Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill314_gw

What should I get at Ikea?

jill314
9 years ago

Background info: we are about to begin a kitchen renovation. We have done a fair amount of the demolition, and we leave in 2 days for a vacation. The contractor will show up the day after we return to start with the "real thing." So at this point we've done all the "big" choosing - counters, floor, cabinets, appliances, etc.

On our vacation, we'll be very very very close to an Ikea (whereas the closest one to our home is over 4 hours away). I have a couple things in mind to get there, but I'm wondering if anyone here has recommendations for what all I should be looking for to help complete the kitchen. I'm thinking along the lines of organizational things, convenience, and such. This is my one and only chance to get to Ikea probably in the next year or so - I don't want to miss anything important!

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. :)

Comments (55)

• sonny_h
    9 years ago

Ikea has lots of good drawer organizers. I have a few things including variable sized plate/bowl "cubbies" that I use to stack plates and bowls in a deep drawer, drawer depth knife blocks, silverware organizers, etc. They have good under cabinet LED lights, strainers, colanders, oil splatter guards, etc. etc.

I got my kitchen cabinets from Ikea too, and really like their drawer hardware. Very sturdy and configurable.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

G&G posted a cheese grater. :)

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I like the Burken storage jars. The small ones are perfect sugar "bowls". And I use the medium on as a cookie jar.
    I also love the grater/container.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I like the HJÃÂLTE line of kitchen utensils they are very sturdy and nice looking, and easy to hold.
    STRÃÂLANDE
    Grater with handle, stainless steel, dark gray, really nice and easy to hold grater.
    They have some very nice candle holders and candles if you are into that, great for quick gifts.
    I really like the hanging systems for the kitchen, the rails that you hang various things on. I like several of them but my favorite is FINTORP, and GRUNDTAL. I use the GRUNDTAL little round containers with the clear lid and the magnetic back for lots of things including spices and pins in my sewing room. Tons of uses.
    If you need lights or lamps they have some interesting choices. And light bulbs! They have good prices on led bulbs and also batteries.

I really miss having an Ikea near me, I used to go frequently. Now it's a drive to get to the closest one.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

They make battery operated LEDs that go inside your drawers and light up when you open the drawer. I want to get some but they're cheap and cost more to ship than to buy. I'm going to get some next time I'm near an ikea.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Utrusta electrically powered drawer opener, love it for hands free trash! It was somehow tricky for my installers to handle and get adjusted but has worked beautifully since then. I have them on both trash drawers. It is made by Blum (they call theirs servo-drive). It is electric, so you need an outlet for it but you probably have a garbage disposal in the area which will also need electric.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

If you like that look, I like the Grundtal wall shelves, knife holder, as well as those round magnetic spice containers.

Ikea Raskog

Picture frames

Here is a link that might be useful: Grundtal wall storage

• spanky_md
    9 years ago

LOVE that little wheeled cart. I don't really have a need for it but I'm impressed with the look and also it's sturdier than a lot of their little metal furniture pieces.

But for the kitchen, these plastic drawer/cabinet organizer tubs are my favorite and I keep buying more every time I'm there:

There's also a bigger size that is about double that smaller one. I have them in my pantry and put potentially sticky stuff in them (honey, molasses, etc) (also will get one for oils) because it's so much easier to clean that little tub than wipe down a pantry shelf.

They're also great for little things like baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract---stuff you pull out for baking. I am going to get a couple of the big ones for under the sink to keep damp sponges off the cabinet base and just all those cleaning agents that might drip and that you want to pull out easily to use. They fit in the deep drawers, too. I have one for all the annoying plastic lids that get scattered around just from opening and closing a drawer, i think.

Other stuff:

their wood cutlery trays are really, really nice quality

I need to get a magnetic knife strip thing

Drawer and door dampers-- A MUST! So quiet!

If you are storing dishes in drawers, those lift-out plate holders are great for keeping things neat:

There are also adjustable drawer dividers (metal with gray plastic ends) but I would only use them for utensils and big stuff in deep drawers. I used to have them for flatware and the knife blades would slip under the dividers--annoying.

Here is a link that might be useful: small cabinet organizer tubs

• spanky_md
    9 years ago

Also, you can get the sale price on any and all stuff from the kitchen department during the sale as long as your total purchases meet the minimum $3500 and you buy before the sale is over. So if you go back and spend another $20 or $200 or whatever after you buy the cabs, you can still get the sale prices. Just ask in the kitchen department about how to do this. Bring all your receipts with you!

Another fave is this organizer that they have down on the lower level where all the plastic tubs are:

I don't think it's on the website. It's only $2.99. It measures 14 5/8" x 9 3/8" and about 3" deep. I am going to put two of them in a 24" wide junk drawer for pencils, rubber bands, clips, post-its, etc. since I don't have a desk for that stuff. I think two will also fit into an 18" but check interior drawer specs to make sure. They fit front to back with an inch or so left over.

Would also be good for little baking utentils--measuring cups, cookie cutters, measuring spoons, etc.

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

Ikea LEDs are wonderful starter kits ... that is where I got a lot of my ideas. But there are SOOOO many other options out there now - you can buy a 16' reel of lights for $10 - warm white, RBG, or for a little more, combo warm white + RGB. There are regular strips, waterproof outdoor strips - and lots of different channels with much better diffuser (no dots!). There are IR controllers ... RF controllers ... even WiFi adapters so you can run multiple lights from your phone.

The IKEA power supplies are very weak and don't really support more than the lights that are included with each kit. They also don't lend themselves to being used in another channel if you want to put a diffuser on them.

Some places you can go to see what's out there:

www.environmentallights.com (great "neonizer" channels)

Here's one of the many sellers on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/ADX-5050-RGB-LED-Strip-Water-Resistant-Flexible-Controller/dp/B00K0W30UU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1405271396&sr=8-8&keywords=led+reel

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

Ikea LEDs are wonderful starter kits ... that is where I got a lot of my ideas. But there are SOOOO many other options out there now - you can buy a 16' reel of lights for $10 - warm white, RBG, or for a little more, combo warm white + RGB. There are regular strips, waterproof outdoor strips - and lots of different channels with much better diffuser (no dots!). There are IR controllers ... RF controllers ... even WiFi adapters so you can run multiple lights from your phone.

The IKEA power supplies are very weak and don't really support more than the lights that are included with each kit. They also don't lend themselves to being used in another channel if you want to put a diffuser on them.

Some places you can go to see what's out there:

www.environmentallights.com (great "neonizer" channels)

Here's one of the many sellers on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/ADX-5050-RGB-LED-Strip-Water-Resistant-Flexible-Controller/dp/B00K0W30UU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1405271396&sr=8-8&keywords=led+reel

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I wish I had known about that microwave lid yesterday. We have a drawer microwave, which is great except for cleaning the underside of the top - very important to prevent splatter. Oh well, next trip!

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

sj- you can get a similar cover at Target - just not as cheap (we have both!).

• jill314
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! My list is getting long. :)

Looks like I have some lighting homework to do before our trip!

• caligirl5
    9 years ago

The microwave lid is good for splatters, though I like it best when I need to cover something for steaming.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

VARIERA Drawer mat (trim to fit drawer liner that is not-slip). Utilitarian but works great. I'm going to re-use the ones from my old cabinets that are 12 years old - they're in perfectly good condition and I can freshen them in the dishwasher.

• glitter_and_guns
    9 years ago

Thank you Kirkhall - I was posting from my phone and thought I had it set up right. It is the best cheese grater ever.

• spanky_md
    9 years ago

I think that IKEA cheese grater is a knockoff of the Bodum, which is more elegant and fits the hand better. Of course it costs more, too, but I see them at Goodwill every now and then and Tuesday Morning (housewares outlet) used to get them in sometimes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bodum

• User
    9 years ago

I didn't use Ikea cabinets but I went there as soon as my new kitchen was done to see what I could buy! I came back with a cutting board that fit my Kraus sink perfectly, a bunch of those bins that @spanky_md posted, a pot lid organizer ($5, and works great!) And more paper napkins and dish towels and plants, stuff I pick up every time I go there. I need to go back again, this time without a 5yo to distract me.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Do you have an RV? Cuz if you do, it opens up a whole new realm of stuff you should get...

• jill314
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha! No RV, thankfully. :) At this point the trick will be fitting my Ikea haul into our already-full minivan. :)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I would also go with measurements of the spaces you want interior organizers for - drawers, cabinet, shelves, etc. Most likely you'll find things that work well for your spaces. Don't forget to peek at the wardrobe and bathroom organizers, not just the kitchen ones.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I think I want one of those raskog carts for my patio. Epoxy powder coated steel, should be fine on the patio, I'd think.

And the utrusta...interesting. I got the 18" cabinet with double trash pull out with my cabinets (since it was a free promotion when I ordered) and DH's biggest fear is having to use his hands to open the trash after having had Simple Human step on cans forever. That could work. However...I have VERY smart dogs. I'm wondering if anyone has this and has a dog smart enough to get into the trash. That's all I need. We had to go from one step on can with a lid that closed over the can to one where the lid nestled into the can. The dog was smart enough to lift the other one. ::roll eyes:: So I've got that question on it and if other places make something similar besides IKEA.

• jackaround16
    9 years ago

I just bought that little cart yesterday! Not sure where it's going yet but I've been thinking about it for MONTHS.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to say that yes, I think your dog could easily figure out the utrusta. I guess my second best idea for what to buy at Ikea is chocolate, specifically the hazlenut, but the dark is pretty great, too.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0823471129901.html
    There are other options for handsfree trash, including hafele floor pedals. Here is an old but great thread on the subject. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0818331128550.html

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I am loving: the wall-mounted pull out bin under my sink (Variera pull-out container); the Variera plastic bag holder; the over the sink colander (although I find that I use it most often as a dish drainer) and in-sink washing bin; the pot lid organizer; the utensil tray; and I wish that I had saved a bunch of money and gotten their undersink pullout waste sorting bins instead of the Rev-a-shelf unit.

I am going back soon and want to get drawer units to replace the static shelves in the top of my pantry and over frig cabinet, plus look at their new toe-kick drawers, get another roll-up blind, and of course buy several things that I had no plan to look for or buy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea interior kitchen organizers

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

(sotto voce) You WANT to come to the dark side, you do, yes, you really do...

• carolmka
    9 years ago

I love Ikea rugs and of course all of the storage options. But the latest thing I love are the Plastis brushes with the long handles and the suction cups.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Brushes

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Duvet covers and the inserts; curtains; picture frames; their herring, meat balls, and apple tart if they have it.

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Lingonberry jam and the tray dividers for over the fridge cabinet.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

My best advice: go with a preliminary list. As you can see from all the posts, there is a lot available at IKEA. Bring your own bags!

• beenzmail
    8 years ago

Bump.. any other great ideas? I need to place an order soon. I just wish their shipping wasn't so crazy.

• numbersjunkie
    8 years ago

Ikea is one of the those places that you really should take plenty of time to wander through if at all possible. If you have to travel some distance, just make sure you stay the night so you can go back the next day and pick up all the things you laid awake thinking about - "I should have bought that!" I feel lucky to have a few stores not too far away. But I did find that not all stores carry everything that shows online. My closest store is Baltimore, but College Park MD has way more stuff.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I love their huge bamboo chopping board. It's held up rally well and is a great price.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00309829/

It's 18x20 3/4", has a lip to put over your counter top edge and groove on the other side to collect liquid. All for 14.99.

• beenzmail
    8 years ago

Our closest store is 4 hours away. I don't mind ordering, but $40 shipping for a small thing is frustrating.

• amck2
    8 years ago

Timely post! DD's BD is this weekend and just yesterday we made a trip to the one nearest us in Stoughton, MA. It's a little over 4 hr. round trip. For the past 3 yrs. it's what she's wanted to do to celebrate her BD.

It's great for practical items and accent pieces that allow for seasonal decor changes that are affordable but, IMO, don't look cheap. I like their simple ceramic pots for plants on my windowsill and have them in several colors.

We bought pillow covers and a decorative throw for DD's LR. She has good down-filled pillows and these offer a refresh without their being too precious to let the kids actually use the pillows.

I have an induction stovetop and they have a new line of pots that work on it that I love. I picked up a new little saucepan yesterday. They're lighter weight than my LC ones, have glass covers & silicone knobs that are easy to handle and come in an attractive bronze finish. Under $30 for a 2 qt. pot w/ a strainer in the lid.

We are big fans of their looped bath mats- around $10. They are cushy underfoot, absorb well and wash easily. Look like new after drying. I get white, but they come in a rainbow of cool colors, including black & grey.

They feature limited edition designer items in the marketplace section. They had nice pottery last time I went and I got a pitcher for fall flowers. Yesterday, we found hand blown vases for $5.99. I bought a really neat modern shaped grey glass vase to fill w/ flowers and give to my sister for her upcoming BD. It cost $10.

Those are some things that come to mind. The pic below is a mini handblown dessert stand I got last time. Just the right size for a tea-sized cake or fancy cookies.

• huango
    8 years ago

in case no one mentioned it, I love my 2 (wish I bought more) Ikea metal trivet trays (long rows of connected metal sticks?) = IKEA LAMPLIG.

i like their red measuring cups/spoons.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

I live about 30 minutes from Ikea now , but when I lived about three hours away it was a worthy destination for an all day road trip. I think it's worth the drive for outfitting your new kitchen.

I've never bought anything from Ikea online, but I just don't think it can compare to slowly walking through the store and taking it all in. I go there about 4-6 times a year and it always amazes me how I always see a new product or a new idea.

• numbersjunkie
    8 years ago

I'm loving this thread. And I have this very strong urge to jump in my car and run to IKEA right now! Also wondering if I should budget for the odd and ends stuff I know I will end up with when I do my remodel...

• beenzmail
    8 years ago

I'm sure we'll get there eventually but I want the motor for the trash can installed when the GC is here. Two busy teenagers and a weekend trip to shop isn't in the plans right now. Thanks for the fun ideas.

• divotdiva2
    8 years ago

Ditto on the VARIERA Drawer liners. I bought two rolls years ago and loved them. I'm in Hawaii so the shipping is ridiculous. When I visit family in the mainland I go to the Pittsburgh store. Last time I went I bought about 20 rolls of those drawer liners and checked the box in as luggage back to HI. They are now sitting in storage waiting for the kitchen renov. Stuff stays put on the mat inside the drawer when you use these.

• numbersjunkie
    8 years ago

Does anyone have the Grunwald dish drainer? Looks cool but wondering if it is large enough to be useful.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Another place for similar drawer liner is Costco. Someone here (sorry, can't remember) recommended it and I stocked up when it was recently on sale.

I have that dish drainer -- the one that hangs on the rail. I like the idea, but it didn't work for me. Small, kind of flimsy-ish. It's actually in my donation box. I went back to a drying mat. I'm probably going to try one of those roll up over the sink drainers next after the new sink gets installed.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I love the thin cork placemats. I put them under the pretty placements because they protect the table from heat and spills better than most placemats alone and you don't even know they're under because they're fairly thin. I also use them under hot serving bowls/platters because they're so much bigger than a trivet and makes it easier to place things when people are passing the food containers around the table.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I prefer the Costco liner. For whatever reason, IKEA's kept on curling and never stayed flat.

Also, try their rhubarb/raspberry crumble in the frozen food section.

And that Variera hole thing for plastic bag storage for 2.00. It comes with a stick on back.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80010222/

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I love my Ikea plastic bag holder. Never thought of using it for other things. Now I think I'll get one for my closet for my scarves! And one for my MIL for all her yarn. Thanks, nosoccermom.

• ascorsonelli
    8 years ago

This thread is DANGEROUS! Shame the closest IKEA is 2.5hrs away. Looks like I'll be forking over 25-30$ in shipping costs for things I "need" for the new kitchen!

• flamingfish
    8 years ago

Nobody mentioned the cinnamon rolls yet? They're about a billion calories each, but so good.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Oh, lingonberry jam!