Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktrud_gw

Latest layout...need advice PLEASE! Ordering cabinets next week!

ktrud
14 years ago

Okay, so many of you have been so very helpful with this whole process...we actually switched the entire kitchen around based on comments received here. So, here is my latest layouts (preliminary) from our KD - I like it so far, but am I missing something big?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of plan...look at NEW PLAN

Comments (15)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

A little worried about a conflict between the open dishwasher and the range or fridge...I can't tell which side it's on.

Maybe a bit tight behind bar stool closest to the pantry.

I see no advantage to the raised bar, only disadvantages. Usually people want to do this to block the view of the sink from the next room, but yours isn't open to another room...and that doesn't always work, anyway. If it's all one height, you have a couple big/deep work areas to each side of the sink and people can work from the opposite side, which I see as the best advantage of an island. If it's raised, it's pretty much only good for seating, and is the same as a counter up against a wall. I just think the island can serve you better in more ways if it's all counter-height.

Best wishes!

• ktrud
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks...the dishwasher and stove might conflict, but I'm willing to take that chance since we never have both open at the same time, and I really want it on the right of the sink!

We've been pondering the raised bar, but our sink area really is the messiest spot in our kitchen. Our current picture doesn't show it, but our kitchen is open to our dining and living room - one big space. They are off to the left of the sink if you're standing at it.

I was thinking of how to cut down on the mess, and maybe if we had one big sink bowl versus two separate, we could put dirty dishes right in the sink until we were ready to clean up. What do you think?

• Fori
    14 years ago

A big sink does help with dish mess. Something that helps my messy family with dish mess is a drawer dishwasher instead of a standard one--there is always (well, usually) a place to directly dump dirties, even if you're running the other half of the DW. Drawer DWs also help in tight spots because they don't take up as much room when open and you don't even HAVE to open them all the way to do a quick dish drop, so you might want to see if that kind of DW would work for you.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Is this plan turned upside down from the original plan orientation? What happened to the windowin the desk area?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I don't know why the raised counter would hide anything from the side view? I would let the dishes hide in a nice, deep sink, rather than let them gather on the counter.

• ktrud
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fori - thank you for posting the picture like that! I still haven't figured out how to get that to work!! We already have a dishwasher (that's our only appliance we're keeping from the old house) so we'll have to work with that.

Palimpsest - yes this is the old plan turned upside down - I switched walls for the kitchen to get the stove off the island, and there IS a window over the desk area. One thing I am considering is putting the fridge over in that area, and doing a cabinet pantry...any thoughts?? My DH thinks that puts the fridge too far away, but I thought it would be nice to have all the food "storage" in one spot.

Rhome410 - I'm trying to get DH to see it that way too...we have 2 little ones (ages 2 & 4) and I think the flat island would be our best bet (I can't believe I'm actually saying that!) but DH really doesn't want to see the mess!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

My personal preference would be a cabinetry pantry although the closet style pantry would be less expensive. I think I would leave the fridge apart from the pantry,like you have it.

Do people really pile dirty stuff around the sink when there is a DW right there? I am not being a smartass...but literally the only time there has been a back up of dishes in our kitchens is with Major holiday cooking --other than that most things go right into the DW....One good reason to do a flat island is to NOT have a place to hide things.

One thing that I don't care for with bilevel islands is the problem of knocking things off the back of the ledge.

• granite-girl
    14 years ago

I see no advantage to the raised bar either, I have a 2 & 4 year old & I'd be constantly worried about them climbing up the higher stools & falling off. Plus having the counter at the same level does make for a great work space & easier to help & serve the kids... they can help make cookies... from that side & not get in the way in the kitchen. One of my fondest memories as a kid was making coolies or carving pumpkins at the kitchen counter with my mom. Just doing homework or coloring, crafts would be much easier at one level. I have a two level now & we don't use it. My inlaws have a two level & they have to stand next to my kids when they sit there to eat, which the kids want to climb up there & eat everytime and my in-laws are a little protective....
    So there's me 2 cents about the island...
    Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: granite countertops

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

what's to the left of the fridge (looking at it from the 'top')?
    why not skip the island and make it a U with the sink facing the DR/FR? with a partial wall to keep the dish clutter out of view there?

put the fridge on the other wall w/ the pantry and desk?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

My argument for the level island would be even stronger now hearing the age of your kids...But granite-girl has pretty much covered it quite nicely! :-)

Palimpset, we have 2 dishwashers, and dishes still collect in the sink. (Combination of bad habits and the fact that the dishwashers may be running or clean and waiting to be unloaded.) Not too much gathers on the counters any more, now that we have a compost bucket and the trash/recycle pullout. They have improved the 'mess around the kitchen sink' situation greatly over the kitchen in our last house.

• ktrud
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the input so far! Palimpset - same as rhome410, the main reason for the mess is that the clean dishes haven't been put away, or the DW is running...there always seems to be at least 1 or 2 cups left out...I guess I should just wash them by hand and be done, but we don't:)

I understand all of the arguments for the flat island, and will be doing some more reading on that, but DH argument is that the kids are only little for so long, then we'll have teenagers eating & hanging out in the kitchen...I'm hoping it'll get used for everyday breakfast/lunch on wknds. Dinner will be at the table!

To the left of the fridge right now is a nice sized window, which will eventually be french doors to a deck. We thought about the U, but it does get too cramped cause that window cannot be moved (concrete wall construction - $$$ to move windows!). The room opens to dining area then family room (all one big space).

Palimpset - I'm glad to hear you say keep the fridge where it's at - I'm really struggling with that cause it would make for a ton of space around the stove for prep, it also moves the fridge out of the triangle (I know, old concept, but it works for our little kitchen right now!)

Anyone have a single level island and hate it/wished they had double? THANKS!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

A single level island wouldn't keep you from using it as an eating bar, but the 2nd level could keep you from using it to its full potential. (Plus, I must point out that your 2 yr old won't be a teen for 11 more years...That's a long time to ignore...Then the kids are teens 6 yrs, then they grow up and bring back little ones again.) I have teens and we use the island for lots of family projects, including having their friends over to bake and eat together, etc. Even the teenaged boys suggest baking as an activity when they come over. Ours has a bit different configuration and shape than yours, but your island could function similarly. Here are examples of how it works for our family:

Pizza night:

I start a big project and the kids are drawn in and help out...Because there's plenty of room for everyone willing:

:-)

• ktrud
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rhome410 - you make a *really* good argument for the single level island! This is something we're going to have to really think about...I'm talking to my KD today, so I'll see what she thinks as well. My DH really likes the look of the apron front sink, and with a single level island I think you'd see it better - I'm going to have to go looking for some photos of islands with apron sinks.

I appreciate all the feedback we've gotten! I really am looking forward to being done with the decisions!!

• erikanh
    14 years ago

ktrud, not to gang up on you, but I'm chiming in to also reconsider and change to a single level island! We have a bi-level peninsula in our vacation home, so I have experience with both. Dirty dishes will still be visible over the raised part to anyone walking or standing in the kitchen and anyone seated at the island. And, as rhome pointed out, when you're sitting at your table, the raised portion won't block anything at all from the side. The higher stools are less accessible and less comfortable for children of all ages, seniors and short people. The single level island is also much more useful when multiple people are using the kitchen because they can use all sides of the island. Picture your kids doing craft projects, coloring Easter eggs, decorating cookies, working on school projects. The single level island also works better when you are having a party and want to set out large platters and bowls of food.

P.S. rhome, those photos of your family working together in the kitchen put a smile on my face every time I see them.

• ktrud
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well...you guys really make a convincing argument for a flat island!! We're gonna take the kids out to try out some stools,and I think that'll help make the decision for both me & DH easier!

Rhome410 - those pics really helped my decision - thanks!

erikanh - you're right in that we really aren't blocking much with the raised bar! I am picturing kids doing crafts, cookies, etc - it would be nice to have that whole surface:) thanks for the input!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!