Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mssparkle

Need Desperate Help : Layout Design

MsSparkle
10 years ago

I am in the process of redesigning my kitchen but need some help! The kitchen will be moved to a space of approximately 18' x 12' although I think that makes the kitchen too big for the home. I would like to some how partition it with a pantry or even a sitting area. I am open to moving the window. Please help!

Appliances We Have - All are stainless steel and not integrated
36" Subzero Stainless Steel French Door fridge
36" Wolf Gas Cooktop
30" Wolf E Series Oven
30" Wolf Microwave Drawer (desired)
24" Miele Steam Oven
24" Miele Warming Plate Drawer
24" Miele Built In Coffee Machine
24" Fisher & Paykel Double Dishwasher Drawer

No range, sinks, etc yet.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Hard to believe you can get all those large scale appliances in a space only 12 x 18. Most master bedrooms are larger than that. Why not post some pics of the existing kitchen?

Where is your existing plumbing and electric located in the space? Can it be moved or are you on a slab foundation? Do you want to eat in this kitchen or simply have stools at an island?. Where is the dining room in relation to the kitchen?

The photo I have attached illustrates a kitchen a bit larger than 12 x 18, doesn't have all the appliances you have on your list, and isn't cut up with 2 large windows. You can see that there is an eating area adjacent to the kitchen and the pantry is located in an another space beyond the fridge.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

18x12 is not super large and that is a lot of big appliances you have in the list. Do you have a layout draft you are thinking of? Are you thinking to have an island between the kitchen and family room?

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Which window are you open to moving? Is there a door to your backyard? Where does the door near the bathroom lead? How does this level of the house flow? Is the Main entrance to family room / kitchen through the area you have marked "stairs?"

Do you need a range if you have a gas cooktop and oven?

Why do you feel a 12x18 kitchen maybe disproportionate to your home size? I think an open kitchen / family room is a common great room design.

Do you want an island with seating? Or a dining table? What kind of furniture do you intend to have in your family room? Is a tv on a wall a priority? If so, Beverly27's picture is probably your only option as the back wall is all windows. How do you feel about people seated on couch facing away from kitchen? I have this layout and I like it, but I point out to you things I had to consider.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I think it's just the warming drawer and the built in coffee maker that are going to make things tight. But the layout is going to be crucial, and because of the amount of things that are going to take extra Cabinet space, as opposed to extra cabinet run space, you may need a dedicated pantry.

• MsSparkle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for your feedback and apologies for the delay in responding. I couldn't find the thread until today when it popped up in the search engine.

For background, this is not a big home but is typical of the size in this area of Toronto. I was under the impression that the appliances we got were pretty much the smaller side. We had a 48" cooktop and exchanged it for the 36" instead.

beverly27 - There is no plumbing and will all need to be done. No eating space other than an island with stools is required in the kitchen area. There is a seperate dining room at the front of the house. I know a 12x18 kitchen is not huge but it is HUGE for this home and an overkill.

Gwlolo - yes, thinking of an island between kitchen and family room. The cooktop will go on the island and sink by the window to the backyard.

dilly_ny - Half the wall is an accordian door to the backyard. If I don't extend the kitchen all the way to the end, I would make the whole back of the house into a big accordian door to the backyard. The main enterance is through the stairs area - it is a backsplit house. One floor is only about 1200 sq foot so it is not a big house.

I meant range hood an dnot a range - don't need a range.

The TV is on the other wall opposite to hte kitchen. Having a TV on the wall is a priority. Family room will have a couch and coffee table. The dining room is at the front of the house - I much rather use the space by the kitchen as a family room rather than dining.

palimpset - I was thinking I will have the coffee maker, warming drawer and steam oven as one stack which is only 24". Then I have the oven and microwave on another stack at 30". Too much? I have been playing around in Chief Architect and it is a bit crammed.