Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Design question: Island Pendant Lights - Black or Brushed Nickel?

Posted by Sarah_Smith841 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 23:02

In our kitchen remodel, we have white cabinets with GO granite and brushed satin nickel hardware. We have stainless steel appliances. We chose some pendant lights for the island and now need to select the color for those lights... brushed nickel or black?

The kitchen is open concept, and I was told that black would be OK because there are other black elements in the kitchen (like parts of the oven, microwave, range). And, since the kitchen opens up to the family room, there is black there (TV, etc.)

However, I see pictures of kitchens with white cabinets online, and it seems that the island pendants match the hardware. So, I'm undecided...

Should the kitchen fixtures match the hardware or not? Does it matter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Design question: Island Pendant Lights - Black or Brushed Nic

No, the fixtures don't have to match the hardware. It really comes down to how it will look as a whole and your personal preference.

Are you able to post some pictures?

Here is one and it looks like the hardware is a distressed nickel, or something similar.

o

I chose the pendant color after the cabs, counters and sink were in. I bought pendants in a couple of different finishes at the local big box, and carefully held them up to see which I liked. Then I carefully repacked and returned them. It was a lot easier to choose the color when I could see it in the space. I did this with the hardware, too, and I was surprised that the finish I expected to use didn't work. So keep an open mind - there might even be other options in the "gray or black metal" family that could be perfect.

o

I personally think it looks good when there is some variety versus everything matching. IMO black is always a good accent. I agree with Ginny-- get a couple of different ones and see what you like. You can also do what some posters here have done-take a picture of your space and then either use photoshop or PowerPoint to paste in pictures of pendant options. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here