Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottielee1119

Traditional Modern Pearl White Kitchen in New York City

scottielee
14 years ago

hello,

thanks to everyone here for generously sharing their renovating experiences, ideas, and wonderful pictures. here are some shots of my little kitchen renovated last year...better late than never right ^_^

cheers

scott

Cabinets: Omega Signature, Maple in Parisian Pearl

Countertop: Statuary White Honed Marble

Islandtop: Craft-Art Brazilian Cherry

Backsplash: Bisazza Damasco Bianco Glass Tiles

Floor: Casa Dolce Casa/Casamood Neutra Silver Porcelain Tiles

Range: Wolf Duel Fuel DF304

Hood: Wolf Pro Wall PW302718

Dishwasher: Miele LaPerla G2830SCi/SS

Refridgerator; GE Monogram

Sink: Franke Kubus KBX-110-21

Faucet: Grohe Ladylux Cafe 33755SDO

Hardware: Bouvet Knobs 5201-25 and Bouvet Drop Pulls 5002-10 & 5008-18

Pendants: Flos Fucsia 1

Undercabinet Lighting: Kichler 10560WH & 10566WH

Stools: Emeco Kong and Emeco Stool

Comments (66)

• fleur222
    14 years ago

Everything in your kitchen is special, the shiny stools and the combination of the two types, tile floor with a great pattern, the iridescent tiles, the gorgeous wood island top, even the tone of white on the cabinets, the unique lights, and geez even marble! No wonder it works! Beautiful.

• lagrant
    14 years ago

Stunning. Sigh. Absolutely wonderful. You have SUCH style - love love love the Emeco stools. Brilliant. I adore the modern take of old wood herringbone floors. I can't get this post finished because I keep scrolling up for another look.

• trav86
    14 years ago

Fabulous! You did an amazing job. (And I covet those stools.)

Another New Yorker here wants to know if yours is a brownstone kitchen.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

I cannot stop coming back to look at this amazing kitchen. I've also become convinced that you are either a professional designer or that you used one. (I think those Starck stools give it away :-) Which and who? And, yes, tell us more about context - townhouse or pre-war apartment? What's on the other side of the island? I guess you can tell I'm just a tad interested in knowing more, huh?

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

I have looked at your photos 6 times and still don't know if I can convey how beautiful I think it is. Such a gorgeous design and perfect details. The backplash, the bar stools, the pendant lights and the island top are such great touches in addition to those beautiful cabinets. (Insert very big sigh) Enjoy!

• nicoletouk
    14 years ago

Beautiful beautiful kitchen, scottielee. Everything is just... beautiful.

Nicole

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

well, thank you very much! i can't tell you how many times i've been in nyc apartments that have the SAME kitchen! it's always very hard lined, way too sleek for comfort, ultra modern and DARK. nothing against it, but it becomes expected after a while, kwim?
    what a wonderful job! thanks for posting and i hope you enjoy!

• dirtymartini
    14 years ago

Your kitchen literally brought a tear to my eye! I am saving your images, because I am doing white cabinets, BB counter tops (with something different on the island, haven't decided what yet) but more importantly...I LOVE the juxtaposition of modern stuff with traditional, matte with shiny, etc. This is the look I am going for, it cannot be pigeonholed into one "style" yet it all works. Thank you for posting!!!!

• donka
    14 years ago

So beautiful! I love everything about it, fantastic job!

• lovlilynne
    14 years ago

I love it too. Stunning. You HAVE to put it into the finished kitchen blog - other people need to see what they can do with a NYC kitchen.

• tearose21
    14 years ago

Absolutely sublime!! Great job.... having me second guessing some of my choices!! Congratulations. Trisha

• ktam_88
    14 years ago

What a beautiful and elegant white kitchen! You've really done a terrific job of tying everything together nicely. I especially love the backsplash and floors. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Very well thought out, every detail.

• bestyears
    14 years ago

Wow -one of the most beautiful kitchens I've seen here! I am in the midst of doing a cottagey kitchen, which is a long way from what you did, and tend to go for that look in general, but I completely LOVE your kitchen! Every detail is perfect!

• ebse
    14 years ago

Awesome! I love it.

• scottielee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

you guys are too kind! i truly appreciate all of your encouraging comments.

to answer some of the questions, my home is an apartment in an 125+ year-old 11 story brownstone landmark building that has a traditional and complex exterior. i chose traditional cabinets in spirit of the building's original design and chose pearl white as the base to contrast my other aspirations for the modern and efficient. facing the kitchen is the dining room which has been taken over by my kids' toys and unopened boxes since the renovation...a year ago...

i had a tough but fun time researching and purchasing everything myself (down to the Hubbell electrical receptacles). it was not easy settling on the statuary white marble and i kept worried about staining and etching. to the full credit of discussions in this forum, i've gained enough confidence and courage to go for what i really want : )

the Emeco Kong stools were love at first sight for me in a furniture store. they are military grade and almost entirely handmade of recycled aluminum. i wasn't sure how they would complement my kitchen. but being the reckless hothead that i am, i bid the bullet...as the whole apartment renovation was a dizzying dose of self-indulgence.

if i could do this professionally...it would be a dream come true.

cheers!
    scott

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Scott, you should do this professionally! Your sense of style, proportions, color, materials, etc. is simply awesome!

• ella_socal
    14 years ago

Wow, I don't say this often, but that looks GREAT! Love your combination of materials.

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

WOW! Magazine worthy! Everything about it is just gorgeous. And the best part is that you can see it is a working kitchen. Way to go, Scott.

• amykath
    14 years ago

Exquisite! Wow. It is simply perfect.... every detail.

• ainsley
    14 years ago

I never bookmark things but I just did. I want to be able to get back to your kitchen whenever I want. Phenomenal job!
    A.

• minette99
    14 years ago

Every detail is just so beautiful. I love how your kitchen shimmers. And I love the different finishes. You've proved how gorgeous a smaller space can be and really you've done a spectacular job with your kitchen. Love the backsplash, the floor, the marble, the island, the cabinets -- mostly would love to hang there!
    Big Bravo to you!! :)

• budge1
    14 years ago

Wow.

Okay, is it just an illusion or is there a damask pattern somewhere in that splash? If it is, how the heck do they install that so the pattern comes out?

Love everything.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

Bisazza Damasco Bianco Glass Tiles

oh my goodness, I just noticed that damask pattern also ; even more stunning than I initially thought. I googled the tile name ; it also comes in more colorways.
    I keep coming back to click on this kitchen; I rarely want to rip our my new kitchen but this one is so attractive to me.

• redroze
    14 years ago

Wowee...I just love it! Now there's a glass backsplash to die for and your stools are romantic and awesome.

• scottielee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks again for all the nice comments!

Bisazza glass tiles are very easy to install. they come in mesh sheets prearranged and numbered. the matching epoxy grout is also very durable and stain resistant. highly recommended!

• shelayne
    14 years ago

*droooool*

I love it! That backsplash is gorgeous! I looked at Bisazza glass tiles once--maybe I should look again!

I absolutely LOVE your island top. That is the look we are going for!

Just gorgeous!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness! This exquisite kitchen belongs in a blue Tiffany's box! Well done!

• november
    14 years ago

I am panting and drooling over your backsplash! The whole kitchen is delicious, but that backsplash - wow... We finished our kitchen renovation 1.5 yrs ago and never got inspired to do the backsplash, but now I think I'm inspired.

well done!

• kelvar
    14 years ago

Bookmarking! I want the island countertop, the floor, the backsplash...well, everything! Congrats on a job superbly done.

• suri5
    14 years ago

Hi
    I love your kitchen it is really stunning.
    I have a question about your countertops. I am thinking of doing honed white marble with dark cabinetry (very modern kitchen). I just love the look of white marble countertops. Almost everyone I know is trying to talk me out of white marble due to staining, etching etc. Would love your thoughts. Are you having to be very careful? Not sure how long you have been using your kitchen......seems like it's quite new. Thanks so much!

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

This looks like a little jewel box. Absolutely gorgeous.

• annes_arbor
    14 years ago

This is a gorgeous renovation. I love everything about it. What a cool idea to use 2 different style stools.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Wow. Just wow. Absolutely droolworthy.

• scottielee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks again for all of your kind words!

regarding the countertop, we have been actively using the kitchen for about a year now without being overly careful about staining. we have left plenty of oil and juice (apple, grape, orange...) on the marble overnight or longer that were wiped clean and not leaving any marks. however the marble does etch easily. there are plenty of etch marks which blend in fairly well with the marble's veining and can only be seen at certain angles.

i think the beauty of white marble outweighs way more than the etching issue.

• laurap_2007
    14 years ago

Absolutely stunning....great mix of traditional and modern. And I'm loving that floor!

• debbie_123
    14 years ago

Scottilee, your kitchen is just beautiful! I love everything, but I would especially love some information about your Brazilian Cherry counter. Could you share any information about how your counter is standing up to daily use? I guess you prepare your baked goods on your marble counters. Do you prepare food on your counter? How do you protect your wood countertop from scratches or marks? And I just have to know, how did you come up with the idea of laying the floor tiles in that beautiful pattern? It's just so neat!

• scottielee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks laurap2007 and debbie123

the Brazilian cherry top is fairly scratch resistant but we often use plastic, vinyl and cotton matts underneath plates and cutting boards. there is hardly a scratch after a year of use and 10+ parties. i was told to apply special coating every year.

as for the floor, i first thought about getting wood but worried about water damage. then i found these porcelain tiles in 4" x 24" and immediately thought of using them like wood and in a pattern that would make the space look wider. doing the catwalk in a zigzag fashion came to mind...^_^

• jiggreen
    14 years ago

It is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! I love the iridescence of the backsplash!

• katieob
    14 years ago

Whoa, how did I miss this?
    I absolutely love your kitchen, Scottie!

That backsplash!
    Those stools!
    The orange Tripp Trapp chair (:

What an eye for design you have-hope you're enjoying it & I'm encouraged by your marble experience thus far.

Did I mention I love those stools? They have an amazing "liquid" quality..

Enjoy!

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

absolutely gorgeous-I went looking for these Omega Signature cabinets, but the only distributor in Maryland is Direct Buy. Did you get yours through a buying club? I think that I may have to copy that incredible backsplash. Lots of loveliness to take in here!

• scottielee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks jiggreen, katieob, and scrappy25!

i did order the Omega Signature cabinets through DirectBuy which was a great experience. check out Omega Dynasty available at HomeDepot. i think the Signature and Dynasty lines are very similar.

• Susan
    14 years ago

oh wow-- that's such a gorgeous and glam kitchen!!
    i'm considering a remodel instead of selling, and now i have my inspiration!

so, when can you get away to vermont for a consultation?!

• polie
    14 years ago

You and a different poster Mrs.Limestone have posted some of THE most beautiful kitchen redesigns I think I've seen here. Congratulations.

• scottielee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

so excited about my fantastic new addition!
    all-clad copper core 3qt pan
    perfect size for meals for 4
    love the wok-like heat distribution properties
    it's a joy frying steaks and stir-frying vegies in this pan
    great price too $150 for all-clad copper core from williams sonoma

Here is a link that might be useful: williams sonoma

• bfor
    13 years ago

Hi Scottielee,

Saw your kitchen photos last year and never got their beauty out of my mind. Am looking at purchasing the Kong Stools and was wondering how the high-polish finish has held up for you. I'm tempted to get the brushed finish (SOOO much less costly!) but think it will not provide the same "look".

Thanks! B.

• catherinenbrooks
    13 years ago

the kitchen design looks so innovative. thanks for sharing

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchenaid

• Saljean
    12 years ago

It is SO nice to see a small kitchen designed so beautifully! It is wonderful! I was always a "wood" girl, but in the last couple of years have gotten so tired of my old oak cabinets (but have no budget for replacement) that I think I'm going to paint them. Either a creamy white or a light gray/green.

Most people (including a good number on this site) have no idea how small some real kitchens can be! Mine is barely 9'x10' but because the adjoining dining room is also small it really leaves no room for a proper island. Unless I do THAT room over too and that's not going to happen! But maybe I need to brainstorm to find a way.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

• HomeNoobie
    12 years ago

OMG.. i am IN LOVE with this kitchen and DROOLING over that backsplash tile! does anyone know around how much this is?

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm