Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lajoanna

My new kitchen - need your feedback! take 2 with layout

lajoanna
10 years ago

I love gardenweb and all your ideas/feedback/comments etc.
I am gutting a kitchen
*using American Woodowork cabinets from home depot (reading maple linen). White shaker type
*gray counter - probably caesarstone
*white carrara marble 3x6 subway tile backsplash
*under-mount stainless sink
*36 inch viking range (from current house) w chimney hood
Looking for your feedback! Let me know your thoughts and opinions. I want them. '

This post was edited by lajoanna on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 23:03

Comments (9)

• lajoanna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More pix.

• lajoanna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i know i need to add a counter on the fridge wall

• carealot
    10 years ago

Right now you have a really big walking area with your triangle. I would place an Island in the center, move stove to Island, and stick fridge where stove is. Use other side of Island for stool seating.

• carealot
    10 years ago

If you're not able to move your stove, then I would get rid of the counter space you have sticking out, stick fridge there and still do an Island. Just use cabinets to make your Island so you still have storage.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like it! The stools are handy for the prep area, but separate from your main work area. All the windows are nice, too. Are you planning to have a table there or maybe just a window seat?

• lajoanna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was going to do a built in banquette with a table. Thinking tulip base and maybe use the left over counter material or a complimentary stone. Also would not mind using bar stools at table - since i have kids.

I also was going to get one or two Ghost chairs to sit.

• lajoanna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My concern on the island is that we would be squeezing it in.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I like it too. Although being me I'd probably uncenter the sink to get more work room on the stove side.

Since like you I don't really need counter seating, I think I'd at least play with the possibility of cutting off the peninsula counter to see how I liked that. It would open up the room, and probably particularly benefit the dining/socializing area, which would no longer be tucked into the rather compact space formed by the peninsula counter. Very little work space would be lost since all counter on the outside wall would be usable (no corner). Anyway, most of my work would be at the other end, rather than facing the table, which is what I would like the peninsula for. I could then add another 3' of tall storage on the inside wall.

Whatever, I also really like your current finish choices. I'll take the whole package, no changes. :)

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

how many formats have you drawn up without the peninsula? One note as well, there is no patio door....is it true the only passages to other rooms are down from fridge and next to range...[nothing going outside??].As per rosie, once you eliminate peninsula, I would look at range placed between two windows on long wall, a rearrangement of sink and fridge, but you'd gain the several feet on inside wall.... down from fridge.....place a small sink there and a slightly smaller cleanup sink further up on long wall,for example. The reason I might do it without peninsula is the fact of the closed space....especially banquette end,,,,,and I would want a lot of options with banquette table/bench and chairs around it.....the peninsula seating doesn't provide you with anything the banquette can't accomplish with it's variety and number of seating positions....It seems it will be a destination and I would want to maximize that.