen Designer to do up colored renderings for my clients if anyone would like to do contract work. ellasondesigner@gmail.com